News Content Recap - Beyond Chapter One Livestream (23.01.2018) - Part 3 Recap

Engineering Improvements

Engineering is gaining a significant update in Beyond Chapter One, focused on a single principle: the process should always result in a sense of progressive improvement.

In this updated system, you progress a module’s capabilities through a series of modification grades, with every upgrade you craft working towards an improvement. Any penalties are static and visible upfront.

Experimental effects are no longer randomly applied but can be purchased by spending materials, putting the choice fully in your hands.

Together with remote engineering from any Starport that has outfitting, a new material trader contact, (100) per-material storage facilities and additional target information for materials, there’s never been a better time to upgrade your favourite ship!

So, I have 30+ ships ... maybe 32 or 34ish. (at least one of everything, plus a few duplicates)
Currently I have, for example, Felicity at G5 - I can take any / all of my ships to her and drop a G5 mod on a new module. Great, I only need to worry about gathering the G5 materials.

Under the new system, each module will need to go from G1 to G5 in stages, I will need way more materials for upgrading all my ships than I currently do.
So you've taken out the fun of the RNG, the interesting secondary effects, made it more grindy.
It'll be almost impossible - or a whole year's goal - to convert my fleet to the setup. tbh, I really am not looking forwards to that. It'll be an utter grindfest, and WAY more so than it is now..

Excellent stream & it all looks brilliant. Great work.

I was wondering if as part of the GalNet update if it would be possible to have a Powerplay results story on Thursday's after the tick to explain which systems were Expanded, which Expansions failed, which systems are in Turmoil etc. In my view this would help explain what is happening in a way accessible to the larger player base and maybe even make Powerplay more appealing

Many thanks,

CMDR Justinian Octavius

I think this needs clarification. Weapon Special Effects are no longer random.......but what about secondary effects for modules in general? Last year the plan was to also make them stuff you can buy with Materials. Is that still going to be the case?

Fantastic stream and I love all the changes coming in Beyond Chapter 1. This is turning out to be a really awesome update.

Thank you Frontier!

I think this needs clarification. Weapon Special Effects are no longer random.......but what about secondary effects for modules in general? Last year the plan was to also make them stuff you can buy with Materials. Is that still going to be the case?
All modules now have special effects instead of secondaries. Which probably means that they’re going to have to re-balance weapons to allow you to do one pure stat experimental and one special experimental to make them competitive with the grandfather options. But we’ll have to see.

Why is it that as dev's of a great game you are so hell bent on bandaiding deeper issues and in the process hurting a portion of the player base. Make a way to get credits faster if you have elite of any kind so that we can do other things in the game that we actually enjoy. I have several friends and fellow pvpers that have uninstalled and i can't blame them. We don't log into the game to go spend 3 days grinding credits for rebuys( because in our world the games actually dangerous and not elite carebears). I and maybe not all of the pvpers but most want to do combat. We log in even after getting the middle finger every patch from the devs to pvp. We get on forumns and take bashings and getting trash talked because we play how we want to play and yet again you bandaid the real problem of grinding credits? Have you guys ever wondered why so many people flock to these "exploits" which i call fdev screwups? Could it be because we bought the game to play it how we want? No couldn't be we have to do what you guys want us to do. I'm not mad about the fact you suspended credit grinds(which was still a major grind to get anyhwhere substantial to tide you over until the next one). I am mad because you guys never actually fix the problem. Why is board hopping still a thing? Why is task killing still a thing? I've had people combat logging or task killing against me in combat for a long time ago and you never fix it or take any action against it. But you suspend missions because of people doing it. For the love of god listen to your player base (the massive amount of commanders flocking to these "exploits") and implement a better way to make credits that is atleast 60 mil an hour capable of. If you don't you will lose the player base that are doing these things because they are doing it for a reason to play the game the way they want. I recently took a 3 month break i decided to come back then i see engineering changes, thats going to make my 3000+ g5 rolled modules obsolete. Then the only way to make credits relatively quick so that i can go pvp, die, rebuy, repeat. Not everyone plays the game the way others do. Stop flipping us the bird and actually FIX THE PROBLEM! or my next break will be the final break. I love the game it's amazing when there's ways to make credits like quince and smeaton orbital. Making credits faster isn't making me not log into the game seeing that i use everyone of these and i still play 35+ hrs a week depending on weekend plans. Also if someone progresses faster and gets an anaconda, they are going to have to rebuy that anaconda because of lack of skill. Let them do what they want, they will learn the hard way. If anyone doesn't like this post feel free to message me in game and feel free to meet me in the haz rez in San Tu, I welcome it.

So, I have 30+ ships ... maybe 32 or 34ish. (at least one of everything, plus a few duplicates)
Currently I have, for example, Felicity at G5 - I can take any / all of my ships to her and drop a G5 mod on a new module. Great, I only need to worry about gathering the G5 materials.

Under the new system, each module will need to go from G1 to G5 in stages, I will need way more materials for upgrading all my ships than I currently do.
So you've taken out the fun of the RNG, the interesting secondary effects, made it more grindy.
It'll be almost impossible - or a whole year's goal - to convert my fleet to the setup. tbh, I really am not looking forwards to that. It'll be an utter grindfest, and WAY more so than it is now..

Oh noes......a whole *year*?!?! I have 5 ships in my fleet, & Grade 4 is currently the highest grade I have, & that is after almost 2 years. Sheesh, what's your hurry?!?!

BTW, you do know that it will now be easier to ultimately get all the mats you need for upgrades, thanks to the "storage per mat" limit increase & the material trader.

Oh noes......a whole *year*?!?! I have 5 ships in my fleet, & Grade 4 is currently the highest grade I have, & that is after almost 2 years. Sheesh, what's your hurry?!?!

BTW, you do know that it will now be easier to ultimately get all the mats you need for upgrades, thanks to the "storage per mat" limit increase & the material trader.

30 ships, 30 FSD's...

Currently, G5 long range needs 3 materials each. Assume 3 rolls per FSD per ship, that's 270 materials.

In the future, to get a good G5 roll (I'll just assume 3 rolls), and 3 rolls to get to the next tier... That's 1080 materials if I did that correctly to upgrade 30 FSD's. And that's assuming 3 rolls on the G5 gets you a sufficient range improvement.

I don't see how it's 'ultimately easier' to get all the mats. Time will tell how this will play out, but as it stands now, it will absolutely require more time to collect all the necessary materials. Unless they plan to up the mission rewards and prevalence of materials/data, I'm looking at you Datamined wake exceptions, then I worry this is going to turn more people away from engineering than bringing people into it.

For the person with one ship, great, it's likely going to be quicker, but as you amass more ships, the grid is going to get exponentially worse.

Thanks FD for the stream once again today. I am looking forward to trying out the new engineering system in beta. Overall I think the changes look good. Pretty cool to see that 2nd Keelback seat as well, hoping for a few more ship tweaks in this release. We’ll see soon!

30 ships, 30 FSD's...

Currently, G5 long range needs 3 materials each. Assume 3 rolls per FSD per ship, that's 270 materials.

In the future, to get a good G5 roll (I'll just assume 3 rolls), and 3 rolls to get to the next tier... That's 1080 materials if I did that correctly to upgrade 30 FSD's. And that's assuming 3 rolls on the G5 gets you a sufficient range improvement.

I don't see how it's 'ultimately easier' to get all the mats. Time will tell how this will play out, but as it stands now, it will absolutely require more time to collect all the necessary materials. Unless they plan to up the mission rewards and prevalence of materials/data, I'm looking at you Datamined wake exceptions, then I worry this is going to turn more people away from engineering than bringing people into it.

For the person with one ship, great, it's likely going to be quicker, but as you amass more ships, the grid is going to get exponentially worse.

Thank you. I was starting to think I'd got my maths wrong. I am really not looking forward to upgrading 30 FSDs, 30 Powerplants, 30 distros .... it's a pretty big list.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Thank you. I was starting to think I'd got my maths wrong. I am really not looking forward to upgrading 30 FSDs, 30 Powerplants, 30 distros .... it's a pretty big list.

Yeh this I think is ultimately my issue, at the moment each time I do a G5 FSD I just do a couple of rolls and live with what I get (Directly. At G5). They are not perfect or god rolls. It's going to be a lot more tortuous to do this in the future on new ships. There must be a compromise middle ground to say keep the upgrade path but less rolls per grade.

Yeh this I think is ultimately my issue, at the moment each time I do a G5 FSD I just do a couple of rolls and live with what I get (Directly. At G5). They are not perfect or god rolls. It's going to be a lot more tortuous to do this in the future on new ships. There must be a compromise middle ground to say keep the upgrade path but less rolls per grade.
There were a few ships I cared about a ton, mainly my conda and asp, but combat ships etc just were going ti take what they got - heck, even my conda got that treatment to a degree (only 5 rolls on it, pretty happy as well).

The most annoying ones will probably be sensors, life support, weapons (simply due to their sheere quantity of possibilities), limpets, fuel scoops, hrps and shield boosters to a degree, even thrusters, shield generators and power distributors for the most part. A few exceptions here and there (racers, my ultimate combat dedicated ship - though only weapons would be maxed there, since the rest is good even at 80-90%+, and weapons at 95%+). So, uhm, I guess pretty much all my upgrades lol.

Honestly though, for the most part, this is a step down, but I ironically don’t hate the new system that much tbh. Mostly because I just hated the slot machine effects that flippin much.

TL;DR: The changes are all in all an improvement, but with a few tweaks to cater to the more casual engineering crowd these changes could easily be amazing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom