Concern: New Era "Base Building" - FCs on the ground?

What if base building is simply Fleet Carriers at surface locations? ie: So FD leverage the same mechanics, for bases on the planet surfaces?

ie: Systems have a number of reserver spots on their planets (seemingly like systems have a number of reserved parking spots for FCs around bodies), and you can buy/setup a base at one of these location, and then, like FCs, setup the services available.

What if that's what they are?

I see where you are going with it however things like having to resupply modules in the bubble kill the idea a bit.

Unless New Era brings the ability to manufacture things in FC's or bases from commodities there is simply no need for commodities in the black or wherever you would place this as a base.

I see where you are going with it however things like having to resupply modules in the bubble kill the idea a bit.

Unless New Era brings the ability to manufacture things in FC's or bases from commodities there is simply no need for commodities in the black or wherever you would place this as a base.
Well, unless Bases do allow you to "craft" stuff from commodities? eg: Modules?

Not saying it would be a good resultant gameplay, but FD seem to struggle with that notion is seems... Hence the suggestion (concern) base building is just an extrapolation of FCs down on to planet surfaces...

I had the same thought....

I suppose the question is, is the 'creativity' of designing a base layout worth the trade-off as far as being immobile goes?
Will there be a price difference?
Will the mechanics be the same?

At this point, i don't think this is a good or bad thing....we need to get our hands on the FC's first 🤷‍♀️
(But yeah - ground based FC's...it makes too much sense!)

I think if personal bases have a way to manufacture commodities from commodities and materials then Fleet Carriers could be very good. It all depends how personal bases work though.

I don't think personal bases will duplicate what you get on a fleet carrier. There maybe some overlap though.

Well, unless Bases do allow you to "craft" stuff from commodities? eg: Modules?

Not saying it would be a good resultant gameplay, but FD seem to struggle with that notion is seems... Hence the suggestion (concern) base building is just an extrapolation of FCs down on to planet surfaces...

Thats the thing, FCs are pointless now in space - being on a planet won't make them any more useful. FDev don't seem to have communicated what they think this will give any of the playerbase very well other than marketing spin on how great P2P trading is going to be. The community response - why would I trade with players for worse margins......

Thats the thing, FCs are pointless now in space - being on a planet won't make them any more useful. FDev don't seem to have communicated what they think this will give any of the playerbase very well other than marketing spin on how great P2P trading is going to be. The community response - why would I trade with players for worse margins......
Oh, I agree FCs appear to be all but pointless to 95+% of CMDRs. But FD seem to have this habit of concocting gameplay which looks/sounds engaging, and then, designing it such that it isn't. ie: FCs seem to be another Multicrew.

But I for one can easily see FD deciding allowing players to create surface bases akin to Fleet Carriers is a nice extrapolation of what they've just done with FCs, even if the result is of minimal interest to most CMDRs.

You know, I keep asking myself WHY?

Why make a Module when I can Buy one, Why build a Base there are loads out there, Why a market on a Fleet Carrier? It's sounds good but with no incentive or reason to use anything like this, it's going in the bin.

Who keeps coming up with ideas to bash the player base? What about something that provides a reward? I don't like coming back to be bashed, I will come back for a reward though. :confused:

Quoting a couple of my own posts from a Fleet Carrier upkeep thread last week. I had the same concern as OP.

Apart from ED, it seems every other game FD makes is a management game of some sort. Not overly surprising to me they're now shoehorning management mechanics into their space-ship flying game.

At least they're optional - which is good because I came here to fly spaceships not sort out finances and maintenance.

Oh I understand that, and yes, it's a ridiculous idea to have to persistently manage assets in ED. As I said, I'm glad it's optional ...and I'm glad I didn't have my heart set on getting a Fleet Carrier, because if I did I'd probably be very upset right now, like a lot of other players obviously are.

Looking further ahead, if it turns out that leak was right and base building is going to be a part of New Era ED then I wouldn't be surprised if they apply the same mechanics to that too.

I still hope Fleet Carriers will be the bases to build, and not surface bases.

a) I hate planetary landing
b) Fleet Carriers have such a nice Battlestar Galactica vibe
c) Elite is a space game, so a space ship base would be more fitting as a planetary base.

I still hope Fleet Carriers will be the bases to build, and not surface bases.

a) I hate planetary landing
b) Fleet Carriers have such a nice Battlestar Galactica vibe
c) Elite is a space game, so a space ship base would be more fitting as a planetary base.
this would be the worst case...

What if base building is simply Fleet Carriers at surface locations? ie: So FD leverage the same mechanics, for bases on the planet surfaces?

ie: Systems have a number of reserver spots on their planets (seemingly like systems have a number of reserved parking spots for FCs around bodies), and you can buy/setup a base at one of these location, and then, like FCs, setup the services available.

What if that's what they are?
So are you suggesting they will be existing base models that we will interact with through a series of orange-square menus from the landing pad?

Yes. Yes, now I can see that very much happening :/

You know, I keep asking myself WHY?

Why make a Module when I can Buy one, Why build a Base there are loads out there, Why a market on a Fleet Carrier? It's sounds good but with no incentive or reason to use anything like this, it's going in the bin.

Who keeps coming up with ideas to bash the player base? What about something that provides a reward? I don't like coming back to be bashed, I will come back for a reward though. :confused:

Why? Because if they actually made a decent decision to make FC's the route for CMDR's / Squadrons to start ggoing out into the black and staying there for an extended period of time they would make absolute and utter sense. Without the ability to craft things from base materials FC's are always tied to the bubble and are inherently crippled for out in the black playstyle. In the bubble they offer very little advantage over stations.

Why? Because if they actually made a decent decision to make FC's the route for CMDR's / Squadrons to start ggoing out into the black and staying there for an extended period of time they would make absolute and utter sense. Without the ability to craft things from base materials FC's are always tied to the bubble and are inherently crippled for out in the black playstyle. In the bubble they offer very little advantage over stations.
Seriously watch the stream - You can't stay out in the black - They are Tied to the Bubble - Sorry if you were being sarcastic

I was being sarcastic :)

The design for FC's is bad - either make them able to go out into the black or find some reason (PP/BGS) for them to be useful in the bubble - right now they are pointless for both,

If an FC could act as a mobile manufacturing place to create base construction parts in New Era I think that it might work well. I see the bases being personal bases, but also utilised to fight Thargoids - think legs. I am starting to view FC's in this release as basically a test bed to iron out performance etc, with the full implementation in New Era. Of course I will most likely be wrong.

Top Bottom