News Content Recap - Beyond Chapter One Livestream (18.01.2018) - Part 2 Recap

Steve Kirby

Lead Games Designer, Frontier Developments
Frontier
I've got some questions regarding the new interaction mechanics with megaships:

1- It looks promising! It can't wait to try it out (not a question, I know)

2- Is this new stuff only for megaships with no landing pads, or also for dockable ones?

3- Will these actions negatively affect the faction that controls the megaship (by reducing influence or triggerig a lockdown for instance)?

4- Will we have missions to pirate megaships? (for instance, "Steal 10 tons of gold from mining vessel Vulcano").

Hi,

Thanks for the questions i can answer.

2- Is this new stuff only for megaships with no landing pads, or also for dockable ones? - Just the non dockable megaships for chapter 1.

3- Will these actions negatively affect the faction that controls the megaship (by reducing influence or triggerig a lockdown for instance)? Crimes will affect the faction and the BGS.

4- Will we have missions to pirate megaships? (for instance, "Steal 10 tons of gold from mining vessel Vulcano"). These kinds of missions will be coming in a later beyond update.

Thanks

Steve K

Steve Kirby

Frontier
To which I'd like to add: will Outposts also get these interaction mechanics? The stream mentioned adding these interactions to installations, but outposts have interesting models with lots of places to add interactivity to as well.

Hi,

Thanks for you question.

At the moment we plan to add these types on interactions to installations and then investigate where else can benefit from this kind of gameplay.
So no for now, but we will see.

I hope that answers your question.

Thanks again

Steve K

Steve Kirby

Frontier
Hello, is the Trade Data retroactive or do we have to dock/beacon scan each systems again to collect the Trade Data?

Hi,

thanks for your question.

We do plan to make Trade data retroactive, so any systems you have docked in or scanned the nav beacon off will have unlocked trade data when the update is released.

Thanks

Steve K

Hi,

2- Is this new stuff only for megaships with no landing pads, or also for dockable ones? - Just the non dockable megaships for chapter 1.

3- Will these actions negatively affect the faction that controls the megaship (by reducing influence or triggerig a lockdown for instance)? Crimes will affect the faction and the BGS.

4- Will we have missions to pirate megaships? (for instance, "Steal 10 tons of gold from mining vessel Vulcano"). These kinds of missions will be coming in a later beyond update.

Thanks

Steve K

For question 4, I am *so* glad that future missions will incorporate this!

Hi,

Thanks

Steve K

Cheers, Steve

All good overall except this

TECH BROKER

Technology Brokers are dealers in new and rare technologies and items. These contacts appear in various stations across known human space and can generally be found in highly populated systems with a high security level. Visit tech brokers to see what items they currently have available and complete set requests to unlock these items by handing in the required commodities and materials. The addition of Technology Brokers allows pilots to acquire new items based on their personal narrative giving even more ways to play elite your way.

For more details about the new Tech Broker, check here: https://youtu.be/cGZ4GfR09uo?t=1956

Is it really how FDev define sense of pride and accomplishment ??? More grind in order to make your own narrative ?! Do you even listen the large part of the community who is terribly bored by the grindfest ? Why don't you use specific task or mission in order to unlock these stuff (including scripted event).

As example :
- reversed engineered Thargoid FSD : CMDR, one of my contact has detected a weird anomalie signal in system XXXX - Please go investigate there and bring me back all data about the source of this signal. Then you will go through different Thargoid artifact, wreck or settlement/cave to scan with scripted encounter/scenario.
- Shock CANNON : CMDR, one of my contact in XXXX facility reported me that a new trigger prototype has been stolen in XXXX facility located in XXXX system. Thiefs have been last spoted in XXXX system. Go investigate there, find them and get back the prototype. Make sure to not destroy the ship to be able to get back the prototype but breach its cargo hold instead.

So many possibilities wasted in easy boring and tedious grinding gameplay...

Also, what is the point of this ? More power creep ? Can those stuff be engineered ?

Last edited:
We do plan to make Trade data retroactive, so any systems you have docked in or scanned the nav beacon off will have unlocked trade data when the update is released.
Will that somehow be using the local "visited stars cache" (which would be exploitable because you can just load whatever systems into there), or do you have server-side history including dock/scan events (and how far back do those go)? Because the latter would be quite good news for some kind of more detailed travel history being available eventually, especially to console commanders.

Steve Kirby

Frontier
Has it been confirmed if trade data for a visited location will show current data when comparing in the market/galaxy map or will the data be locked to when you got it?

If I am looking at data from a system I haven't been to in 2 months, will that trade data be 2 months old or up to date?

Hi
Thanks for your question.

I can confirm that profits shown are accurate at the time of being displayed and can fluctuate when travelling to the chosen market.
So these means it's up to date when displayed, but if your destination is a long way away the price might change as you are in transit based on NPCs and Commanders trading at that location.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks again

Steve K

Cannot look at rocky bodies in the game anymore (I was kind of OK till yesterday :) )

Will colour indication of level (or existence) of volcanism apply to ice and rocky-ice bodies as well?

It's a pity the Chieftan can't fit an SLF hangar. Frontier did say it was somewhere between a Fed ship and a Python. The Fed Gunship can fit an SLF.

A pity.

First of all, GREAT stuff. However, I've wondered why:

[/INDENT]
[/LIST]
Why 3 radio-buttons? Why not 2 check boxes so you can turn on/off import and export separately?

But that would give 4 states, and it might be that the design called for just those three states. Yes, you could wire up some code to prevent the fourth state, so attempting to clear both check boxes automatically checks the other one, but is that as clear?

Personally I don't think they are that tight for space that it makes a big difference, but being the GUI guy at work (not FDEV), it is always nice to know that people do care about the things that we provide ;-)

Is it really how FDev define sense of pride and accomplishment ??? More grind in order to make your own narrative ?! Do you even listen the large part of the community who is terribly bored by the grindfest ? Why don't you use specific task or mission in order to unlock these stuff (including scripted event).

As example :
- reversed engineered Thargoid FSD : CMDR, one of my contact has detected a weird anomalie signal in system XXXX - Please go investigate there and bring me back all data about the source of this signal. Then you will go through different Thargoid artifact, wreck or settlement/cave to scan with scripted encounter/scenario.
- Shock CANNON : CMDR, one of my contact in XXXX facility reported me that a new trigger prototype has been stolen in XXXX facility located in XXXX system. Thiefs have been last spoted in XXXX system. Go investigate there, find them and get back the prototype. Make sure to not destroy the ship to be able to get back the prototype but breach its cargo hold instead.

Also, what is the point of this ? More power creep ? Can those stuff be engineered ?

I agree with you on this. Fdev could have done something much better like those missions you suggested here. Its really disappointing that Fdev are adding more mind numbing grind into this game, which has way too much of it as is.

Oh and I like how Fdev are calling this new grind your "personal narrative". GG Fdev GG.

As example :

I think these weapons/items are more side grades rather then upgrades so there shouldn't be any more powercreep (I certainly hope not). As to how we get these items, it is still very vague so lets wait and see. As to grind, well that's your choice.

Over harsh. Tech brokers are a brand new function and we have no idea yet how the materials broker will affect. For me linking unlocks to missions is a nice idea but it does add complications (might for example mean defining a single barrel with a material value of 30 iron, 30 phosphorous, 30 nickel - a wildcard - you pick up on mission) so installing / debugging the tech broker first makes a ton more sense than linking it to the mission board before you know it's working as an independent system.

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Over harsh. Tech brokers are a brand new function and we have no idea yet how the materials broker will affect. For me linking unlocks to missions is a nice idea but it does add complications (might for example mean defining a single barrel with a material value of 30 iron, 30 phosphorous, 30 nickel - a wildcard - you pick up on mission) so installing / debugging the tech broker first makes a ton more sense than linking it to the mission board before you know it's working as an independent system.

Unlocks are arguably already indirectly linked to missions through material / data mission rewards.

I think these weapons/items are more side grades rather then upgrades so there shouldn't be any more powercreep (I certainly hope not). As to how we get these items, it is still very vague so lets wait and see. As to grind, well that's your choice.

It is not very vague no : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGZ4GfR09uo&feature=youtu.be&t=1956

Carefull with confusion. I can only choose what i want to unlock not the way i want to unlock it wich is based on delivering specific quantity of mats/commodities : tedious and boring grind.
SHOCK CANNON (FIXED)
- 30 vanadium
- 30 Tungsten
- 36 Rhenium
- 30 Technetium

Last edited:
It is not very vague no : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGZ4GfR09uo&feature=youtu.be&t=1956

Carefull with confusion. I can only choose what i want to unlock not the way i want to unlock it wich is based on delivering specific quantity of mats/commodities : tedious and boring grind.
SHOCK CANNON (FIXED)
- 30 vanadium
- 30 Tungsten
- 36 Rhenium
- 30 Technetium

You forgot the part where they specifically said, "these numbers are for testing and are not final."

Top Bottom