Console to PC Transfers: News Blackout

Do they do publicity support as the publisher? They must be doing something for the product.

iirc as publishers they only do marketing and the sales channels.

Edit:
they also seem to act as an interface between players and devs - aka the community management part and the support system (issue tracker and ticketing service)
I can see Lemnis Gate and FAR and Struggling sections on the Issue tracker and the customer service portal.

iirc as publishers they only do marketing and the sales channels.

Edit:
they also seem to act as an interface between players and devs - aka the community management part and the support system (issue tracker and ticketing service)
I can see Lemnis Gate and FAR and Struggling sections on the Issue tracker and the customer service portal.
So they may need to borrow CM resource for launch time.

So they may need to borrow CM resource for launch time.

They do it for the CM team, indeed.
Paul is quite involved in Warhammer
And Arf did a lot of voice acting on Warhammer movies

So it's quite obvious the Elite CM team is not the Elite CM team, but Frontier CM team and they're assigned to more than one project and not only to keep saying us "we have nothing to announce"

They do it for the CM team, indeed.
Paul is quite involved in Warhammer
And Arf did a lot of voice acting on Warhammer movies

So it's quite obvious the Elite CM team is not the Elite CM team, but Frontier CM team and they're assigned to more than one project and not only to keep saying us "we have nothing to announce"
And therefore it's also obvious that there will be no communications push for ED until CMs are released from other duties.

Anyway... the longer they take to perfect the improved transfer procedures, the more i'm starting to think they may try to release EDO on nextgens 😂
That or they simply abandoned any hopes of making extra sales this FY which it would mean they have like 5-6 more weeks to have the transfers ready by the start of the next FY (that is by June)
Wouldn't they need to sign new contracts with Microsoft and Sony for anything to happen with next gen, as the reason they've focussed on previous gen is those are boxes covered in the contract they currently have and then that could require a native version of EDH and EDO as one is the DLC of the other which I doubt is on the cards...

The CM's certainly cover more than one game so they have plenty to keep them busy, their head must be spinning with all the chasing they're doing internally across all of the games they cover...certainly don't envy them that, it must be frustrating for them.

Wouldn't they need to sign new contracts with Microsoft and Sony for anything to happen with next gen, as the reason they've focussed on previous gen is those are boxes covered in the contract they currently have and then that could require a native version of EDH and EDO as one is the DLC of the other which I doubt is on the cards...

Probably, yes.

But since they're supposed to focus on a single code base (Odyssey) that means releasing a native version on next gens will cover both Base/Horizons and the Odyssey DLC
I guess that could happen when they actually allow Horizons only content in the Odyssey client - so we dont have to keep 2 different games on our drives (unless we do want to keep the legacy Horizons client and they would allow us to keep that client) - the so called merger of the player base that is now split in Horizons Only and EDO only

Whenever FDEV decided to pull the plug on Console development, they had to expect some console players to request full account transfers to the PC. I don't believe this idea "snuck up on them" or "they didn't think about it." Someone there expected that response, and in my opinion, probably voiced it to management. They knew before Braben (or more likely his personal assistant) sat down at a keyboard to type the console killing message, that players would make that request.

So the current CM verbiage is nothing more than a smokescreen. Don't expect any transfers. In fact, FDEV halting the current credits-only transfer was, in my opinion, done to prevent an overwhelming number of CMDRs requesting "seats on the last APEX shuttle out," while duping most players that FDEV is working on a better solution.

It's been 20+ days, with no report or change in status.

I really do hope that my prognostication shows itself to be faulty (it's already futile). I hope FDEV is truly working on a better solution. Unfortunately the track record of FDEV -- it's repeated issues with patches, inattention to players regarding balance issues with everything from Powerplay to PVP, bug reports that languish on the issue tracker until they die of old age, and bringing to market a stale half-baked DLC that killed its own community and wiped out at least 10-20 percent of its player base (console users) -- does not engender hope or trust.

So console commanders will remain stuck in a galaxy-scale sandbox that's dying day by day, and I see little chance that changes.

Probably, yes.

But since they're supposed to focus on a single code base (Odyssey) that means releasing a native version on next gens will cover both Base/Horizons and the Odyssey DLC
I guess that could happen when they actually allow Horizons only content in the Odyssey client - so we dont have to keep 2 different games on our drives (unless we do want to keep the legacy Horizons client and they would allow us to keep that client) - the so called merger of the player base that is now split in Horizons Only and EDO only
It'll be interesting to see what happens with the merging of EDH and EDO code as it does have the potential to be another poisoned chalice if they get it wrong. You can see why FDev want the merged code, it must have been a very nice period for them when all three platforms ran on the EDH code. Question I would have is how many of the PC players still on EDH are there because their hardware wont cope with EDO? If there are lots of them then the whole account transfer thing that FDev are currently looking at might work in reverse for them and they can continue with their EDH story on the console of their choice?

So the current CM verbiage is nothing more than a smokescreen. Don't expect any transfers. In fact, FDEV halting the current credits-only transfer was, in my opinion, done to prevent an overwhelming number of CMDRs requesting "seats on the last APEX shuttle out," while duping most players that FDEV is working on a better solution.

That doesn't make any sense.
Each consoler that transfers to PC should mean a copy of Odyssey being sold (along with a copy of the base game).
I really dont imagine FDev not wanting to sell Odyssey on PC.

By all means, they should be steaming to make the transfers possible
So if it didnt happen by now, it means the things are not that simple as gamers usually assume and/or they may have hit a stopper (either legal or technical in nature that takes time to overcome)

That doesn't make any sense.
Each consoler that transfers to PC should mean a copy of Odyssey being sold (along with a copy of the base game).
I really dont imagine FDev not wanting to sell Odyssey on PC.

By all means, they should be steaming to make the transfers possible
So if it didnt happen by now, it means the things are not that simple as gamers usually assume and/or they may have hit a stopper (either legal or technical in nature that takes time to overcome)
As I've said elsewhere on this matter, I do not think full transfers will ever happen. Prior to Odyssey, the same thing could have been said regarding transfers and revenue. Very specifically in my case, it meant exactly that. I bought a copy of Horizons on PC and migrated my CR's from my XBox account. I think the larger issue is not that FDev do not want to sell Odyssey on PC but rather FDev do not want console numbers to plummet. I do believe, along with @Vayporz , that this "hold" is indeed intentional to keep console numbers from evaporating and I do believe that, being as kind as I can, FDev is being willfully disingenuous about the state of full transfers. I believe that they know it is not possible but they are unwilling, for any number of reasons, to say just that at this time. I'm not angry about it, in fact; I understand on some level...I just don't believe that they are "looking into it."

As I've said elsewhere on this matter, I do not think full transfers will ever happen. Prior to Odyssey, the same thing could have been said regarding transfers and revenue. Very specifically in my case, it meant exactly that. I bought a copy of Horizons on PC and migrated my CR's from my XBox account. I think the larger issue is not that FDev do not want to sell Odyssey on PC but rather FDev do not want console numbers to plummet. I do believe, along with @Vayporz , that this "hold" is indeed intentional to keep console numbers from evaporating and I do believe that, being as kind as I can, FDev is being willfully disingenuous about the state of full transfers. I believe that they know it is not possible but they are unwilling, for any number of reasons, to say just that at this time. I'm not angry about it, in fact; I understand on some level...I just don't believe that they are "looking into it."

I just hope you are wrong :)

Not like i'll jump on the bandwagon of transfers right now since i already have 2 accounts on PC.
However i will really not want to lose my XB account so i will transfer it at some point and when that happens i'd really love to get to keep the cosmetics that i cannot get on PC at the moment (past decals either from events or from limited sales)

Last edited:
to quote a response in a parallel thread - that was asking the same thing.

It's all up to sony/ms.
Usually, microsoft is kinda cool, since they are, by far, the leading market for PC OS to. So you move from one fo their platform to another, basically :D They lose a bit of revenue but whatever.
Sony on the other hand.... They are much more protective, to put it lightly.

It's hard to believe that they didn't consider it. However, I have no better explanation to offer. It's surreal and shameful that the question hasn't already been answered with a resounding "yes, free transfers of everything".
Indeed … would have fully expected an answer - relatively quickly - along the lines of:

At present we need some time to figure out which is most practical approach but there will be an option to transfer progress from console to PC, either via an actual account transfer or - if that’s not possible - a package of “vouchers” to apply equivalent unlocks alongside the existing credit transfer process”

The fact that they haven’t even confirmed the intent - never mind the implementation … I mean, it’s FDEV 101 for handling the console community, I guess, years or “no plans” this and “no news” the other … whilst we get lambasted for daring to want an answer … eventually followed by a summary “you’re getting nothing” …

The only beacon of hope, for me, is that they’ve suspended the standard credit based “liquidation” transfer requests which suggest they think anyone using that now would later be upset because they actually do plan to order something better?

Indeed … would have fully expected an answer - relatively quickly - along the lines of:

At present we need some time to figure out which is most practical approach but there will be an option to transfer progress from console to PC, either via an actual account transfer or - if that’s not possible - a package of “vouchers” to apply equivalent unlocks alongside the existing credit transfer process”

The fact that they haven’t even confirmed the intent - never mind the implementation … I mean, it’s FDEV 101 for handling the console community, I guess, years or “no plans” this and “no news” the other … whilst we get lambasted for daring to want an answer … eventually followed by a summary “you’re getting nothing” …

The only beacon of hope, for me, is that they’ve suspended the standard credit based “liquidation” transfer requests which suggest they think anyone using that now would later be upset because they actually do plan to order something better?
They are working on it yes. And in the event they can do it, they don't want people to have transferred their credits only comes and be mad because they could have had full transfer.
Whether they can do it, or not, is still unknown.

OFC, DOOM sayers might say the credit transfer was cancelled and they don't want to admit it. But I don't think so.

you need to stop making sense right now or someone will shame you for your entirely valid observation.

They are working on it yes. And in the event they can do it, they don't want people to have transferred their credits only comes and be mad because they could have had full transfer.
Whether they can do it, or not, is still unknown.

OFC, DOOM sayers might say the credit transfer was cancelled and they don't want to admit it. But I don't think so.

I can’t see how you have managed to come to the conclusion that they are working on it.
The best I could get to was:
We are exploring options for transfers but at present have nothing to announce.

That isn’t ‘working on it’, it’s giving the problem to the work experience kid as a way of keeping them from scribbling on the desk on a Friday afternoon.

I can’t see how you have managed to come to the conclusion that they are working on it.
The best I could get to was:

That isn’t ‘working on it’, it’s giving the problem to the work experience kid as a way of keeping them from scribbling on the desk on a Friday afternoon.
They literally said it on stream last week, also they said it on the support message people who ask for transfer gets.

And yes, when you are "looking for options" it means you are... working on it ? Unless you look for options while not working usually.

Top Bottom