Competition: Your Fondest Frontier Memory!

Gotta say that my current favorite moment in Elite: Dangerous was the first time I found and exploded a cored asteroid. That was a fantastic experience - cranked up my sound, settled back in the chair, and listened to a nice massive explosion all over my ship. It was great!

Elite on the Commodore 64 was th first game I remember rushing back from school to play night after night, it was a social experience a whole bunch of friends were playing it and comparing notes and data. It was brilliant fun.

back at the launch of elite dangerous, i always remember my first encounter with a distant star. dropped into system inside a viper without scan , looking around show me a little shiny dot. douring the journey to it, it become bigger and bigger, it was a star, with other planets orbit around, and ton of moons, simply amazing

I can still remember Elite on the Amiga 500, with its typrewriter-effect mission briefings. The missions were so mysterious, since nobody knew when and how they did appear. I can still remember figthing the "Constrictor", the insanely difficult mission 2 (escape pod trick), the Supernova, the cloaked Cougar and finally the Thargoid Space station.
Some of the best days of my childhood.

My fondest memory playing Elite was the first CG (if I remember right) in Maia at Obsidian Orbital after 2.4 dropped. Me and a lot of SDC members were in Gunships, with full fixed double shot frags. I also was running a Grom FSD reboot missile. This was prob the most fun week I have ever had in Elite. We were killing ships so fast, we were making gifs out of the kills instead of videos.

Here is a few highlights in this video from that CG.
[video=youtube;JkHj9RyenIA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkHj9RyenIA[/video]

Last edited:
A long long time ago…. when silicon was at the beginning the matter had to take shape there was only one console ...... Atari 2600.
rfzRJc9

rfzRJc9m.jpg

The world still had to know the future, a future where it would explode suddenly bringing knowledge where we find it today.

That future where everything started is called Commodore !!!

Nobody knew, nobody could know, but a star was about to be born was the Commodore 64.

UdjcjVZm.jpg

That star so bright that all sorts of development of video games took shape, there was one in particular that the generations could not, and will never forget, the best selling game is the most famous in the world, Elite.

Then, like all the stars that exhaust their lifeblood but which give rise to an even bigger star from which every form of life would take shape... that Star was, Commodore Amiga.

FVUWN5Im.jpg
Uyc3l2Pm.jpg
lXYqJdcm.jpg
72HFfs3m.jpg
jL5BdZpm.jpg
yBcVPITm.jpg
C7hu8sAm.jpg
Awhimj6m.jpg

From here it was born and took shape Elite 2 with a graphic, and a new evolution where it is today with a technology to the maximum of realism we know it with the name Elite Dangerous.

9Iyz2sBm.jpg
VShpfKMm.jpg
jOaPYqFm.jpg
P9hHqdtm.jpg

Sleepless nights, explored galaxies, uncovered planets, all in 1:1 scale, in the Milky Way galaxy, this is Elite Dangerous !!!

v9zCUipm.png
zdetwgom.png
LOGPZufm.png
ntQJo0Nm.png
uLmUqVxm.png
GH76ZoNm.png
8hwPuT7m.png
cjH5rvrm.png
WsxWCh0m.png
oiXwgUPm.png
RSpMawum.png
7vq4gwdm.png

Created by David Braben, founder of the frontier, today we have the most realistic space videogame in which we can be immersed to visit the Milky Way galaxy.

CMDR T.J. Kirk

Last edited:
WKiw5hD

Taking my valiant Adder into the (what I considered then) to be the depths of space.

It is just around the block from Obsidian station....give or take a couple of hundred light-years.

I was building up cash to buy an Asp.

https://imgur.com/a/SGkGo

This little ship was what "made" elite dangerous, feel like I was playing Elite again. It was the first Multipurpose ship.

I had to gather my family around to show off the "second" seat, the cup-holders.
It was this magical dream of flying around those early starter systems, and hauling that adders backside to the first CG, and then into the mining gold rush, when a dwarf star or neutron start, yanked me out of supercruise. Now returning there with flaring plasma has a totally different feel.

And let's face it, no one ever forgets their first hutton run.
https://imgur.com/a/NL9Ll

Using my souped up Adder to defeat "the code",
https://imgur.com/a/41sac

or when I glitched and fell into a a thargoid base.
iNodhCX

https://imgur.com/a/aIxmq

Or that time i got intercepted in my Adder by a thargoid.
xOIDoiz

So many moments.

My fondest memory of Elite: Dangerous definitely has to be seeing a planet with an atmosphere. I don't remember which it was exactly but it was earth-like and had water and life on it. It was just so surreal seeing something like that in a video game.

Fondest moment...it's playing the original 1984 Elite on my C64...back then...many moons ago. :D
ED brings back so many childhood memories!

My first Thargoid fight in my Ati-Xeno Conda. Dropped in to a threat 8 and immediately had to run away. Learned how the numbering system worked that day and it was an amazing experience all around to see such pandemonia. Loved it. Then I went to a threat 5 and slapped a Cyclops around a little lol.

I haven't played any Frontier games prior to Elite: Dangerous, but I have so many memories from that that it's hard to pick one standout.

I've found Twitch communities involving Elite that have really helped me during a bad year, I've featured in a clip posted by the Elite Dangerous Twitter account, blowing up my SRV in hilarious fashion, and with Dom's help I even made Ed explain what a Fuel Rat is.

I think probably one of my favourites though has to be when I helped a new commander out, and particularly, on my trip to Colonia in December, I invited her to multicrew and showed her her first neutron star. It genuinely brought a tear to her eye, and I felt privileged to have gone from a new commander last January to helping a new one on her beginnings and then being able to show her that. On another day when I returned to the bubble we both went on our first journeys to Hutton Orbital too.

So many memories from Elite onwards.. Just a few highlights..
My first exposure to elite, back in 1984. I was visiting my cousin and he was playing elite on the Acorn Election. I saw that spinning cobra and.. I was there!.. in my mind it was just.. real. He even let me write the prices down on his notepad between Lave and Diso. A year later, it was out on the zx spectrum and that was that.

Many years later Elite 2, became the first game I had an overnight sessions with. Started playing it at 6pm and stopped at 6am when I had to go to work.

and from then on.. way too many to mention..

I think I can finally arrange my thoughts on the best memories I have had with Frontier Games.

I think my first encounter with Frontier was Elite II. My father introduced me to the world of gaming and for my birthday, being also very interested in space, he thought this would be the perfect gift. Elite II quickly became one of my favourite games and it has a special place in my heart still.

Though, Elite II is not the fondest memory, many many years later Elite: Dangerous was released. Of course my head went "hey, that's a title you remember! Let's go to outer space!" And that is where it all went wrong. (Not really). The first moments in Elite: Dangerous were just awe striking, the sheer size of the galaxy, the possibilities, a whole galaxy for me to explore!

After many hours, days and weeks of trading, I could finally avoid a ship fit for my needs. The Diamondback Explorer. More and more amazing worlds were there to be found as I went further and further from my home system. This absolute love for exploration, documentation and research would soon give birth to something I never thought would happen: A social media account purely for a fictional character within the Elite universe. Every time I start up Elite I wonder what strange and impressive worlds await, but one thing is for sure, I have rarely invested this much time and effort in video games and I hope that I can keep investing time almost every day.

In short, my fondest memory in all these years is indeed starting my own expedition and contributing to the countless collectors of screenshots and mapping project, it is almost like true astronomy.

Frontier, thank you for an amazing 25 years and especially for an amazing 3 - 4 years.

Discovering my first fully unexplored system in Elite. had 4 stars, 3 gas giants, and an ELW, that's when i realized that I was in the game for the long haul. Cheers for making such a beautiful universe!

My favorite memory of playing Elite was funny situation when I was in inside a station and wanted to show myself flying out of coriolis in Open. I boosted my type-9 through mailslot and hitted some players Cobra. He flew away like snooker ball. After this we added each other to friends and we are flying together very often now.

My favourite memory of Elite has to to be the first time I discovered it one day in 1985 on a BBC micro computer my school had recently purchased, I think the game disk came with it and nobody knew anything about it and I spent my lunch break trying it out. I can still remember loading it up the first time and being amazed at seeing the rotating 3D ship on the screen and then even more when I realized the game actually let you fly the ship in an open universe! Needless to say, many lunch/recess breaks were spent playing Elite at school and it wasn’t long before I got my own copy for my home computer (C64).... resulting in a 30 year addiction to all things Elite!

My best memory was in Elite: Dangerous, when I accidentaly bumped into the station wall at a weird angle and got launced to the next system over. Had to relog to get back to the station.

Top Bottom