Competition: Your Fondest Frontier Memory!

My most memorable moment was in the 1980s on a BBC micro. There were only about three games that were not sprite based - Revs, (racing car game), Flight, and Elite. All sort of vector graphics, very stark, but all the more immersive. I remember the first time that Thargoids attacked me in witch-space. I believe I survived - I used to have a rear-facing laser so I could run away and shoot, (though it meant operating the controls backwards), and continuing the jump when they were all dead, or too far away. Hopefully Thargoids in E:D don't rediscover how to attack you mid-jump!

When asked about my best memory from a Frontier game, I do remember - even though I’m getting older. I played Elite with my friends, who owned the old BBC computer. We played turn-based, so all of us would get to play.

Later I got the Commodore 128 and played Elite on that computer, until I moved to complete my University degrees. Basically, my best memory is of spending late evenings for myself; balancing sports, studying, and socializing. I guess my girlfriends at the time had really tough competition in Elite. However, I needed space (pun intended) and needed the sandbox feeling, no other game provided.

Today I’m very happy to have a game that gives the same feeling as the original version, although my wife complains about me being too old to spend time on the game. I still need the time of, especially when recuperating from tough work-days or work-outs. So thank you Frontier- for producing quality games over this time. Congrats with the 25s!

Honestly, Until I just looked I never really knew what game FD produced really. I knew ED and JP:E but other then that no clue. So I looked it up and realized that you guys did ALL of the Roller coaster Tycoons and I have loved them all. Mostly my Favorite memory and it's the one the pops up when I think about all the game you guys produce is in Roller Coaster tycoon when I built a HUGE roller coaster the started on top of a hill and it was in total a 2-mile long track of ups and down and thru the hill. Now the HIll was in the middle of my park and was cheaper to build around and thru it then flatting the lad. I had so many NPC throwup on that coaster I renamed it the Puker. It took me like a week of making and remaking to get that coaster just right but I love that one ride of all others in that park.

When I found the first Ancient Ruins site by using the stars and nebulae in the trailer. :p
I should've gotten something for that.

EiTPUYy.png

There was also the time I got double refunded with store credit and to my bank account. I contacted support, paid the money back, and got a paint job pack for my honesty. Love the support person who did that for me.

Buying LostWinds on a hunch back in 2009, and finally finding a cool game to play with my 5 year old son. It made spectacular use of that 'ol Wii Remote to control the wind! Toku was cool then - now he takes pride of place as a bobblehead on the dashboard of my Krait Phantom.

Recently I did my best fight ever on elite dangerous. I did a assassinate mission elite (2.3 million for the rewards). I fight one vs one against a lethal federal corvette and my ship is an imperial clipper and my rank for fighting is expert (90 pourcent). At the end, I win this fight and my hull of my clipper left 8 pourcent and my glass of my cockpit was broken. I got more than 500 hours on elite and I can't stop to play, this game is too great. The prize than I want to win is the Elite Dangerous ship chart. Sorry for my english, I know than I am not that good in english. Here is a video of the fight than I speak previously : https://www.twitch.tv/videos/366232673

I am new to the Frontier Developments family but I have been watching gameplay of Planet Roller Coaster on youtuber NorthernLion's channel. I finally joined the family when I bought Jurassic World Evolution. Me being a huge Jurassic fanatic I couldn't have been happier to see a true successor to Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis. I would have to say my fondest memory is starting up Jurassic World Evolution for the first time and taking in the beauty of all the work you all have put into this game

Started playing Elite for the first time on the C64. I still have a copy of the original manual! Absolutely loved the game, and played it until I became Elite. Then continued to play all of the sequels, including up to today, where I play on both PC and Xbox.

I think my fondest memory was loading up the game on the C64 and feeling completely immersed in what felt like the ultimate space sim. You guys continue to innovate and build upon your amazing legacy. I cant wait to see what the next 25 years has in store for Elite and Frontier!

My encounter with a white dwarf

It was long ago, in a galaxy far far away in Frontier Elite II, i was flying my cobra Mk 3 in a remote star system that i don't remember the name ( that was so far away in time ) , after exiting hyperspace, i was next to a dawrf white star and i wanted to explore further , so i fired the thrusters and the stardreamer system to approach this intriguing lonely white dwarf, then suddenly i noticed that my ship was too close and it started to fall into the gravitational well of the star, so i u-turned away and fired the thrusters to try to escape the well , but the star was too strong and my ship and myself were stripped to stardust in a couple of seconds ...
Here lies for the etenity and beyond what was someday Commander Jameson , RIP ... ^^

Another time in the first Elite on Amstrad CPC 464 ^^ i got a lfuel leak and starnded in a star system were the primary star was upon to going nova, and docked at the local coriolis station, replenished fuel in emergency ( a countdown was clock on before the cataclysm )so, i embarked into my ship refugees from the station , undocked and entering hyperspace just before the star bring into pieces the station, arrived at another station , disembarked the refugees and got some jewels for reward ... ;)

Last edited:
My fondest memory is the very first time I ran Elite Dangerous and discovered how different it was from Elite on Commodore 64. I know I am somewhat dating myself with that comment but I remember babysitting for a friend of the family and I jumped on his computer after the kids went to bed to try Elite. I remember how much I loved the basic idea except that at that time it would have involved more time and to be honest more attention that I could give it at that age. Years later I watched Elite Dangerous become a reality and I was really pleasantly surprised to find it is not as difficult as the original Elite was.

Catching up with Distant Worlds 2
My fondest memory is very recent! By a coincidence that seems like fate now, I checked back on Elite: Dangerous after a long break and discovered that the Distant Worlds 2 expedition had just set off.

I hadn't really done any exploration before, so for the next two weeks, I read everything I could about it, watched dozens of videos and spent countless hours gathering the equipment needed to take a
ship out there. I've only just now caught up with the most recent way point, albeit in a solo instance. What I've seen an experienced during this most intense (meta-)gaming endeavour will stay with me
for as long as I live.

To be part of a human group who shares in the joy of curiosity and the true cooperative spirit of mankind in a time as divisive as ours... words just can't describe it...

Oldest memory...'PEW PEW..PEW' coming from my landlords computer sat at the top of the stairs outside my room. He got me addicted and it's still going strong. Beautiful game - Thank you

A Tale Of The Darkstar

LISTEN UP, and get ready, for the most intense and over-dramatic recreation of one of the most memorable experiences i've had while playing the stunning "Elite Dangerous"

*Fade In* LHS 3505 - A corporate government, the whole system rife was rife with crime. however I did fair a bit of bounty hunting in my early days as a young, arrogant commander. The place to be in this career, is LHS 3505 A, or we call it, the big A3. This class II gas giant had such a large ring surrounding it, and to a pirate that was perfect. A short leap a way was Olivas City, a high tech corporate fuelled gathering of the population of the '505 services group, a company somewhat exploited by the "Burnt Out" Hudson Federation. Alas, myself, I had recently "Acquired" a new prototype Anaconda from their research division. A beautiful ship it was as well, the Anaconda or the "Darkstar" was upgraded to be a long range special ops vessel, with all the necessity's of a small fighter bay and ground vehicle hanger etc with FTL and thruster capabilities operating above and beyond average. Come the next day i activate its full potential. The paint job started to glow red in coherence with the ships design, the thrusters roared in a different colour, a strong red in contrast to the normal average thrusters and its name "Darkstar" now in big letters along the hull. This was to be a flagship for the Federation's covert long range exploration and special operations, and now it was mine!
Sitting in my command chair aboard the ship, I felt liked a true commander. The open space and the echo of Covas Archer (Installed to provide systems information and analytical support throughout my journey) although this one was different and more responsive because this was a prototype, after all.
So i get in contact with my usual clients, the '505 Crimson Mafia, a shady group but they paid up and that was all i cared about. Deisy Osborne the "woman of few words" as i called her, she didn't talk much, nor did she have good memory. I once took out a politician named Chilimoog for the Mafia and yet she STILL greeted me with "Dzzapar is it? All you are is a name to me" This hurt me emotionally, but nevertheless, i tangent. As i am conversing with my "red suited fellows" as to what special assignment i can do, one crosses my terminal that catches my eye. "Disable The Megaship Turrets" My Ego started screaming, then i looked at the credits then i started too aswell. 20 Million (Not really it was like 2mill lol but for the stories sake...) to be deposited in my bank upon completion, i blindly accepted with a smug grin knowing i was now powerful enough to take on one of the big boys, and then proceeded to fire up the engines and boosted straight out the airlock like a true commander!!

Alas, travelling through the systems i arrive at G 181-6 armed and ready. I proceed to charge towards the megaship and eventually i find it lurking in the orbit of an ominous green planet, i take a deep breath, and dropped right in, guns blazing. Twas a long and laborious fight i took a few lasers and scratches to the hull but they took the real beating. now in smoke and most likely crippled from the attack the megaship definitely wouldn't have long, i estimated a good 6 days before everyone on that ship starved.

And finally i arrived back at Olivas City, collected my paycheck and kicked back and relaxed - "A job well done comander" said Osborne, damn right it was...
and this was one of the many great adventures i had in this ship with more tales from the "Darkstar" but alas, another time perhaps. [alien]

Also i have pictures of the Darkstar and all that but somehow i do not possess the intellectual skills necessary to do such menial things lmao (and yes i have tried)

By Dzzapar (Max k)

Happy 25th Frontier, keep up the amazing work.

Last edited:
My fondest memory is of un-boxing Elite for the BBC Micro on Floppy.

I had no idea what to expect. I just bought it because it was on a shelf, at WH Smiths I think, and I liked the look of the art. There were few computer games at this time, 1984, and expectations were not what they are now.

I opened the box and my 15 year old self slowly became absorbed in the (paper) manual - the anticipation of loading it up was immense but I didn't own a BBC - I used the school computers after school time to play and I would have to wait a day for that.

So I had to settle for reading 'The Dark Wheel'.

As a lover of science fiction I was blown away by this. A quality piece of fiction that brought the universe of Elite to life.

Later, when I played it, I was also not disappointed. I was hooked.

In those days, in computer games, you had a life or three and then you died. Game Over. Elite was the first game that I knew of where you could save your game and continue it later. This meant - for me that the game world was alive in my mind between sessions which was a wonderful thing. It also meant that the longer I played the more intense and wonderful the experience, it actually got less boring over time because the commander I was playing had more to loose, more to risk with each encounter, which balanced out the reduced risk due to an increasingly upgraded ship.

It did not occur, in those days that the save was a way of cheating death - I always started a new commander upon death without thinking about it and played this way all my time on the BBC and later C-64 and Amiga. So did my friends. We didn't know any other way. It was genuinely exciting. It brought the sense of a dangerous universe that Robert Holdstock gave life to in the Dark Wheel to the gameplay experience. There was real pride in surviving multiple missiles and docking under fire. I remember the first time a friend of mine reloaded a save after death, it was on his Atari-ST and I was quite disturbed. This would seem strange now these days what we would have called cheating or god-mode is normal but it was really unusual then. It seems that because of this, these days games get more boring and grindy the longer you play them, but it wasn't like that then. It was the opposite.

Very fond memories.

Last edited:
So many memories playing on C64 and trying to dock the ship in that black and white wireframe hell. The docking blib would just go insane and then you knew few seconds later you'd be dead. I was a little kid back then so I didn't know how to save the game on the cassette recorder, had to restart every time. Also played so much that apparently I had ran around our living room in my sleep yelling "The energy bombs are after me!" Parents were rather amused. EB destroyed all ships on the radar. We need that back.

The concept of Elite captured my imagination like no other game in a time when if you wanted to play video games of any kind you had to go to the local arcade. First played the original Elite on my 48k Spectrum and loved trading. It was also my first real taste of space combat. Closely following was Frontier Elite on the Atari ST. Frontier was astounding. Being able to land on a planet was beyond all my expectations but the thrill of waiting for a bounty target (sometimes interminably) would have to be my fondest memory of all.

I remember playing the original Elite on the BBC Micro at school, but I think the fondest moments were on RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 with the Soaked and Wild Additions. So many hours spent building parks, with all the community additional items as well, it's a game that lasted many years. But I have a feeling that Planet Coaster is set to become the new fondest memory, as it's just getting better and better with each new update.

I've been disabled for almost 37 years now (I lost my left arm in a motorbike accident in Feb '82), and when I first played Elite on an Amiga 1000, it was almost impossible for me to achieve much. I was hopeless at combat, and I could never make much money doing trading. In the mid 90's I finally switched to PC's. The PC's, and computer games, got better over the years, but I didn't bother getting the later versions of Elite (the memories of struggling to play Elite were still vivid in my mind).
Then I heard about Elite: Dangerous, in early September 2014, and I bit the bullet and bought it. Although I played the beta/gamma a bit, I only really got into it after the 16 December 2014 release. I have no regrets at all about buying it, as over the last 4 years, I have thousands of hours of estimated playing time, and 3 profiles at Triple Elite. This is something I couldn't have dreamed of back in the original Elite. Since my Amiga 1000 joystick only had two buttons, of which both fuctioned as button #1, and having to use a keyboard at the same time as using a joystick is impossible for me to do. Voice Attack, a joystick with multiple buttons and a throttle slider, have been huge help to get beyond my disability, and Elite: Dangerous is my favourite game by far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom