Console content inactivity

When they announced this update in 2018, I honestly expected planets with atmospheres, and some form of life. Perhaps taking some of the assets from planet zoo or JWE2. I think they are from a later version of the Cobra engine though, so perhaps that's why Elite seems to be limited to PC based development; there are technical constraints?

Well, since my last posts here about PS5 stability (or lack thereof) I have installed EDH on my MacBook … I doubt it will run Odyssey and also I have little interest in the gameplay feature in Odyssey right now but EDH was relatively cheap on Steam so I thought I’d give it a go.

So … same broadband, same router, same location in my house … only difference is the MacBook is on WiFi and the PS5 has an ethernet cable connection …

- PC version : Stable as. Literally Zero disconnects in around 5 hours play time

- PS5 version : Anywhere between 1 - 4 disconnects per hour of play time.

- ANY other game on PS5 : Absolutely fine. And this includes Outriders which is also P2P and had been a bug-fest until recent patches.

Conclusion - it’s FDevs code. They should fix it. But as it’s (a) console and (b) current-gen running last-gen game in backwards compatibility, I strongly doubt they will. This bothers me far more than not getting Odyssey or any other new content: I want the existing stuff to work properly!

I did send my details and apparently some logs were going to be checked but that was 2 months ago and I’ve heard nothing.

So disappointing because I am not willing to jack it all in and start again on PC. It is just too much effort and my laptop can’t run the game in any higher quality than the PS version anyway!!

Well, since my last posts here about PS5 stability (or lack thereof) I have installed EDH on my MacBook … I doubt it will run Odyssey and also I have little interest in the gameplay feature in Odyssey right now but EDH was relatively cheap on Steam so I thought I’d give it a go.

So … same broadband, same router, same location in my house … only difference is the MacBook is on WiFi and the PS5 has an ethernet cable connection …

- PC version : Stable as. Literally Zero disconnects in around 5 hours play time

- PS5 version : Anywhere between 1 - 4 disconnects per hour of play time.

- ANY other game on PS5 : Absolutely fine. And this includes Outriders which is also P2P and had been a bug-fest until recent patches.

Conclusion - it’s FDevs code. They should fix it. But as it’s (a) console and (b) current-gen running last-gen game in backwards compatibility, I strongly doubt they will. This bothers me far more than not getting Odyssey or any other new content: I want the existing stuff to work properly!

I did send my details and apparently some logs were going to be checked but that was 2 months ago and I’ve heard nothing.

So disappointing because I am not willing to jack it all in and start again on PC. It is just too much effort and my laptop can’t run the game in any higher quality than the PS version anyway!!

Welcome to the club. This sort of perspective is painful on us PS5 Pioneers, isn't it? At least the Series X gets a resolution boost and seems to handle backwards compatibility without crashing.

Last edited:
it's probably too much of a risk for Frontier to release on a console still in its infancy
The current CG is worth it for a big farewell fireworks display at the end of the year. If the risk with consoles is too great then I recommend blowing it up completely.
Cookies?... ;)

According to some, you can't expect to play Odyssey using consoles either because they are too old (not up to it) or too new (not enough units sold).
So, when they stick to their plans and this is often repeated that is still on course, they would bring it to the old gen, but I think they have in the meantime realized that the new consoles are more powerful. In my opinion when they didn’t canceled it for consoles they will bring it for both, and hopefully for the new ones there will be a native version. Because the trailers are all available with the confirmation for ps4/Xbox one .

In my opinion when they didn’t canceled it for consoles they will bring it for both, and hopefully for the new ones there will be a native version. Because the trailers are all available with the confirmation for ps4/Xbox one .
It's difficult to see how Frontier could drag their collective feet more.

From a simultaneous release, it became a 6 months later release now it's a not even thinking about it until the Windows version is okay. The definition of 'okay' is unknown, but seems to include an unspecified amount of additional content for the Windows version, which presumably also has to be fixed before the console version of Odyssey is attempted.

So it appears if you have a console and want to try Odyssey, your only option in the near future is switching to Windows. It's difficult to see how the percentage of console players in the ED userbase is doing anything other than shrinking.

It's difficult to see how Frontier could drag their collective feet more.

From a simultaneous release, it became a 6 months later release now it's a not even thinking about it until the Windows version is okay. The definition of 'okay' is unknown, but seems to include an unspecified amount of additional content for the Windows version, which presumably also has to be fixed before the console version of Odyssey is attempted.

So it appears if you have a console and want to try Odyssey, your only option in the near future is switching to Windows. It's difficult to see how the percentage of console players in the ED userbase is doing anything other than shrinking.
Totally agreed, but let us hope that we receive anything as an info till end of the year, they are telling about this infos so meaningful. Will wait and see, but when there is nothing to share for us then it is a huge dissapointment

I've been playing since GPP on Xbox. Now, I cannot get past a couple of minutes after logging in before this utter sense of boredom comes rushing in, and need to log out. I love the idea of Elite Dangerous, not what it is right now. Elite was the reason I bought a X1 instead of a PS4 at the time, and I don't regret it, but yeah, it has grown stale. No real sense of "getting somewhere" other than to achieve Elite ranks (I'm only one away from 3x Elite). I've spent thousands of hours (a bit over 1,300 hours actually) in the game over the years, so I think I'm a bit allowed to opine on this.

I remember how I used to make jokes of NMS when it was an utter dissappointment. Now, I feel like it's leagues ahead of Elite. Hopefully FDev will learn their lesson. I'm not holding my breath.

If you don't like the tone of my message, then just ignore it. I'm not demanding anything, I'm just one of the old guard which desired ED to exist forever but now I'm just disappointed.

Top Bottom