ANNOUNCEMENT Content Reveal Livestream - September Update - Recap

Ok, so basically sit on the pad for a few hours while we are away doing something else?
I know ED is great as a waiting simulator (I'm looking at you Hutton Orbital or Smeaton, or any other star 100k+ LS from entry point) but this seems to just pile MORE on that. Wait and you shall be rewarded?
I'll make a petition to change the name: Elite Waiting Dangerous!
Ah, no, I'm sure it's going to take some action to actually earn ARX. Make some trade profit, kill some ships (perhaps separately hand in bounties), hand in some exploration data, do some mining, win a CZ, etc. Mostly it sounds like no-one sane would try to do something to specifically earn ARX, just play as you normally do. And given 400 ARX is worth about £0.24 I don't think it's going to be that significant an amount versus what you'll want to buy with it. Right now £3.00 gets you a 6-pack of paintjobs. So £0.50 each, thus a minimum of 2 weeks in-game ARX earnings to buy a single paint job, if that arithmetic is any indication.

We'll only find out for sure on Wednesday once the servers stabilise.

FD: yay, we're changing the tutorial and how our internal accounting works.
Most cmdr's:
tumblr_mmwhrfPTtZ1qeqr5fo1_250.gif

Any word on if raxxla or the dark wheel station are fluff or reachable in game?

Exactly. :) Honestly, I wasn't expecting much in today's reveal because we all knew the next update was going to be meh, but I was hoping for at least one surprise, or even a few minutes with some Q&A on various issues. Today's reveal...wasn't. Oh well. Here's hoping that there are at least some worthwhile bug fixes packaged into the update next week. I don't think I could take another few months of looking at the "surface hunt" mission description reading "$####minorFaction:style:name=keyword;". Can't believe Frontier never took the time to hotfix it.

I don't think I could take another few months of looking at the "surface hunt" mission description reading "$####minorFaction:style:name=keyword;". Can't believe Frontier never took the time to hotfix it.
They are busy hotfixing the multiple abrasion blaster bug, the distance from star reward payout and mission stacking. Priorities man, priorities!

Quick feedback on the livestream, at 17:15 Adam is flying towards the 'target' but we do not see the 'compass' (upper left of the scanner) being used, it's still focused on Mawson Dock but missing?

Possible missed opportunity to familiarise the new player with how the compass is used?

[Edit: 22:20 the compass appears when there's something to use it for. Ok, ignore the above.]

Last edited:
And that took 5 months to develop, pathetic, unless they've got a yet unannounced ace up their sleeves.
You forget they also always add bug fixes to these patches. Quite a few bug fixes. And time has to be taken to merge those with the upcoming expansion next year. This isn't a board game, y'know. Things take time.

Players are complaining that showing the noob tutorial to us is like preaching to the choir. I watched it and in the chat section I saw a few players who said they would be more comfortable to recommend ED now to friends and family as the experience is much more thought out.

I know some people this may help accelerate the learning curve for and would feel more comfortable recommending the game to now.

Just my 2C worth
Caliber_az

Some more feedback from carefully watching this livestream...

36:00 Missed opportunity to mention targeting ships while in Supercruise for engineer materials (data)?

39:00 No mention of ship orientation through the mailslot ie. "the ship left port (red wine)" and keeping the green lights on your "starboard" side (I see many videos of CMDRs flying through the slot upside down).
[Edit: Why do ships not have red / green navigation lights and a flashing white "engines running" on top?]

Also, no mention of 100 m/s legal speed limit and the consequences of breaking it while near stations?

43:00 minutes I'm seeing a spelling error: Game Extras / Livery / "HangEr" should be "HangAr", no?
(The new livery and positional camera while in store options are a great leap forward, thanks muchly!)

The simulation didin't cover something that seemed to trip a few people up in the Horizons start: When leaving dock on a rotating planet surface in a dynamic system it is possible the planet is in the way of the high wake destination. Please add instructions on selecting a local target to low wake into high orbit first.

And finally, a link to a prior live stream thread where thanks are given for increasing audio levels. ;)

Last edited:
39:00 No mention of ship orientation through the mailslot ie. "the ship left port (red wine)" and keeping the green lights on your "starboard" side (I see many videos of CMDRs flying through the slot upside down).
[Edit: Why do ships not have red / green navigation lights and a flashing white "engines running" on top?]

Also, no mention of 100 m/s legal speed limit and the consequences of breaking it while near stations?
Remember, the whole tutorial runs with all training wheels active. That's docking computer and supercruise assist, the latter being even more automated now with throttle control. The traing wheels take care of all the points you mentioned. So FD forgot to add the notes there. A new player will still run into all the usual newbie problems, the first time he ever plays with training wheels off. And it will be every bit as puzzling as it now, without tutorial.

The docking computer was nerfed to a 'safe speed' of just 50 m/s?
It's a pity Adam didn't mention ARX progress through idle time (whether idle in stations or idle floating in space).
Depending on how this part is implemented it could be my only caveat about this update.
If idle time will be rewarded, this system would massively support players like me. Which somehow doesn't feel right...
Anything else looks pretty cool though. Love the new tutorial section: improved accessibility for new players (hopefully bug-free!) (y)
There was a screen briefly showing how many ARX he earned through what. That were activities, not idling, so no, afking for a certain time on a pad somewhere won't do. I'd also like to know if the ARX gain is a fixed rate or if there's a bonus to undertake different activities, as opposed to just mining or trading, or bounty hunting or whatever all the time.

Remember, the whole tutorial runs with all training wheels active. That's docking computer and supercruise assist, the latter being even more automated now with throttle control. The traing wheels take care of all the points you mentioned. So FD forgot to add the notes there. A new player will still run into all the usual newbie problems, the first time he ever plays with training wheels off. And it will be every bit as puzzling as it now, without tutorial.
Lets face it, totally new players probably won't really listen / read anyway (as mentioned by Adam).

There's still an opportunity to mention it, even if they don't have the "Ahh, DOH!" moment until later.

Yes I know, but these were not further defined. So 'exploring' could mean nothing but your accumulated time in supercruise. Or 'others' your time in true space, including (perhaps, who knows?) your time while docked. Nothing of the listed activities in the stream actually exclude these possibilities.

No. He did jump into a new system (presumably discovering it). He did scan a beacon. He did shoot some things.

Other than discovering bodies in a system by supercruising around it, it didn’t seem possible to earn ARX just by just sitting in SC, in an already discovered system, for an hour.

No. He did jump into a new system (presumably discovering it). He did scan a beacon. He did shoot some things.

Other than discovering bodies in a system by supercruising around it, it didn’t seem possible to earn ARX just by just sitting in SC, in an already discovered system, for an hour.
He got 3 ARX listed as "Other" and he killed 3 training drones, maybe it's 1 ARX per kill?

I feel like the creators of the game should be like gods in the game. compare this to real life and anybody's religious figure would be a bumbling idiot on Earth lol

I wish they would just contract obsidian ant to do their videos for them it would be so much better

I feel like the creators of the game should be like gods in the game. compare this to real life and anybody's religious figure would be a bumbling idiot on Earth lol

I wish they would just contract obsidian ant to do their videos for them it would be so much better
I forget where I posted it (earlier today) but why is FDev not incentivising their staff to "git gud"?

[As in, offering them a small financial bonus to invest nights / weekends into actually playing it.]

I forget where I posted it (earlier today) but why is FDev not incentivising their staff to "git gud"?

[As in, offering them a small financial bonus to invest nights / weekends into actually playing it.]
Where is the obfuscation in that? Totally unlike fdev lol

They all seem like the 'hide in Solo' type for real though

I for one am pleased about the changes to the new player experience. Should have been like this from the start and much needed if any new players come on board. I particularly liked the 'look at other ships' feature which actually had ships with a paint job on, instead of a blurry orange spinning object which could be a blancmange.

ARX i'm not sure about, hope that pans out in the long run and more importantly is a fair system for everyone and not simply another way to spell G R I N D. This really needs to be spot on otherwise i can see whole salt mines being excavated.

Lastly, i pray and hope there will be some bug fixes, and updates to the base code which really really, really needs it. So many half finished features in ED that need to be rounded off and completed, plus as mentioned, fix as many bugs as possible please. That is long overdue and there should be a bug patch at least on a monthly basis. Other games manage it, about time ED did.

Top Bottom