Newcomer / Intro Confusion over turreted weapons

Do weapons which show a turret icon in the equipment screen auto-fire at enemies or do they need another real player as a co-pilot to work? Also will an npc hireling use the turrets because it seems you need a fighter hanger fitted before you can hire an npc.

They will work as auto fire if you are solo, and manual if you have a player crew that takes control of them.
They can be set to free ot forward fire (as fixed) and IIRC can be set to select their own target too... I would not advise that though.

Most turreted weapons do not need crew of any sort. However, some experimental turreted weapons from tech brokers do need another CMDR to be used as turrets.

NPC crew can only fly fighters; they never use the gunner role.

I think that if you look at the weapon and it only comes in fixed or turreted form, like mining lasers, then it needs a multicrew player to get it to work as a turret but it will probably work for you when set to Forward Fire mode.

Turreted weapons for multi-crew are fun but also the weakest of the fixed-gimballed-turret selections. Even the 3D turret beam laser (costing 19 million + credits) puts out only 14.3 DPS. Engineer it overcharged and oversized it only gets to 25.1 DPS with power and heat issues. Better to go with oversized and thermal vent providing 24.4 DPS if the multi-crew can stay on target. Long range lasers on a combat designed Cutter and decent captain flying skills works well.

A better solution is to have an experienced live player fly the fighter against NPCs. Better than this is team up with other live player combat dedicated ships. Buy a comms headset to talk to each other. Get gud and we're talkin' PvP later on. Lots of fun.

Multi-crew was a nice edition to play together but didn't take in all the many variables per player experience, ship design and being effective in combat even with NPCs. Add in engineering to get a ship dialed in and it gets more complicated. If the captain has earned combat Elite he is not going to get any easy opposition with missions. With C&P a multi-crew accidentally or on purpose can make the captain wanted. I know that I look at the negative too much. That's me.

Whenever a Beta test comes up before an upgrade I load up my combat Cutter or Corvette with all turreted weapons and fighters then invite a multi-crew. Then I find out who is good or bad versus who is silly or evil. Then I look them up in the live game later.

Regards

Turreted weapons for multi-crew are fun but also the weakest of the fixed-gimballed-turret selections. Even the 3D turret beam laser (costing 19 million + credits) puts out only 14.3 DPS. Engineer it overcharged and oversized it only gets to 25.1 DPS with power and heat issues. Better to go with oversized and thermal vent providing 24.4 DPS if the multi-crew can stay on target. Long range lasers on a combat designed Cutter and decent captain flying skills works well.

A better solution is to have an experienced live player fly the fighter against NPCs. Better than this is team up with other live player combat dedicated ships. Buy a comms headset to talk to each other. Get gud and we're talkin' PvP later on. Lots of fun.

Multi-crew was a nice edition to play together but didn't take in all the many variables per player experience, ship design and being effective in combat even with NPCs. Add in engineering to get a ship dialed in and it gets more complicated. If the captain has earned combat Elite he is not going to get any easy opposition with missions. With C&P a multi-crew accidentally or on purpose can make the captain wanted. I know that I look at the negative too much. That's me.

Whenever a Beta test comes up before an upgrade I load up my combat Cutter or Corvette with all turreted weapons and fighters then invite a multi-crew. Then I find out who is good or bad versus who is silly or evil. Then I look them up in the live game later.

Regards
I have to say that the idea of looking for friends during the beta, because it brings their true colour out, is ingenious. :)

Top Bottom