Concerns performance issues too many assets

After playing for 2 days placing all rides (alpha2) and building a small village with custom buildings i noticed a significant performance drop.

We saw the same in rct3 where sometimes it was hard finishing a park because of it. It seems that the sheer amount of assets play a big role (silvarret mentioned it too in his mainstreet vid).

I was thinking if it does not make more sense to have the asset builder as a separate tool/entity? Meaning you build assets in a separate tool let's say a static map (including snapshot of the placed rides, paths, terra etc and once finished you save and the assets merge as one 3d drawing/object.

The game sort of already does this by merging buildings when saved but if only small parks start lagging i am seriously concerned about performance when full game releases.

Its great to have a ferrari but without petrol it won't ride ;))

Frontier is constantly optimizing as they go, however you haven't mentioned your specs, possibly your drivers etc. are not up to date. Try running it on something other than high.

While your idea about having the game engine save the entire building as 1 object would reduce lag (provided the tool would optimize the 3d model). You will run into another issue of way to many scenery pieces. If every building was a new piece of scenery it would quickly amount to MILLIONS of new models that one would have to download to view others parks fully.

The amount of scenery used right now to make a building is absurd. But that is only because we are limited with what we have available. Once proper spires and roofs are added that will reduce the poly count drastically. We will also get custom scenery that will replace much of the small detail pieces that we are currently building with multiple pieces with 1 piece.

In the end, RCT3 lagged because of the engine itself. It just could not handle the amount of polys needed to be rendered. I believe PCs engine is much more robust and will be able to render whatever we can throw at it (within reason) once UGC is added!

When I played RCT3 I never had any graphical issues, aside from maybe a minor frame rate stutter. I didn't like the Wild expansion as it didn't run too well for me, but Soaked ran perfect. The only problem I ever had in RCT3 was reaching the "maximum amount of objects" allowed in sandbox, which was a bummer.

Currently, in PC I have to run on low settings and I still have frame rate issues, which is why I plan on upgrading my comp next year. I assume with expansions or UGC the games requirements will go up even higher, but it is of no concern to me. I think they are doing a great job optimizing the game to run on lower end machines (better than many other games IMO)

Last edited:
Thx. I am running i5 with gtx980 and 16gigs of ram. I am VR ready and my pc works like a charm ;)

I see your point. Yet, seeing i am only working on one map tile so far i expressed my concern because of what assets seem to do the game. Silvarret had to stop 2 builds so far as he ran into lag etc. Cities skylines had similiar issues, great stuff, mods etc to build but when it becomes unplayable its a concern.

I am not a programmer but when one house consists of lets say 60 assets (small details etc) the question is how the game deals with it. If it must load every asset as the game grows there is a max? Dealing with assests rhrough a secundairy tool to create 'fixed' / merged solid objecfs might help.

I will upload some of my vids to compare and see diff results. Wonderful game, awed still...

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

When I played RCT3 I never had any graphical issues, aside from maybe a minor frame rate stutter. I didn't like the Wild expansion as it didn't run too well for me, but Soaked ran perfect. The only problem I ever had in RCT3 was reaching the "maximum amount of objects" allowed in sandbox, which was a bummer.

Currently, in PC I have to run on low settings and I still have frame rate issues, which is why I plan on upgrading my comp next year. I assume with expansions or UGC the games requirements will go up even higher, but it is of no concern to me. I think they are doing a great job optimizing the game to run on lower end machines (better than many other games IMO)
Same here ;) maybe there could be some graphical screen i dicator indicating how many poly's are in 'use' vs the max (%)? ... or a performance index i ndcating how much capacity is used?