News Content Recap - Beyond Chapter One Livestream (23.01.2018) - Part 3 Recap

Yep. The new system for me is much better. Also you can apply the special effect whenever you want to and not loose it as you upgrade. So many positives to the system.

I'm just sad that they seem to have dropped Favours altogether. They could still be useful within this new system. Want an Experimental Effect, but lack 1 Critical Material? Call in a favour & you can have it anyway. Want an extra boost to one of your upgrade stats, beyond what you initially rolled? Then call in a favour & re-roll just that one stat, whilst keeping the rest of the upgrade as it is!

If I made nearly thousand rolls for my FSD now to get 52% and +fuel at the same time, I will make a few thousands of attempts under new system as well.
You will not need as many tries as before.
I struggled the same with my FSD... tons of rolls without even the slightest improvement.

It looked like you only need maybe 10 rolls at G5 to nearly max it out. That's nothing compared to the stacked RNGs you have to be lucky with to get god like roll. Let alone the special effect you could buy an keep now.

You actually right. I do sound butthurt, because it is how I felt when making my post.

But putting emotions aside my statement still stands.

The new system is actually balanced. FD used worst possible method for it, but it is working method.

For casual players, who only need engineered module of any quality, new system will decrease necessary grind due to material trader and fixed penalties (you right again). For players who want better than average upgrade new system still be slightly less time consuming. And those who want absolutely maxed modules will spend much more time than before.
So new system balance favors casual/intermediate players while making “god rolls” much more time consuming.

It is actually a good thing. New players and casuals should be able to enjoy game with minimal required grind. And competitive players who make hi-end modules for PvP, solo-thargoid and other such activities are prepared to spend hundreds of hours for their gear.
If I made nearly thousand rolls for my FSD now to get 52% and +fuel at the same time, I will make a few thousands of attempts under new system as well.

It does not make me happy, I do not like grind. But I understand that balance should be made to appeal for majority of players, both by making their upgrades easier and making top-grade gear in hands of experienced players much more rare.

To get a god roll at G5 though, for some it took 100's of rolls and they needed to grind out 100's of G5 materials to get those rolls for each of their modules. While it was possible to get a god roll with a couple of G5 rolls, that was the exception and you where very lucky, most had to roll 10, 20, 30 times per module. Now you will be guaranteed a good roll from your initial G5 roll and then guaranteed something close or better then the current god rolls after 2 -5 extra rolls. Sounds even better for the min-maxers too. The only down side is that you need to go through the grades. To me that is a very small price to pay to get a god roll and potentially much easier.

Last edited:
I'm waiting to see how the whole Engineers pans out in the Beta. I think I like what they have done, and will be happy with the changes. The Process does look as if it will take longer, and in of itself that's not an issue for me. The question for me is really how all the parts (mats/broker/engineers) balance out each other.

All the other stuff looks good and I wonder what other QoL changes there are that we haven't seen.

I'm just sad that they seem to have dropped Favours altogether. They could still be useful within this new system. Want an Experimental Effect, but lack 1 Critical Material? Call in a favour & you can have it anyway. Want an extra boost to one of your upgrade stats, beyond what you initially rolled? Then call in a favour & re-roll just that one stat, whilst keeping the rest of the upgrade as it is!

The old favor system was the same in disguise. You needed mats to replenish you standing after using the favor. The approach to directly buy the experimental effect is so much more straight forward.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
For casual players, who only need engineered module of any quality, new system will decrease necessary grind due to material trader and fixed penalties (you right again). For players who want better than average upgrade new system still be slightly less time consuming. And those who want absolutely maxed modules will spend much more time than before.

See I can't understand how I seem to be in the minority in disagreeing with this, I think it hurts casual players, right now anyone who does a couple of G5 rolls on the old system and just lives with the roll is going to be worse off (I spent time getting the engineers to G5 which was a grind, and I had hoped behind me, now I need to do that for every module). I do understand the time put in at the start to unlock G5, but its not that hard in a lot of cases, you can even use exploration data etc.

If you mean casual as in someone who never bothers to engineer at all then I guess its a different type of casual and they might be better off, degrees of casual. :)

People who max everything generally spend a lot more time playing, so the new system might stop them getting god rolls but they will eventually get awesome gear.

Yeah, I am not too bothered. I never used the favours system once in the old version.

Last edited:
See I can't understand how I seem to be in the minority in disagreeing with this, I think it hurts casual players, right now anyone who does a couple of G5 rolls on the old system and just lives with the roll is going to be worse off (I spent time getting the engineers to G5 which was a grind, and I had hoped behind me, now I need to do that for every module). I do understand the time put in at the start to unlock G5, but its not that hard in a lot of cases, you can even use exploration data etc.

If you mean casual as in someone who never bothers to engineer at all then I guess its a different type of casual and they might be better off, degrees of casual. :)

People who max everything generally spend a lot more time playing, so the new system might stop them getting god rolls but they will eventually get awesome gear.

As a casual PvE player, I don't really care about how long it takes to update my modules as long as I am enjoying my game time. I never understood the concept of casual players being left behind and not being able to compete. If you are a casual player it is doubtful you are in to PvP, so the need for top level modules is not needed as much. Just upgrade as you go along and enjoy the process.

This. See here for an objective analysis of the numbers of materials required:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/401414-New-Engineering-system-a-factual-example
The new system is much worse, unless you are in the god-rolling business.

Another concern (I hope I am wrong):

As far as I can understand, making items with two or more secondary effects is completely impossible under new system. You can get only one special effect.
So there will be no more FSD with higher than maximum range and additional fuel per jump, no thermal-resistant shields with bonuses to strength and increased regen rate, no long-range railguns with decreased heat and so on.

In effect new system introduces “ancient artifacts”. Some (very few) old players will have equipment completely unobtainable for those who started under new system. Very powerful equipment.

I still cannot decide how I feel about it. It is most certainly unfair and will make some people angry (if they find out someone using modules they never can get). But such things will be rare, and impact to balance will be minimal. Additionally some players who like to feel superior to others may find this appealing enough to support such changes.

Yeah, I am not too bothered. I never used the favours system once in the old version.

....but it would be a better fit in the new version. Plus, dropping favours from Engineers leaves me fearing that they are dropping plans to bring in favours elsewhere. What is the point of being allied to a faction if you can't trade that rep for an in-game benefit?

....but it would be a better fit in the new version. Plus, dropping favours from Engineers leaves me fearing that they are dropping plans to bring in favours elsewhere. What is the point of being allied to a faction if you can't trade that rep for an in-game benefit?
You could easily solve that with over-rep tbh, so you don’t lose your allied status upon calling in a favour.

This. See here for an objective analysis of the numbers of materials required:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/401414-New-Engineering-system-a-factual-example
The new system is much worse, unless you are in the god-rolling business.
Nah. With the materials broker used to full effect, to roll a grade 5 efficient mc once requires roughly 2.5 cadmium, 2.5 proto heat radiators, and barely any data - and the cadmium can also be converted from a rarer metal, so probably even less time is involved there. All in all, not too bad. I just don’t like the idea of spending several game hours managing my materials :(

Y...

So new system balance favors casual/intermediate players while making “god rolls” much more time consuming.

Casual players will be worse off, it's the min/maxers who benefit (and I don't begrudge them that at all)

See my thread, in essence the new system is comparable to the old for the first ship and batch of modules, for the second ship the new systems will require over 3 times the materials.

Edit: JonathanBurnage already linked my thread o7

Last edited:
Nah. With the materials broker used to full effect, to roll a grade 5 efficient mc once requires roughly 2.5 cadmium, 2.5 proto heat radiators, and barely any data - and the cadmium can also be converted from a rarer metal, so probably even less time is involved there. All in all, not too bad. I just don’t like the idea of spending several game hours managing my materials :(

You still need to get the materials, a simple example is 3+ times more. The mat broker will help with the hard to find rare stuff but doesn't mitigate the quantity.

And the first G5 efficient MC is fine, but for every new MC you want to mod the new system will cost you 33.6 mats (on average) vs ~9 for an acceptable roll under the old for us casual players.

Another concern (I hope I am wrong):

As far as I can understand, making items with two or more secondary effects is completely impossible under new system. You can get only one special effect.
So there will be no more FSD with higher than maximum range and additional fuel per jump, no thermal-resistant shields with bonuses to strength and increased regen rate, no long-range railguns with decreased heat and so on.

In effect new system introduces “ancient artifacts”. Some (very few) old players will have equipment completely unobtainable for those who started under new system. Very powerful equipment.

I still cannot decide how I feel about it. It is most certainly unfair and will make some people angry (if they find out someone using modules they never can get). But such things will be rare, and impact to balance will be minimal. Additionally some players who like to feel superior to others may find this appealing enough to support such changes.

this is unknown, because we haven't seen any non-weapon experimental effects.
with the weapons, you may still have long range railguns with decreased heat - but not together with shield breaker, super penetator or plasma slugs.

You still need to get the materials, a simple example is 3+ times more. The mat broker will help with the hard to find rare stuff but doesn't mitigate the quantity.

And the first G5 efficient MC is fine, but for every new MC you want to mod the new system will cost you 33.6 mats (on average) vs ~9 for an acceptable roll under the old for us casual players.

i don't see the material broker helping me much, as they are again spread across the bubble,
and you have to find out where you can trade what material.... so again,

they implement something new that kinda forces you to use an external tool/webpage to progress in the game without hours of flying around.

remote engineering wont help me much to fight this either, because you can only pin one grade (whats the point of that???)

Just wondering : is the storage capacity 100 unit flat for all materials a bit weird, since some materials (especially the more common ones) are used in a greater variety of synthesis and recipes ? It might be an idea to have different storage cap values per grade of materials, like 200/175/150/125/100 or any other combination that'd suit you.

By the way. If we will respawn at the nearest station upon dying, does that mean that we can 'jump' to Hutton Orbital skipping half of the trip? You just have to auto destroy at some point of the trip and... done.

Hutton Orbital is an outpost, not a station ;)

COVAS Customisation

Changing your COVAS is a new addition to Elite Dangerous and the first of these will be Victor, ready at the launch of Chapter One of Beyond. Commanders will be able to change their COVAS at the Starport Services livery customisation section.

It'll be possible to also change the COVAS for your SRV too, you'll need to head over to the SRV customisation bay to change your preference.

And... if you miss Verity, you'll be able to change the COVAS back.

Frontier is working in partnership with HCS to bring you new COVAS packs in the future. These voices are intended to bring a new flavour to commanders out in the black, however, it's important to note at the current time we do not intend to introduce celebrity voice packs.

What does COVAS mean? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom