Concerns about any upcoming Base Building

I'm not sure why people are so keen to believe leaks about base building or space legs etc, when features that were announced through official channels haven't made an appearance yet.

I'll believe we're getting bases and the like after ice planets get their overhaul and fleet carriers arrive.

All I see now is speculation and wishful thinking that is going to leave people disappointed. Not all leaks are real, and even if something were planned for the leaked stuff it might never happen.

So what?

You got something more interesting to chat idly about right now?

I see base building being included (speculatively) for three reasons:

1- It allows players to create content and new things to discover so FDev doesn't have to go to the effort. Imagine the thrill of finding an abandoned base and scavenging it for resources.
2- If gives squadrons something to do together. Even if all you can do is land at your base and take screenshots, a lot of players will enjoy the accomplishment and creativity of it.
3- So many space games (and open world survival games in general) have base building, there is a bit of "We do this too!"

So what?

You got something more interesting to chat idly about right now?

I just don't see the point in getting people's hopes up by believing leaks while announced content gets pushed back into oblivion. Every other day someone thinks they've found some little clue that indicates space legs or the Panther Clipper or some other long awaited thing is going to happen which just fuels the disappointed with every update or official announcement that say nothing about those things people got their hopes up about.

"Why I'm quitting the game" "Done with this game" and insert generic title of thread by whoever else decided to publicly announce their retirement and list of disappointments aren't fun or encouraging topics to see on the forum. Lots of people get burnt out just waiting for this feature or that feature that never comes. Threads about how someone thinks the holy grail of ED has been found and will be coming are just the worst. When I see them I just think of this;

dont-give-me-hope-meme-3-768x409.jpg

The idea of base building in ED should be incredibly exciting, find a lone planet out there somewhere, claim it as your own and defend your little patch of the ED galaxy! If the recent leaks are to be believed then this is a feature on its way to us and that should be a reason to be excited but I can't help but feel it will be underwhelming and I hate to say that.

FD's track record for grind, especially when it comes to materials and recipes indicates that Base Building is dead in the water already, I can't see FD releasing the update and the base modules being accessible, I fear we'll have to endure yet another grind-fest in order to build a simple shell, then get back to it to add a door, or life support, or lighting. I understand the need to craft and gather materials but I'm worried FD will again push this to the extreme and block out the causal or time-strapped player trying to get ahead, such as myself.

Is anyone else concerned about this? Anyone have any ideas on how FD should/could do this in a player-friendly way? I would love to hear your thoughts.
I patiently wait and see what they develop and introduce to us and then make up my mind. It's their game, we just live in it.

I don't worry about the future.

Nothing to be concerned about. There is zero info on the subject. Wait for some confirmation that there is even going to be base building before panicking about implemention.
You're going to save a fortune on tin foil ... 😀

I'm not sure why people are so keen to believe leaks about base building or space legs etc, when features that were announced through official channels haven't made an appearance yet.

I'll believe we're getting bases and the like after ice planets get their overhaul and fleet carriers arrive.

All I see now is speculation and wishful thinking that is going to leave people disappointed. Not all leaks are real, and even if something were planned for the leaked stuff it might never happen.

I don't see anything wrong with speculation, this is a discussion area and this is a discussion. So many people take speculation so seriously, we can all spitball ideas and hopes, it doesn't damage the game at all.

If people want to sit in silence, not engage with anyone about the future of the game and just take the updates when they launch that's fine, for some of us we enjoy playing with ideas, people will always be disappointed but healthy discussion isn't a bad thing and speculation isn't a dirty word. ;)

Bases should come in different sizes: Fleet Size, Large/Medium/Small size and a Re-usable Shelters.

- The Fleet size is dedicated to player groups so it should require efforts from all players to build it and maintain it.

- Large, Medium and Small size depends on the landing pad size. You avoid the grind of building a large base by building a small one so you can park your Anaconda in the station and use a Sidewinder as a shuttle to go home (it's the most realistic scenario, only John Travolta could park his Boeing 707 in his house).

- Shelter: it has no landing pad. It's a small house that explorers may use when they are far from the civilization. It's a pre-assembled and foldable shelter that you can store in your cargo rack. When you deploy it it unfolds automatically next to your ship. The key factor is an interstellar cartography data computer. The explorer that wants to unveil the misteries of a particular galaxy region may decide to fix a base in a nice system and return here time to time to sell the collected exploration data to his/her faction (this must be defined at the starport before your departure from the factions status menu) and have a shower. It got the size of a small house and you can customize it like the habitable module of the other bases.
To equip your ship with it you need to buy the shelter at the commodities market. Price is 1 milion cr (garden and cesspool not included).

Last edited:
Not a fan of personal bases. The entire ED galaxy belongs to everyone. There's nothing stopping anyone from landing at a planetary base and saying "this is mine" even if they game thinks otherwise. Not sure how this would work across the modes either. Seems like a different game to be honest.

I do like base building though, like in 7DTD or Empryion where you can store your ships (it would be nice to have the ships available for view without the shipyard being needed). Again, all of that sounds like a completely different game.

Top Bottom