News Content Recap - Beyond Chapter One Livestream (16.01.2018) - Part 1 Recap

Hi commanders,

If you missed tonight's content reveal livestream or just wanted a recap of all the content discussed, read the notes below from Sandro Sammarco, Lead Designer, and Adam Bourke-Waite, Senior Designer:

Please note this is part one of three livestreams, for more details click here.

CRIME AND PUNISHMENT

Another one of the changes coming to this Chapter is the revisions to Crime and Punishment, introducing crimes attached to ships, bounty changes and detention centers. More details can be found below:

'Hot' Ships

• Crimes are attached to ships which cause them to become 'hot.'
  • Ships that are 'hot' have to connect to Starport services anonymously which limits their access to certain services.
  • Fines can be paid off at security contacts, but Bounties must be paid off using the Interstellar Factors.

Why we are making these changes:

• Attaching crimes to ships allows provides more options for criminals. They can swap and store hot ships to avoid being wanted, but at reasonable cost (...which is that they’re not using the hot ship).
  • It also neatly closes off loopholes where Commanders would switch to cheap or free ships before allowing themselves to be detected and possibly destroyed.
  • This flexibility allows us to safely increase consequences for criminals: if the criminal continues to use a hot ship they may have to travel farther to find the port services they need.

Bounties and Notoriety

• Fines no longer mature into bounties.
  • Bounties are no longer dormant.
  • Murder bounties are being revamped to include the following:
    • A fraction of the perpetrator’s rebuy cost.
    • A fraction of the victim’s rebuy cost.
  • Commanders will have a 'Notoriety' level:
    • It increases with each murder crime
    • It increases the rebuy cost fractions for both perp and victim
    • The victim’s rebuy cost is reduced by this amount
    • It decreases when a Commander is brought to justice.
  • We are introducing 'Power bounties,' which only apply to 'Power' crimes
    • Power bounties replace normal crimes for Power activities
    • Power bounties can only be seen and claimed by appropriately pledged ships
    • Power bounties do not follow the crime flow
  • A reduction in crime states helps increase legibility.
  • We felt the bounties for murder, in general, were a little too low.
  • We feel its fairer that the perpetrator should shoulder some of the victim’s debt.
  • Notoriety ensures that some of the risks of crime cannot simply be shaken off by changing one's ship.
  • Power bounties allow us to have consensual PvP without unduly punishing those involved.

Interstellar Bounties

• Superpowers will issue Interstellar bounties against Commanders that continually transgress against factions aligned with them.
  • An Interstellar bounty is issued once the credit value for all appropriate bounties and fines breaches a certain threshold.
  • Interstellar bounties are valid in every jurisdiction controlled by a faction aligned with the superpower.

• We used to have these interstellar bounties in early Elite Dangerous and believe they add another level of consequences for serial criminals and help demarcate the superpower’s areas of influence.

ATR

• When criminals repeatedly commit crimes in sucession, they will eventually draw the attention of special authority ships: the Advanced Tactical Response.
  • These are powerful enough to pose a real threat to any ships Commanders have, though they will not insta-kill you.

• The ATR exist to prevent commanders from operating above the law and act as a soft cap on criminal activities.

Detention Centres and Respawning

• When a criminal is detected and destroyed they respawn at the nearest appropriate 'Detention Centre.'
  • At a detention centre a Commander must pay for crimes committed in the jurisdiction where they were destroyed.
  • Leaving a detention centre a Commander is safe from other Commanders until engage their FSD.
  • There are Superpower detention centres for Commanders with Interstellar bounties.
  • Ships that are destroyed unrelated to crime will respawn at the nearest and safest Starport in the system if possible, reverting to the last port docked if not.

• This change allows us to guarantee that when the authorities or bounty hunters are successful, the criminal must pay for their crimes.
  • The concept of respawning at ports within a system is less punishing and more contextually sound.

Miscellaneous Changes

• Kill Warrant Scanner will reveal the single largest bounty.

For more details about Crime and Punishment revisions, check here: https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?t=742&v=4ocPr8DlBQs

WING MISSIONS

One of the new additions to Elite Dangerous in Chapter One of the Beyond updates is the introduction of wing missions. These are missions designed to be shared by up to four players. It’s one of the most requested mission features and we are excited to take out first steps into multiplayer missions.

On the stream tonight we showcased one of the wing missions players will be able to test in the beta: a wing delivery mission. This mission requires the player, and his wingmates, to deliver a large quantity of cargo units from one station to another.

• In order to accept the mission, one member of the wing needs to access the mission board and select a wing mission, which are denoted by a special icon.
  • Once accepted, the player who took the mission can share it by clicking the share button on the mission’s entry, located in the 'Transactions' panel. Doing so sends the player's wingmates an inbox message and adds the mission to their own Transactions panel.
  • The wingmates can choose to then either accept or decline the mission invite in the Transactions panel.
  • Important to note: each player can only share one mission at a time, this means that with a maximum of four players in a wing, players can be part of up to a maximum of four active wing missions at any given time.
In the case of a wing delivery mission, players will be charged with transporting large quantities of goods from point A to point B. Previously, when taking a delivery mission, all the cargo would be placed into the player’s hold for them to deliver. However, as we are now dealing with larger quantities and missions involving multiple players, this added a new development challenge; we needed to add a way for players to collect and deliver part of the mission’s total required cargo. In order to facilitate this, we introduced the 'mission depot,' which allows members of a wing to collect and deliver any amount of cargo that they require for the mission.

The mission is completed when all the cargo has been delivered and each member of the wing is then able to collect their rewards.
  • All players who are members of the wing at the point that the mission is completed are eligible for the mission rewards.
  • Every member of the wing receives the same reward choices for completing the mission.
  • Wing missions are also using the new mission reward system, which provides players with three different, and roughly equivalent, reward packages allowing each player to choose which set of rewards they wish to claim. One of these reward packages will always be a credit based reward package.

For more details about Wing Missions, check here: https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?t=2807&v=4ocPr8DlBQs

We'd also like to thank everyone for their questions during the stream, and we'll try to respond to those questions here on this thread. Check back here soon for a full list of the questions.

Most excellent documentation A*

Will Flanagan

Product Manager
Frontier
Erm, I don't want to be pushy, but do we have an ETA on questions and answers?

Hi Max,

We're working on getting the chosen question and answers published soon, but there may be a further delay as we will also collect questions from tonight's livestream. We haven't forgotten, but we'll need just a bit more time to get those posted.

There is a potential issue with Power Bounties as Powers use the Top 5 Bounties & Crime Reports to determine if a system is being undermined due to the practice of sniping (not cashing in Powerbonds until minutes before the cycle's end). Without replacement reports or mechanisms the Powers would be subject to attack with no way to respond. It would thus be hugely appreciated to know if FDev will be implementing such reports or mechanism?

I detailed the problem & a solution involving making scouting a Powerplay activity in this thread… https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...d-a-Paramilitary-Activities-Report-or-similar

Many thanks,
CMDR Justinian Octavius

Last edited:
The changes sound like a good move, I'm sure there will be exploits and ways around things, we players have a habit of finding the holes in any effort to resolve a problem, I've no doubt that certain player groups are already discussing ways to make it pay being the "Bad boys".
:D

Not too sure about that. I am sure there are plenty of people that want to play the dread pirate lord without a load of player bounty hunters on his kneck, and just wants a PvE experience.

Understood... And my mistake...

Take 2 - If the notoriety score (for player destructions) was high enough, you're locked to OPEN...

Discuss :)

Notoriety grows only if your amount of bounty grows. So no.
but there is no "bounty" on you that can grow. bounties are on the ships and its equipment :D

what i find funny:

given that its a commander attribute, affecting fines and bounties the following could happen:
you take your small marauder ship, eg. vulture, out to kill innocent player around a CG system and get the highest notoriety value.

then you switch to your "civil" big ship, like that billion credit cutter to exploit some overly well doing transport missions.
and on the way out of the station, you accidentally boost against a small ship.
because of your max notoriety, you will be granted with a full bounty right away and your trade ship is suddenly hot.

could be fun :D
farming CIF from outposts that give you a wanted status sounds painfull with this system.

Understood... And my mistake...

Take 2 - If the notoriety score (for player destructions) was high enough, you're locked to OPEN...

Discuss :)

Do you believe that FDEV even has the capability to lock people into a mode? That's probably something that they are facing with C-Logging and banning to a "special server"

Do you believe that FDEV even has the capability to lock people into a mode? That's probably something that they are facing with C-Logging and banning to a "special server"

Confused? If a condition is hit, deny SOLO and GROUP modes?

I'm sure there's a lot of considerations with such a move, but if someone is acting enough like a psycho to others in OPEN, why let them duck to SOLO/GROUP for a rest?

Someone remind me...

Is the new Notoriety value going to go up with just CMDR illegal destructions? Or NPCs illegal destructions too?

Confused? If a condition is hit, deny SOLO and GROUP modes?

I'm sure there's a lot of considerations with such a move, but if someone is acting enough like a psycho to others in OPEN, why let them duck to SOLO/GROUP for a rest?

I don't think they have the ability to dictate what mode you log onto. I'm no programmer or anything.... I just haven't ever heard of anyone being restricted from joining solo or open and honestly don't see how they could, its got to be more difficult than banning someone.

Last edited:
Not really trying, but when we are on page 14, this has been mentioned around a few times, I mean, come on, is hard not to have a bit of a tongue on cheek reply.

Repped for not actually being a :D

In my defence it was 12.30am when I posted; I do read a lot of the forum on a daily basis but I just didn't have the time to wade through 14 pages of stuff, or to watch an hour and 20 minutes of video. Can't catch up at work either because it's our busiest two weeks of the year right now :(

I don't think they have the ability to dictate what mode you log onto. I'm no programmer or anything.... I just haven't ever heard of anyone being restricted from joining solo or open and honestly don't see how they could, its got to be more difficult than banning someone.

ofc they can restrict you to a mode... after all they can shadow ban you, and you are suddenly in that hidden mode that is like a private group for cheaters and offenders, where none of your actions will affect the BGS or count towards CGs

CMDR,

many thanks for this completely helpful answer. Apparently, you don't do much BH in hires anymore, or if, not in wings or with SLF pilots?

O7,
[noob]

CMDR,

You're most welcome. Apparently, you've made some assumptions about the way I play, or if, not the same way you play and comment on our own experiences or play-style choices?

Toffs
( '-')7

Because if you don't pay them, then you can only access the station via anonymous protocals which severly limits what is available to you.

I don't think this is system specific. It is attached to the commander and I believe follows you around no matter where you are.

It would be nice to see non-payment of fines gain you a Bounty though.....& it'd be fantastic if they made Notoriety jurisdiction specific. After all "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" ;).

It would be nice to see non-payment of fines gain you a Bounty though
Not keen on that myself. You already get hampered enough without paying your fines. Turning them into bounties I think is too much, it's not like you have done anything that bad.

be fantastic if they made Notoriety jurisdiction specific. After all "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" ;).
Yes, I certainly agree with that. That would be good. Maybe have your notoriety per jurisdiction under the your super power rank, and for independents your notoriety would be an average of the three super powers.

Not sure, but I would prefer if it was for both and the Notoriety gave you a title the worse it gets.
RE the destruction of NPCs increasing your Notoriety

I would have said yes before last night. But then last night in the Livestream they seemed to suggest the new assets on mega ships should be used in heist type gameplay, including fending off the security ships there. This could mean - if their destruction counts towards your Notoriety - that very soon, this heist gameplay rockets your rebuy and general ingame hassle up?

ie: If you could take part in these assets without your rebuys riskign rocketing up, surely it would be more appealling?

Surely in gameplay elements like this you want to be able to fight off these security forces without your Notoriety going up?

Top Bottom