Comparison of previous 'Elites' (official and otherwise) up to Elite Dangerous

The YouTube video about Raxxla was interesting. I read The Dark Wheel with my BBC copy when I was fifteen, but didn't absorb much of that stuff, or if I did, I'd forgotten about it. It's piqued my interest in the lore of Elite after all these years.

Lave as well. The tree grub became extinct :(

No, it didn't. ;)

- Excerpt from Elite Dangerous: Premonition, the official Elite Dangerous novel by Drew Wagar:

‘Have a look,’ Bill suggested.
She approached it and touched the plexiglass exterior. It was warm under her fingers. She rubbed at it, trying to see.
Something moved, quicker than she could see, smashing against the glass with a dull thump.
She jolted back, staggering against a nearby railing to steady herself.
A ghastly face was crushed against the glass. It was all eyes and teeth, a grey rubbery visage surrounded by tentacles and claws. It writhed angrily, the teeth and claws scraping at the glass, impotently.
Bill was laughing at her reaction. Tsu turned to glare at him, noticing Raan also looked pale, his eyes wide. Salomé looked unmoved, but Hassan was chuckling again.
‘What is that … thing?’ she demanded.
‘Cute, ain’t it?’ Bill said. ‘The historians say they’re extinct, but there are quite a few still about if you know where to look. Don’t listen to what the academics say. We’ll bring ’em back eventually, when the market is right and we can guarantee the environment is secure. Those fools on Ashoria are a little short of cash right now, unfortunately.’
The creature shuffled around against the glass and then, apparently bored, disappeared within once more, leaving a mucus-like stain behind it.
‘Somebody will pay for that?’ Tsu asked. ‘It’s the most disgusting thing I’ve ever seen.’
‘We’re wasting time,’ Salomé said.
‘Lavian Tree Grub,’ Bill said, ignoring Salomé. ‘An acquired taste I’ll agree, bit like the planet it comes from and the people who live there.’
‘I thought they couldn’t be bred in captivity?’ Raan asked.
Bill coughed. ‘A convenient fiction aimed at retaining exclusivity. Don’t believe everything you read in those gazetteers. Keep moving.’

Cheers,

Drew.

Last edited:
Prior to Elite: Dangerous, I’d never heard of the series. Looking back at the old versions, I didn’t miss anything. Not something I’d have played back then. Not something I’d play now, for free.

Thanks for sharing here on the forums. I don't frequent most of the social-media type platforms.

Looking forward to checking this out soon when I have some more time.

Cheers.

No, it didn't. ;)

- Excerpt from Elite Dangerous: Premonition, the official Elite Dangerous novel by Drew Wagar:

‘Have a look,’ Bill suggested.
She approached it and touched the plexiglass exterior. It was warm under her fingers. She rubbed at it, trying to see.
Something moved, quicker than she could see, smashing against the glass with a dull thump.
She jolted back, staggering against a nearby railing to steady herself.
A ghastly face was crushed against the glass. It was all eyes and teeth, a grey rubbery visage surrounded by tentacles and claws. It writhed angrily, the teeth and claws scraping at the glass, impotently.
Bill was laughing at her reaction. Tsu turned to glare at him, noticing Raan also looked pale, his eyes wide. Salomé looked unmoved, but Hassan was chuckling again.
‘What is that … thing?’ she demanded.
‘Cute, ain’t it?’ Bill said. ‘The historians say they’re extinct, but there are quite a few still about if you know where to look. Don’t listen to what the academics say. We’ll bring ’em back eventually, when the market is right and we can guarantee the environment is secure. Those fools on Ashoria are a little short of cash right now, unfortunately.’
The creature shuffled around against the glass and then, apparently bored, disappeared within once more, leaving a mucus-like stain behind it.
‘Somebody will pay for that?’ Tsu asked. ‘It’s the most disgusting thing I’ve ever seen.’
‘We’re wasting time,’ Salomé said.
‘Lavian Tree Grub,’ Bill said, ignoring Salomé. ‘An acquired taste I’ll agree, bit like the planet it comes from and the people who live there.’
‘I thought they couldn’t be bred in captivity?’ Raan asked.
Bill coughed. ‘A convenient fiction aimed at retaining exclusivity. Don’t believe everything you read in those gazetteers. Keep moving.’

Cheers,

Drew.

Ah, thanks for that. I eh... guess I need to keep up. I still remember the old description from the '80's and saw this in game :)

1581544172236.png

Prior to Elite: Dangerous, I’d never heard of the series. Looking back at the old versions, I didn’t miss anything. Not something I’d have played back then. Not something I’d play now, for free.
Oolite is actually awesome. So many features in that that ED is missing. Longer missions (with albeit amateur story), all sorts of NPC chatter, thargoids that feel like a threat, more mission varieties, enough ship variety to choke a starport. Before ED came along it was the best elite experience and still had many things I miss.

Oolite is actually awesome. So many features in that that ED is missing. Longer missions (with albeit amateur story), all sorts of NPC chatter, thargoids that feel like a threat, more mission varieties, enough ship variety to choke a starport. Before ED came along it was the best elite experience and still had many things I miss.
Enjoy it. I looked at it and it failed to impress me. I pay no attention to NPC chatter, I either shoot them or ignore them. I stay away from Thargoids because I don’t enjoy expending barrages of Premium Ammo turning them into coleslaw. For all the ships we have, I generally only fly 1 of 3, none of which are that bit of trash called the Cobra.
Mission length does not mean mission quality, and I didn’t come here for the story. I came for the look, and Oolite doesn’t have it. It looks like a dressed up version of Star Fox from the SNES. If that’s what I wanted, I still own Star Fox.

But enjoy what you enjoy. I’ll do the same and we’ll both be happy.

That other game caught my eye. I've already forgotten what it's called - Pioneer or something. I missed Elite 2 and 3 (I was serving on a real ship during those years) so I'm almost tempted to give it a try.

That other game caught my eye. I've already forgotten what it's called - Pioneer or something. I missed Elite 2 and 3 (I was serving on a real ship during those years) so I'm almost tempted to give it a try.
Pioneer was/is pretty awesome. Played a bit before ED dropped.
Otherwise I always went back to First Encounters, since it was pretty easy to run on modern computers and also came with decent graphics upgrades. I really loved the prequels for their science and freedom and feeling of space faring.

Top Bottom