Competition: Your Fondest Frontier Memory!

Right from the very start in wireframe this has been the most fantastic game. I remember logging every trade board in every system and had a book full of the current values of commodities. Trying to get my ship through the letterbox was always a challenge. Working out where my enemies were coming from and of course, The Blue Danube every time I docked. I have played every other space trading game but it was always Elite I missed. Now the game is a wonder to behold. The graphics are truly amazing and the journeys are endless. It has been an wonderful joy in my life and still manages to hold me 6 hours a day. Truly Epic. Thank You FD.

I 1st played elite on my rubber keys speccy but I fell in love with it when I picked it up for my Amiga a500... However my biggest stand out memory was when I finally got to see the Frontier preview in must have been 1992. I think it was an entire year of nail biting waiting but when I 1st saw the ship taking off and being chased by a couple of eagles I was hooked. (I even have a remastered version of its iconic theme on my playlist in my car)

Last edited:
My best memory was when i finally got the horizons dlc and i went straight for a planetairy landing and it was magic. I set course for one of the stations on the surface, tention was rising as the side of the planet i was aproaching was very dark. I had little experience in the game itself but i believed in myself, i was going to bring my ship gently on the surface and drive around like a real pioneer. So here am I sitting, little sweaty but okay, then the glide activates. It was awesom.... I wasn't paying all to much atention to the altitude meter, only to the distance left between me and the station. As it got closer and closer I CRASH INTO THE SURFACE.

But it was okay... I landed and continued my journey with the SRV. I ended up pressing a wrong button and dismissing my ship wich resulted inme being stranded there untill a stranger came to my rescue and told me i could simply recall my ship.

A Confession

So, Elite and me started together in 1984 under slightly... contentious circumstances. It goes like this...

I worked as a Saturday boy at a leading High Street electrical retailer, and we sold computers. BBC B's, Dragons, Ataris, Acorn Atoms, all that. We also sold the games. And there were a lot of hi-fi units with double cassette decks, and lots of cassettes in the shop. So, as any enterprising teenager would, I knocked off a copy of Elite for myself, as I had a BBC B at home.

It took me three attempts to get a copy that would load, though, and even that would never load first time onto my Beeb. Usually managed it by the third (fourth or fifth) time of trying. Then I could immerse myself in a brilliant 32bit universe the like of which was nowhere to be found anywhere else. Many's the time when my parents screamed up the stairs for me to "get off that bloody computer" and come down for dinner. Probably amongst the first parents to do that, at the start of the age of computer games. They were pioneers.

I got to be Elite on that knock-off copy. I was very proud of that, although guilt (and the desire to own the wonderful manual that came with the game, still a classic) overtook me and I bought it, eventually. Time, education, work and family overtook me, and my Beeb and my illegal games went to the landfill as they do. Other versions of Elite wafted into my view, but they never had the brilliance of the first one and my interest waned. In my late thirties, I bought an old Beeb from a computer fair and another copy of Elite, just to own, not to play (although it's still in the loft so, who knows?).

Then came Elite Dangerous. I'm sorry, but I was skeptical (the releases since the first one weren't good) so I waited and, therefore, never got a Founders pass (regretting that decision). But I got it when it came out and it has been bloody awesome! It's right back to 1984 when you got a thrill at every rank increase, the Thargoids are here (although slightly too beefy for this 52 year old) and the galaxy is simply stunning. I always prefer flying the old ships... it took a while to part ways with my Cobra MkIII... and I tend to fly Pythons now. I use it to relax, doing a lot of trade runs and, generally, gazing at the beautiful starfields, planets and stars, brilliantly authentic space stations and ships.

So, there you have it. I'm sorry I nicked it, back in the day, but it was worth it. The first really BIG computer game, in scope, depth and gameplay, and I played it to death.

Elite has been in my life since I was 17. It'll still be there when I'm 71.

Last edited:
I saved up for what seemed like weeks to spend the vast* sum of £15 on a cassette copy of Elite for my BBC. From then on, it was something I tried to limit my game time to after doing homework, though the largest chunk of time I got to devote to it was always on Sunday mornings. Then, I would put on a couple of suitable albums, and disappear into another world as I fought my way into Anarchy worlds with holds full of Computers, Gems, and anything else that would make a profit. I named my Cobra "The Hammer" after a favourite Motorhead track that I liked to play as I demolished wave after wave of Mambas :)

The moment I remember best of all though, was that one Sunday morning after what seemed like months of playing, when my commander's status screen changed from "Deadly" to "- - - E L I T E - - -". That was a slow smile of tremendous satisfaction, and the ability to send off my letter of application to the "Order of Elite" :)

Since I stopped gaming seriously when I went to college, there have been only two times that I have either bought myself a new computer, or purchased a game. Once was back in 1993/4 when "Frontier" came out, and the other was last year when I finally got it together enough to get a rig that would run Elite Dangerous.

(*) That was about 3 times the cost of a standard game back then!

I played ELITE already on my 8bit machine in the 80th until i did get Rank ELITE.
I didnt like the ELITE II Title 10 years later.

Elite Dangerous is and was a good follow-up. Still, it has too many cheaters caused by the stupidity to use p2p instead of ded servers.
And yes, i would love to pay a low monthly charge to play but getting cheater-free and stable sessions.

PS: why cant we land on the moon?! it has no atmosphere, so?!

Whilst I have some amazing memories of the original Elite, the memory that sticks in my mind to this day is from Frontier:Elite 2 played on a PC.

I had reached Elite status, had managed to procure a Panther Clipper (the largest vessel in the game) and was making a trade run with hold full of valuable items. As I docked and went to sell my items, I realised there was a massive shortage in place and the sell value was astronomical - or so it seemed to me at the time.

I was now rich beyond my wildest dreams and realised everything I ever wanted to do was easily within reach. No more grinding, no more worrying, just smooth sailing.

As a very conservative player, I rarely take risks but I realised that I had effectively ruined the game for myself. On a whim, and without saving, I exited the stardock and proceeded to perform a hyperspace mis-jump. This is where you force a jump to a random location anywhere in the galaxy. I ended up over 1000ly away with little fuel and a starmap showing stars and systems I has never heard of let alone dreamed of visiting.

The scale of the game staggered my teenage brain and for the first time I truly appreciated the effort that the developers put into making the game.

Thank you FDEV.

I started playing Elite a little while after it launched, as a freshman in High School in 1985. My best friend turned me on to the game, and it quickly became an obsession for both of us. As sci-fi nerds from the time we were little kids, we found that this was the game that finally allowed us to put aside the cardboard-and-plywood Millennium Falcons of our childhood, giving us a way to digitally captain our fantasy ships instead. While our opinions on the best starship captain differed (He was always more Han and I was ever pro-James T.), it didn’t matter while we played Elite, because we were the captains, we charted the course and made the calls. I can’t tell you how many hours we sat watching each other blow up pirates, scoop cargo, and travel the galaxy as we hunted down stolen prototype ships, survived Thargoids pulling us out of hyperspace, and tried to figure out a way to get rid of those damn trumbles cluttering up our cockpit.

We grew apart after we left school. We had both aspired to join the military when we came of age, with his dream being a pilot, while mine was to be a ship captain (because Han vs. Kirk…). While I was able to become an officer, his dreams were sidelined by the onset of diabetes, something that I think widened the gap we had experienced upon leaving school. We hardly talked for a number of years, and when we did, our conversations usually ended on sour notes. Despite our differences, though, we could always count on our memories of Elite to be a conversation point that provided us civil, common ground – a lifeboat we could jump onto whenever the waters of our discussion became too turbulent.

My friend died in 2011 after failing to adequately monitor his blood sugar levels, going into a coma that he never came out of. Divorced, he lived alone and so wasn’t found until he had missed a few days of work. I did all of the required tasks – wrote the letters, supported the family, expressed my grief to those who also grieved. But to truly reconcile my feelings on the matter, to put them all to bed, I figured there could only be one way. A few days after the funeral, I installed a C64 emulator (Frodo, if I recall correctly) and mounted an image of Elite. A few minutes later, I was in the cockpit of my youth once more, plotting a path out of Lave and into the black as I sipped at a 12-year single malt, a second cup immediately next to it full but with no corporeal owner, poured out for the deceased. I spent the better part of a night there, embracing the austere beauty of the wireframe ships as long-dormant memories of late nights in front of a CRT and empty glass coke bottles flowed to the forefront of my thoughts. My friend was there, too, both of us 15 again, his laugh clear in my head as I crashed against the side of the station as I attempted to dock, coming in way too fast and at a bad angle, me arguing aloud in my empty office that while he might be the better pilot, he was trash when it came to figuring trade routes. It was a grand time that was over altogether too soon, as work and life responsibilities forced me to gather the memories that now lay splayed around me into a neat stack, returning them to the time capsule from which they had come, said capsule once again re-buried deep within the concrete foundation of the adult psyche, hidden so that I might not be inconvenienced by their reminder of my own mortality.

I know you guys were looking for our best memories of Elite, and while I can’t say that the one I’ve related is the happiest, I would hope that at the very least it illustrates how impactful your creation was to a couple of nerdy ‘80s kids. Elite: Dangerous is currently the most-played game in my bloated Steam library, clocking in at 1431 hours as of this morning. Honestly, I have no idea where those hours went – I’ve enjoyed every one of them. So, Happy Birthday, Frontier. I look forward to seeing where you take us next.

Last edited:
My favoritt moment was when i budy of me and i was going to play Elite Dagerus for the first time. We talked thro Discord trying to find eatch other (keep in mind we had just donloded the game and belastes thro the totorial without paying atantion). And we spent about 15min before i wanted to start to kil some one while he tried to figure out where he was (with no help form the internet). And i staker this dud and was chasing him for 30 min until we realised that it was me. 😂😂 #noobs

In this long journey to the center of everything,
I almost lost everything so many times,
So I realized how precious life was
But while discovering the heart of Sagittarius
I saw a real fetus emerge,
So I realized that life was ... an eternal beginning.

59441x5690.jpg

All this ... thanks to Frontier! ;)
CMDR Darshane - fr

Wow ... well ... I was always a huge fan of space games. I played Wing Commander as a kid in the US, but when i saw the release of Elite Dangerous from beta, i was immediately intrigued. I bought it a few days after the official release and immediately realized this was the game i wanted. The feeling of being a pilot, in space, with complex ships and tons of room to explore and become whatever kind of Commander I wanted. It took a few weeks to gain control of ship and learn to pilot, but i love the difficulty of that learning curve. I remember the first time i successfully took down an Anaconda by sub-targeting the Power Plant with my Viper Mk III. What a rush! Those payouts as a starting pilot seemed so epic and dangerous to achieve. Here i am thousands of hours later, triple elite, and still in love with the game.

Thanks FDev!

Tbh, I baughted Elite Dangerous and played it a bit, thought Jurassic World Evolution was the game which got me hooked. Sadly my safefile got currupted.
Thought the support is quick and friendly

Undoubtedly taking a trip with my brother out to the Heart Nebula. Passed a few evenings. Saw some great sights. How gaming should be done.

FAE660DE47158B5A0B05E426C766BA910D2441D2

This is a tough question to answer for me, because I've had so many fond memories in Elite Dangerous such as:
  • the dangerous journey I took with my new Cobra Mk III (early 2016) to get to Imperial Space from where I started, using the PowerPlay map as a guide. Nearly ran out of fuel a couple of times
  • When I finally got the rank and bought my Imperial Clipper
  • When I finally got the rank and bought my Imperial Cutter
  • When I finally got the rank and bought my Federal Corvette

However, my fondest memory would have to be one that was both scary and cool at the same time. After letting my Anaconda (trade spec) collect dust for 9 months, replaced by the Cutter for trading, I decided to refit it and engineer it for a full multimission/combat spec, like my Corvette. This involved traveling to a lot of engineers throughout the day and I started to get sloppy due to being tired. This lead to me nearly losing the ship when I went to visit Lei Cheung to make my shields G5 Reinforced...

My engines hadn't been engineered yet, I was tired, and made a bad approach to the planet. This lead to me exiting glide facing straight down at his base. Now I remembered it was a high G world, but I was tired, and not being as cautious as I should be. I was several red bars in on the downward thrust indicator. At 5 km of altitude, I leveled my ship with the horizon and started thrusting upwards to cancel the momentum. Unfortunately, I also deployed my landing gear, which greatly reduced the amount of thrust I could apply to slow my descent. This dawned on me as my altitude kept plummeting. Four kilometers, three kilometers, two kilometers, 1.5 km and still dropping like a rock. I realized I wasn't going to stop in time, put the nose up to 90 degrees and set thrust at 100% with 4 pips in engines and 2 in shields. Still no good, dropping like a rock. Once I was down to 500 meters, I switched to four pips into SYS to reinforce the shields and prepared to crash.

My Anaconda hit the ground aft end first, instantly losing shields and the hull dropped to 80%. Alarms were screaming, the Anaconda was sparking all along the hull, and we bounced. The ship went back up slightly, the nose fell forward, and it plowed forward - scraping small hills on either side - for about 200 meters. This crash landing was reminiscent of all those crashes on the old Lost in Space show as well as the Saucer section crash landing of the Enterprise 1701-D in Star Trek Generations. When the ship finally came to a stop, I was surprised I wasn't getting the "Eject! Eject!" warning you get when losing a ship. Instead, my Anaconda had come to a stop and smoke and sparks were rising up from my visibly damaged hull (Anaconda is the only ship in the game with a detailed damage model). My hull was down to 13%! However, I had zero module damage. I put all pips back into engines, kept the ship level, and slowly lifted off and gently flew over to the landing pad that had been assigned to me. When I set down, I could believe I made it. I took a look at the outside of the ship and was amazed at the detail of the hull damage. Not only did it look really cool, but all the damaged areas matched the impact points. It was so cool, I had to take screenshots of it. Sadly, these don't do full justice to artwork involved, as all the sparks, smoke, internal yellow flashing lights (under ripped up hull panels) just don't show up in static shots. Really wish I'd knew how to record video then. Here are the shots of the ship sitting on the landing pad:

va3aJPi.png

Md0ypjz.png

0dJBE2x.png

4faD6Gp.png

yfXiZ7j.png

IQ3DT0j.png

H7UmB7W.png

Last edited:
Individually it would have to be the first time I was interdicted by a Thargoid. Just peacefully exploring and jumping between systems when the warnings began to sound. The ship dropping from hyperspace with all systems offline. Looking around in confusion, ice crystals forming on the cockpit glass before hearing a strange sound as a truly alien craft glided into view and slowly pivoted to face my ship. Watching in awe as the alien craft lit up and began to change, spreading the petal like vanes before blasting my ship with a powerful light. Then watching it glide away setting my ship into a spin. Simply amazing and one of the greatest moments I've ever experienced while gaming.

As part of the community it would be participating in deciphering the mysteries surrounding the Formadine Rift and the Unknown Probes and Artefacts. Being driven to explore the universe in search of it's secrets led to reaching Elite in Exploration and still stands as my favorite activity in Elite: Dangerous.

Thank you for making so many great games and Congratulation on 25 years!

Last edited:
My most fond memory was way back in 2008 when my dad introduced me to Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. I loved making the craziest attractions with my dad. Weather it be a normal coaster or one that plunged well below the surface, my dad and I made it all. As I grew older I got into career mode and had a tone of fun trying not to plung into debt from building a single ride with one too many loops. I had become so fond of video gaming after playing RCT3 that I started to get into so many more games to see what I was missing. So I can safely say that RCT3 is the reason why I love video games and joined the Gamma phase of Elite Dangerous.

What is a fond memory of Elite Dangerous?

I have a few, but one that comes to mind at this moment is when I purchased my first Cobra MK III, the USS Trocar. Yes, I know that prior to purchasing the Cobra MK III I had purchased the Hauler, Adder, Eagle MK II, and Viper MK III, but it wasn't until I owned and outfitted the Cobra MK III that I felt as though I was advancing in my commander career (mainly because the ship is multi-purposed). I was able to do better paying cargo runs, have better success at RES sites, CZ sites and bounty hunting, and have longer hyperdrives during exploring. Obviously, the best part about it was that I was able to have all these features without having to switch ships.

Yes, much like a high school teen who has memories of his first car, such as I have with the USS Trocar. I have many other ships now, much bigger and more profitable, but I keep my Cobra MK III in my fleet, occasionally paying the ship transfer fee so I can have a leisurely drive around the local systems of the galaxy, as though taking a drive through the country on a Sunday afternoon.

And when I do these leisurely cruises, I am able to look out the front window of my Cobra MK III and see the expansive space that is before me, speckled with dots of light and colorful clouds, and I am reminded that there is so much to do.

Yet, in that same moment, there is some bitterness, because I also am reminded that there is so little time.

Yes, so little time.

But the bitterness ebbs, and I turn up the music. I engage the hyperdrive, pointing the nose of the Cobra MK III to the next system, and when the countdown starts, I begin to wonder what will happen next.

And that's the best thing about life.

Wondering what will happen next.

HARRY TAKES A SUNDAY CRUISE WITH THE BEACH BOYS PLAYING​

[video=youtube_share;Ij8nhUhC5Ow]https://youtu.be/Ij8nhUhC5Ow[/video]​

Hi, even though not a prolific poster here I’m glad to be here among ED pilots and this community and I’m more than happy to share with you my fondest memory.

It was upon reaching Colonia after a two week journey in my trusty stead, my Asp Explorer. What an epic trip that was experiencing Neutron stars for the first time and acquiring the skills to utilise their power for a 130+ly jump. Simply amazing. In my video I trust I captured some of that magic for you all to experience.

https://youtu.be/ItHNqeBiDVk

Cmdr Voodoo

Top Bottom