Congo themed dlc

the Congo in Central Africa is one of the largest tropical rainforests in the world, second only to the much more famous Amazon Rainforest of South America. there are many cool animals found in the Congo, some of which are already in the game (e.g. okapi, bongo, mandrill, pygmy hippo) however there are a few more animals from the Congo I would really like to see added to the game one day

Red River Hog - Safari Niagara
Animal pictures of the week: 12 August 2011 - Telegraph

the first animal I would like to see added is the red river hog (Potamochoerus porcus). red river hogs are found in rainforest habitats ranging from Gambia in western Africa to the Congo area of Central Africa, and despite not being very well known are actually quite common in zoos; according to zootierliste there are more than twice as many zoos keeping red river hogs as there are keeping warthogs in Europe, making them the most commonly kept suid here besides the native wild boar. they have a quite colourful appearance, especially for pigs, and at least for me they would be a much-wanted additon to the game

African Forest Buffalo
The African Forest Buffalo is slightly smaller than its close ...

the next animal I would like to suggest is the African forest buffalo (Syncerus caffer nanus). although we already have the very closely related Cape buffalo (Syncerus caffer caffer), I think that the African forest buffalo is different enough to be added too. appearance-wise, it is considerably smaller than the Cape buffalo and is reddish brown in colour, with much smaller and slightly differently shaped horns. the African forest buffalo is the only subspecies of buffalo to occur mainly in the rainforests of Central and Western Africa, although their home ranges typically are a combination of rainforest, marshes and grassy savannah. they also stay in much smaller herds than Cape buffalo, generally sticking in groups no bigger than 30 as apposed to the massive herds of over 1,000 that Cape buffalo are pretty well known for

Wolf's guenon-3 Photograph by Robert Chaponot
Wolf's Guenon - Zoo Atlanta
Three Red-tail Monkeys Preening In Tree Poster by Mark Smith

the last two animals I have selected are both guenons, Old World monkeys belonging to the genus Cercopithecus. the game very much lacks any Old World monkeys (or monkeys in general) other than baboons, mandrills and macaques, which is a huge shame because there are plenty of other really cool, interesting and unique monkeys found in Africa and Asia that few people seem to really know about, including guenons, colobuses, langurs and mangabeys. the two species I have chosen are the Wolf's mona monkey (Cercopithecus wolfi) and the Schmidt's red-tailed monkey (Cercopithecus ascanius schmidti), although there are a number of other monkeys that could be included in a pack like this instead. both the Wolf's mona monkey and Schmidt's red-tailed monkey are native to the rainforests of Central Africa and are known to associate with each other in the wild, so they could be kept in a mixed species enclosure together

I'd love the red river hog. As for the monkeys, do either of those species exist in captivity? While we aren't restricted to that criterion, I personally always try to lean that way when thinking of new animals to add. As far as African monkeys go, I usually look at the red-collared mangabey, or the diana monkey, or the much more classic black-and-white colobus.

As for the monkeys, do either of those species exist in captivity?
they aren't very common, at least in Europe, but yes they are both kept in zoos. I checked zootierliste and did a quick google of them both when choosing. according to zootierliste there are 3 zoos keeping Wolf's mona monkeys and 6 keeping Schmidt's red-tailed monkeys in Europe, and several other zoos keep other subspecies of the red-tailed monkey. they are both kept at the San Diego Zoo, but other than that I can't remember any specific zoos
red-collared mangabey
I did a google of this monkey and the closest thing I could find was the white-collared mangabey (Cercocebus torquatus), which is also called the red-capped mangabey. idk if this is the one you meant, but it seems to be found in Central Africa so it could probably work
diana monkey
I didn't even consider the Diana monkey, but looking at its wikipedia page it has a quite small range in western Africa, rather than the Congo. it could probably fit with the vibe of a Congo themed pack tho
black-and-white colobus.
this was actually one of the first monkeys I considered, and it would definitely work with the pack. I ended up going with the two I chose because I thought it would be nice to have two species that could share an exhibit and the Wolf's mona monkey and Schmidt's red-tailed monkey seem to be pretty compatible with each other, but I would be just as happy with a guereza

Nice picks, the red river hog has been mentioned quite a few times in other request DLC list. Adding that one, will please a lot of players.

I did a google of this monkey and the closest thing I could find was the white-collared mangabey (Cercocebus torquatus), which is also called the red-capped mangabey. idk if this is the one you meant, but it seems to be found in Central Africa so it could probably work

Whoops, yes, that is what I meant. My brain welded the two names together. 😅

I believe it is (or was) Dublin Zoo that had the white-collared mangabey mixed in with their gorillas - it would be neat to recreate that in Planet Zoo.

I do wonder how they will handle expanding on Africa. Will they follow the same model of DLC as the current two we have, or will they do something different since we already have a fairly decent African theme? There are certainly myriad African animals still missing from the game, some of which feel like pretty obvious zoo animals (meerkats, black or white rhinos (or both), addax, baboons, servals or caracals (or both), and of course as you say the red river hog and more African monkeys), but there has been pushback in the past from people who'd prefer Frontier moved on from Africa since it is already so well represented.

Personally I'm sort of hoping that they'll move away from themed DLC once they've nailed Australia and go on to a more mixed bag of things. A 'Monkey Pack' could give us some of the aforementioned primate species, a 'Cat Pack' some of the small cats we all want, a 'Hoofstock Pack' could give us rhinoceroses, deer, and red river hogs.

Personally I'm sort of hoping that they'll move away from themed DLC once they've nailed Australia and go on to a more mixed bag of things. A 'Monkey Pack' could give us some of the aforementioned primate species, a 'Cat Pack' some of the small cats we all want, a 'Hoofstock Pack' could give us rhinoceroses, deer, and red river hogs.

I wouldn't like such a move. Could still happen if Australia is the last continent to receive DLC :p

Specified DLC packs like a Cat pack, I would like to see some smaller cats - but a full DLC with only big/small cats: No.
I like how the DLC is a mix of different type/species of animals.
You mentioned some people prefer moving on from Africa (well represented) - I have similar thoughts about cats in PZ. (atm, a very good selection)

Still hoping an African DLC or more African animals will be planned sometime during the game's lifespan. At least the red river hog would be nice to have in-game.

I also hope we get more African animals someday also. Not necessarily Congo animals but a grey crowned crane,secretary bird, both white and black rhinos and some meerkats. From the Congo I’d actually like the African forest elephant.

I also hope we get more African animals someday also. Not necessarily Congo animals but a grey crowned crane,secretary bird, both white and black rhinos and some meerkats. From the Congo I’d actually like the African forest elephant.

Really? The African forest elephant is at the bottom of my list. Do any zoos actually hold them?

I find it surprising that it would be at the top of your list. There are so many more common zoo animals that fit the Congo-theme better, after all, and would be conceptually more unique. The red river hog is indeed one of them, but also myriad primate species. As to the rest, you and I are in the same boat - the African rhinos and meerkats are must-haves. For birds, I'd honestly prefer the southern ground hornbill, but I'd take the grey crowned crane as well.

Yeah don’t get me wrong I’d love red river hogs,civets,genets,and other Congo animals but yeah for some reason I wouldn’t mind a African forest elephant. I know it falls in line with the similar animals dlc. As far as zoos having them a couple zoos in the us had them but I believe they have passed. Right now a couple exist in some Japanese zoos and one in some other zoo. Not very common for sure but highly endangered and truthfully if we got some more similar species in the future I wouldn’t mind these guys or some Borneo Pygmy elephants.

highly endangered

Your fact checking on zoos that hold African forest elephants (Loxodonta cyclotis) is correct, but I don't know where you are getting the information "highly endangered." To me "highly endangered" correlates with the IUCN status "critically endangered". L. cyclotis is classified as vulnerable. Actually it's estimated that 1/3 of all elephants on the African continent are L. cyclotis. Compared to their larger and more famous cousins, the African bush elephant (Loxodonta africana), the forest elephant is protected by its dense habitat and elusive nature. Compared to much of the other living megafauna on Earth L. cyclotis is not in a terrible position right now. However that doesn't mean that it is open to exportation, and likely will never be held in zoo collections again. Not a species that would get my vote for inclusion in Planet Zoo.

African forest elephants are endangered and do fall victim to poaching,habitat loss, and civil unrest. Anyway I wouldn’t worry to much about it making the game as I highly doubt it will make the final roster but to each their own. Just because I wouldn’t mind seeing them eventually towards the finalizing of the game doesn’t mean anyone else has to want them. I want asiatic lions as well despite having a African lion already. As despite the new classification of lion subspecies the west African lion and asiatic lion is by no means the same.

I've seen both those hogs and monkeys in the Bronx so they'd be welcome additions. I'd personally replace the buffalo with something else, like the colobus monkey.

I like your line-up. We definately need more primates but rather than two species from the same genus, I'd like to see the Black-and-White Colobus, which is not only strikingly handsome but fairly common in zoo collections.
black-and-white-colobus-monkey-jit-lim.jpg

And I would be happy with the African forest buffalo. I think the are gorgeous with their red coats, and are smaller and more docile than their larger Cape cousin, making them easier to hold in captivity. However if people are looking for a smaller ungulate I would propose the Zebra Duiker. Rare in captivity (and in the wild too) but I think it's striking appearance makes it worthy of inclusion.
a-RdnNjVTrYKW30ZxpArIT2ViwwgzuTeRf9vWPVuTPK8h1UJbBg3LysrggBkyLzA-YwQwD0gKSccrarL6B0QcvANxjdrcb4WdPDN7Q

I would be game for this! The red river hog, one of the guenons, and Colobus monkeys definitely. Cape buffalo, maybe. There's already a few larger hoofed animals you could put into a Congo section (e.g., okapi, bongo).

I'd much rather get something unique (especially since the hog and monkeys would be based off existing animals). Maybe a Cape porcupine or a civet. Alternately, a smaller hoofed creature (duiker) would be much preferred to yet another larger one.

But still... I wouldn't whine about any additional rainforest creatures that get added to the game! Those habitats are infinitely more fun to build/design compared to the usual ol' savannah ones...

Top Bottom