Concerns about any upcoming Base Building

Not a fan of personal bases. The entire ED galaxy belongs to everyone. There's nothing stopping anyone from landing at a planetary base and saying "this is mine" even if they game thinks otherwise. Not sure how this would work across the modes either. Seems like a different game to be honest.

I do like base building though, like in 7DTD or Empryion where you can store your ships (it would be nice to have the ships available for view without the shipyard being needed). Again, all of that sounds like a completely different game.
Nothing bad here, it wouldn't be the first time that a game changes its image after a big update. I'm not sure this is, anyway, the most desired future at the moment, but it's nice just to talk about it.

The only thing I'm really concerned about is how they expect to handle the open/private/solo game mode aspect of the game in relation to player assets, i.e. bases, being persistent when logged off. Will bases, like ships, simply POOF out of existence when the player logs off or changes game modes? Will bases remain persistent simultaneously across all three game modes? What about attacking player bases? Will this be possible? If so, would it be possible to attack a solo mode player's base in open? Would they try to rescind their long standing policy of making certain game mechanics/assets available to all modes by trying to make base building open only or solo only, cutting off either side of a large community off from compelling gameplay?

Lots of questions, and I feel that a lot can go wrong here, for many people. If they cant "do it right" it would be best to pass on bases and devote internal resources to other elite dangerous projects, such as space legs and/or atmospheric landings. In the end we know very little at this point, except from a dubious leaked roadmap from a single source that may very well turn out to be incorrect or woefully misleading.

I don't see anything wrong with speculation, this is a discussion area and this is a discussion. So many people take speculation so seriously, we can all spitball ideas and hopes, it doesn't damage the game at all.

If people want to sit in silence, not engage with anyone about the future of the game and just take the updates when they launch that's fine, for some of us we enjoy playing with ideas, people will always be disappointed but healthy discussion isn't a bad thing and speculation isn't a dirty word. ;)

Never did I claim discussion or speculation in general are bad things. I'll thank you not to misrepresent what I said.
In the context of the leaks is where I caution against people getting their hopes up and setting themselves up for disappointment when what they think is coming down the pipe never actually does.

Somehow people keep interpreting that as "shut up, stop talking and sharing your thoughts" . Never said anything to that effect.

Top Bottom