Concerns about any upcoming Base Building

Such individual designs must be very basic then, otherwise the main server would go down in a puff of smoke in no time. Or why do you think did we got paintjobs instead of some kit to individually create our own ship designs? Can't be the money alone as single elements of such a 'paint kit' could still be sold (and would arguably generate more income than the current boring paint jobs).
I expect them to be reasonably basic. Certainly not like NMS style.

As to the server. If NMS server can cope with what it does, I can't see why Fdev servers can't.

The idea of base building in ED should be incredibly exciting, find a lone planet out there somewhere, claim it as your own and defend your little patch of the ED galaxy! If the recent leaks are to be believed then this is a feature on its way to us and that should be a reason to be excited but I can't help but feel it will be underwhelming and I hate to say that.

FD's track record for grind, especially when it comes to materials and recipes indicates that Base Building is dead in the water already, I can't see FD releasing the update and the base modules being accessible, I fear we'll have to endure yet another grind-fest in order to build a simple shell, then get back to it to add a door, or life support, or lighting. I understand the need to craft and gather materials but I'm worried FD will again push this to the extreme and block out the causal or time-strapped player trying to get ahead, such as myself.

Is anyone else concerned about this? Anyone have any ideas on how FD should/could do this in a player-friendly way? I would love to hear your thoughts.
While it seems likely we'll get base building let's hold off until we get some details hey :)

I'm sure whatever FD do there will be cause for some of us to complain - no way they can please everyone.

Still, while I'm certain there will be complaints, I've got some faith they'll make a decent go of it and be at least somewhat open to refinement based on community feedback.

We'll just have to see.
I'm sticking with eager anticipation at this point, plenty of time for moaning later :)

I suspect the term base building could be referring to squadron controlled mega ships. or at least the interior theme.
With space legs hypothetical in the works maybe they saw releasing squad mega ships without legs would be a lack luster expansion. Having a cookie cutter mega ship slapped in orbit around a body. The squad could dock, rearm , repair etc but that is about it. Maybe they wanted more involvement that they didnt just want as a pop up screen while docked. Perhaps they wanted a room or area you can interact in first person where you make adjustments or commands for the mega ship. Or simply a get togeather location with your squad mates.
So perhaps FD decided to pull mega ships back, add interiors, or a community center for the ship that can be customized.
Or along the same lines as walking around the inside of your ship. would the appearance change inside depending on what optional internals you equip. The size 2 area on your ship is blank when its empty, like a gutted out square room. Then you equip a 2E cargo rack in that slot. now it is a standard cargo rack with generic crates and a few canisters. Then you decide to change it to a 2A fuel scoop, now the model is a small fuel scoop that you can admire but not really interact with. maybe mega ships would work the same way and this is what they will call "base building"

But i doubt it will be a block for block construction like other games that are built around that idea.

The idea of base building doesn't interest me in the slightest. However everything that FDev has implemented up to now has worked out well despite my scepticism. So I'm now taking the stance that whatever FDev decide to implement will be a well thought out addition to the game.

The idea of base building in ED should be incredibly exciting, find a lone planet out there somewhere, claim it as your own and defend your little patch of the ED galaxy! If the recent leaks are to be believed then this is a feature on its way to us and that should be a reason to be excited but I can't help but feel it will be underwhelming and I hate to say that.

FD's track record for grind, especially when it comes to materials and recipes indicates that Base Building is dead in the water already, I can't see FD releasing the update and the base modules being accessible, I fear we'll have to endure yet another grind-fest in order to build a simple shell, then get back to it to add a door, or life support, or lighting. I understand the need to craft and gather materials but I'm worried FD will again push this to the extreme and block out the causal or time-strapped player trying to get ahead, such as myself.

Is anyone else concerned about this? Anyone have any ideas on how FD should/could do this in a player-friendly way? I would love to hear your thoughts.
This is actually one of my complaints about No Man's Sky in 'Normal Mode'. I don't mind farming materials, but I got fed up running stupid (and sometimes very difficult) errands for my base 'crew' to unlock the next blueprint. I finally gave up and went to Creative Mode, but unfortunately that's the other extreme where there is no challenge at all. Let's just say I haven't played NMS in a very long time..

Subnautica, on the other hand, felt more balanced regarding the "grind" required to build a base. Once I found where to get the materials, I was able to build a complex base fairly quickly. It was work, mind you, but it was fun work IMO.

Like the rest, I have no idea what it'll be like... but if it's even 1% as grindy as engineering, then I think I'll give it a miss.
But, I expect it'll be super grindy AND connected to the BGS, and the salt will be flowing like a river before it even leaves beta.

When NMS announced base building, I really didn't care (but was glad for those who were into it). I just wasn't interested in building a base in a space game. BUT, it came out, and I really enjoyed it! I didn't expect to, but it was a really nice addition. The key was that it was really useful to have a base, even a basic one, so if Elite can make it useful for our regular playing then I assume I'd enjoy it.

I'd be surprised if it's super adjustable and all that, and I got no clue as to how persistent it'll be or how it'll work in general, but WHATEVER form it takes, as long as it's useful, it could be cool.

Though for re-designing the interiors of our ships, I could see me caring less about functionality and instead just going for whatever I think looks good. That's one area where I can be picky and not need a "use" to it. But yeah, I'm eager to know more and hope it's fun. I don't see a reason yet why it COULDN'T be fun, at least.

There are plenty of permanent structures in elite which have no issues. P2P should not be an issue as I suspect it will all be kept server side if it does come like the rest of the galaxy is.

Not player owned ones though.It actually is a huge issue. Say you build a base and I get there to destroy it, but I am in another instance (or even a private group). So either bases are invincible or we run into the whole sharded universe problem.

I also doubt bases will be attackable. They will likely have lethal defences like stations with a proximity warnings to stop landing bay hogging.

So then let's assume player bases are invincible. Likely FD will then just do a powerplay thing where the base gets damaged via BGS shenanigans. That would be a huge disappointment.

Not player owned ones though.It actually is a huge issue. Say you build a base and I get there to destroy it, but I am in another instance (or even a private group). So either bases are invincible or we run into the whole sharded universe problem.
As stated, I don't think player bases will be destructible.

As to another instance. Let's say you wanted to remove the station and ask it to be removed (if you can do this), it will just stay in the other persons instance until they leave that instance. When they return, it's gone.

So then let's assume player bases are invincible. Likely FD will then just do a powerplay thing where the base gets damaged via BGS shenanigans. That would be a huge disappointment.
Again, I don't think personal bases will be attached to the BGS. No commodities, no factions etc. So I doubt there will be a powerplay thing either.

When NMS announced base building, I really didn't care (but was glad for those who were into it). I just wasn't interested in building a base in a space game. BUT, it came out, and I really enjoyed it! I didn't expect to, but it was a really nice addition. The key was that it was really useful to have a base, even a basic one, so if Elite can make it useful for our regular playing then I assume I'd enjoy it.

I was the same, I didn't think I'd enjoy it but it was actually good fun, other than the missions to stock crew members but the building and design itself was cool.

Is anyone else concerned about this?

isn't it a bit early?

most likely it will be a limited and ad-hoc mechanic but with spectacular graphics, and it is to be expected that they will milk the hell out of it in terms of 'hours of game play'. you get the idea. anything else would be a substantial deviation from 5 years of design and development so far, so i wouldn't count on it. you really might be worrying about nothing, wait and see.

There are no leaks, just rampant speculation. But I have to ask, "defend your little patch of the ED galaxy" from what? Massive stations have proven to be defenseless against Thargoid incursions, and I'm completely certain no one has ever managed to damage a surface installation, including Thargoids. So defend it from what? And let's not forget, the best defense is simple secrecy. Pick a remote place, and tell no one where it is, and anyone with ill-intent is searching for a grain of sand on a beach. Space is, after all, quite big.

Plenty of ideas. I'll gladly go into it when this is anything more than unsubstanciated internet rumor and speculation.

As someone who saw the ridiculous explosion of 'homes' in Ultima Online, I actually hope there is some kind of grind (effort) to product personal bases. It was so horrid that you would be running though the world, then lag out because the game was trying to load a dozen castles, of which only one of them was occupied. The rest were barriers to keep players from teleporting in to sneak into the castle.

The game economy was so broken in the beginning that every possible space to place a tent, cottage, estate or castle was quickly taken. This lead to people selling accounts for real money to acquire the otherwise non-existent virtual real-estate.

To date, FDEV has not demonstrated the ability to balance the game economy. I'd place money now that every newb just out of their sidewinders will have a planetary mega-city within a few months of the feature's release. FDEVs only advantage is that 400 billion stars means there is plenty of places for these vanity projects to spread.

I don't really need a base, neither planetary or orbital, just a seat in a bar will do, in some commercial outpost far in frontier space. The odd explorer and bounty hunter would frequent such place, telling high tales most of which would be lies, consuming Evil Juice, always watching out for a contract killer or something worth hearing about.

I'm more concerned about the update itself and where this all is going.

I don't think bases will be like NMS survival bases. I think it will be more like we get to choose a model of planetary base and then place it on a planet. Basically colonizing space as players.

The flat out rejection of CGs being used for colonizing uninhabited space is good indicator of this. Also the permit lock on the col sector is more than likely where they are testing the game mechanics in the live game.

As someone who saw the ridiculous explosion of 'homes' in Ultima Online, I actually hope there is some kind of grind (effort) to product personal bases. It was so horrid that you would be running though the world, then lag out because the game was trying to load a dozen castles, of which only one of them was occupied. The rest were barriers to keep players from teleporting in to sneak into the castle.

The game economy was so broken in the beginning that every possible space to place a tent, cottage, estate or castle was quickly taken. This lead to people selling accounts for real money to acquire the otherwise non-existent virtual real-estate.

To date, FDEV has not demonstrated the ability to balance the game economy. I'd place money now that every newb just out of their sidewinders will have a planetary mega-city within a few months of the feature's release. FDEVs only advantage is that 400 billion stars means there is plenty of places for these vanity projects to spread.
You don't think that playing for a few months you should be able to achieve your goal?

I've been thinking of this speculation a little - in a terribly cynical way - yes, I have NMS, waiting for the VR patch to see how well (or not) it is done, as playing a spreadsheet this game is tops!

So, in cynicism, I hope Frontier does introduce destructible base building in next year's patch - along with FPS 'elite feet' too :)

Why cynical? Simply put, those who have a 'real need' for 'emergent content' can have it by the bucket-load! Players will be busy building their 'homes' which will then be attacked as 'emergent content' making them fortify/rebuild ad nauseum...

It will entertain those who really didn't want to fly about in their 'pretend spaceships' aimlessly and maybe even make the remainder of the player base a little happier as those who had been bored are now tangled into a continuing cycle around 'base building' and FPS content.

Perfect :)

On a curve of 24-7 grinding game players versus casual three hours per week, I would expect the grinding gamer to do it but it should be totally unrealistic for the casual to get there in a few (3-4) months. If for no other reason than well developed MMO's do not want all of their content 'consumed' by the majority of the player base before the next major release is possible.

As a casual player, I never reached any of the end game content in EverQuest in 'season' during the thirteen years that I played and I would never expect any different from Elite.

As there is no direct equivalence of end-game content in Elite except ships. Everyone knows the recent mining update (Void Opals) that you can practically grind your way to the top tier (even the rank restricted Cutter and Corvette) within a month. A casual player can get pretty close in a couple months - certainly before the next 'season'.

On a curve of 24-7 grinding game players versus casual three hours per week, I would expect the grinding gamer to do it but it should be totally unrealistic for the casual to get there in a few (3-4) months. If for no other reason than well developed MMO's do not want all of their content 'consumed' by the majority of the player base before the next major release is possible.

Is there much call for that for a game with no monthly subscription fee?

EDIT: Also, while money pours in now and new players can become Elite in Trade super quickly, Engineering still takes time. Data and materials are the real currency of the game as far as end-game power goes, and while there are shortcuts they still take quite a while, especially if doing multiple ships. I dunno if a base will be seen as end-game content, of course. I just hope it's fun and useful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom