ANNOUNCEMENT Content Reveal Livestream - September Update - Recap

Looks like they have put a lot of effort into new player work - all that player testing also takes time. Just because someone does use something doesn't mean it is worthless - if fdev did a release based around PvP it would be of little interest to me, but I wouldn't say they shouldn't do it.

And it's not like we don't have a stream of new players through here getting confused (though really fixing the Steam signup process would be the best thing for them :) )
Yes, so much this FDev! I'm extremely disappointed to hear this is still a thing if it's not fixed yet?
I gifted someone ED+Horizons and they lost their 5#!^ at that so badly I haven't seen them since!
On a lighter note that's two newbie mission upgrades. New standards for veteran content quality?

I think I saw stats on 50% of steam owners of Elite don't have the achievement related to leaving the sidewinder.

So, erm, yeah, I think focusing on new players (tutorials, pilot's handbook) is mandatory before the big update next year that's gonna bring lots of people ;)

Also, that ingame store, with the showroom, is PERFECT.

Now, as others said, for the new players' experience they need to fix the Steam signup process. And maybe that issue where new players log into the launcher... then they are asked a code they received by mail... but the code in the mail doesn't work.

I am pretty sure that it was confirmed that they wont be able to fight and from all information we have, its a safe assumption, that they will work as a private hangar with some starport functionality (depending on the modules you fit). Pretty underwhelming for me. I even doubt that they will be able to fly (only jump) what will make them even more boring.

They cant fight by the looks no. But that doesn't mean there's not some other things they've not spoken about yet. Granted if you want fighting and nothing else then they will be disappointing.

They cant fight by the looks no. But that doesn't mean there's not some other things they've not spoken about yet. Granted if you want fighting and nothing else then they will be disappointing.
Not really. Think about those hcz's 28kls away from the entry point but your mission giver is only 100ls. It's a nuisance flying from the CZ all the way back to dock and rearm and such. now imagine you parked your fleet carrier right outside that cz. Good thing too, your wing mates probably don't wanna wait a half hour for you to get back from rearm and repair.

It's kinda ironic that they're touting the "new commander" experience so much in their presentations to the largely established collection of players. Like, do you really think I'm going to be excited about the ability to have someone talk me through doing things I already know how to do?

I >might< be excited about the prospect of new players potentially joining the game, except that 90% of those players will wind up in solo/pg and might as well not exist, except for the sudden, random impact on the BGS of systems near the starter systems. Tough luck, chaps.

The first several months I played, I got ganked several times. I would have quit if it were not for the PG/Solo play. If you don’t like everyone flying outside of public play, try to come up with a way to prevent PVP for players who don’t enjoy PVP. Not everyone likes it. If they can enlarge the customer base by allowing THOSE people to enjoy playing, while also allowing people who enjoy PVP, then that’s awesome.

I am not saying this is you, but most of the folks that I have seen complaining about the PG/Solo population are gankers complaining about not having enough victims to make miserable (some of whom even brag about it in videos).

I am just grateful that these people have those other ways to play. I played Eve for a long time, and had to quit because I wasn’t having fun any more because of the jerks. I would have here too if the other modes weren’t allowed (private group in particular).

The first several months I played, I got ganked several times. I would have quit if it were not for the PG/Solo play. If you don’t like everyone flying outside of public play, try to come up with a way to prevent PVP for players who don’t enjoy PVP. Not everyone likes it. If they can enlarge the customer base by allowing THOSE people to enjoy playing, while also allowing people who enjoy PVP, then that’s awesome.

I am not saying this is you, but most of the folks that I have seen complaining about the PG/Solo population are gankers complaining about not having enough victims to make miserable (some of whom even brag about it in videos).

I am just grateful that these people have those other ways to play. I played Eve for a long time, and had to quit because I wasn’t having fun any more because of the jerks. I would have here too if the other modes weren’t allowed (private group in particular).
Rockstar made this a thing it's called passive mode. How good will the video game industry be if more people would just learn how to be more like Rockstar? Frequent regular updates, frequent regular patches/bug fixes. New vehicles all the time. In the last 2 months they've added like 7 new vehicles. I feel like if we weren't still trying to get new players for a day or two at a time, the people who are actually continuing to play might actually get something.

Maybe we shouldn't keep making it easier and easier for newbie people to play. I feel like the learning curve separate the chaff from the wheat

Ok, so basically sit on the pad for a few hours while we are away doing something else?
I know ED is great as a waiting simulator (I'm looking at you Hutton Orbital or Smeaton, or any other star 100k+ LS from entry point) but this seems to just pile MORE on that. Wait and you shall be rewarded?
I'll make a petition to change the name: Elite Waiting Dangerous!
They have said specifically in one of the many other threads that you can't earn Arx by being inactive in the game you will have to actually do something.

Flying to Hutton Orbital is not leaving your ship sitting there doing nothing while you waste perfectly good gaming time, admittedly if you don't like space flight it won't be much fun for you.

Greetings Commanders,

As always, it is great to read through all of your feedback and review how you received our streams.

As we mentioned at the start of the year (here), this year's initial updates are designed around making the game easier to get to grips with in the initial stages and improving the quality of life overall in-game. Both the April and the September Updates do bring about changes to make information in the game more accessible as well as aiming to help new Commanders understand the complexities of controlling their first starship!

We haven't forgotten veteran players, who are fundamental to the Elite Dangerous galaxy, and we'll be bringing more information to you in the near future about the upcoming Fleet Carriers.

o7
The words 'the near future' worry me, given FD's interpretation of the same. What exactly does 'near' mean? (No promises, no ETA, etc)

FDev, please fix the blue screen crashes on PS4 CQC. The game mode is unplayable because of them and it’s an incredible shame that new players are put off by the bugs. It’s been months, please don’t neglect the game mode, it’s fantastic when it actually works!

Why the need for the salty cynicism? Welcome to the online store model which has become the established status quo feature in all online multiplayer games.

If you're the impatient gamer who don't care to wait to have the latest new shiny paint job/ship kit/vanity bauble etc. in the online store, then it's your prerogative to waste your money any way you see fit. Because:
  • Like SC, no one's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy anything. Period.
  • Unlike SC, none of the store items are P2W aka are cosmetic only. And they can be earned through a stable game economy in a reasonable amount of play time.
Such cynical speculation is unwarranted until FDev makes store items P2W to be honest.

The reality is players are already grinding their virtual Holo Me souls mining billions in pristine belts, metallic/rocky planets of worlds in the deep for VOs, LTDs, Painite etc etc. Just so they have enough to afford the upcoming FC DLC. And the FC btw is not a cosmetic only asset, since it has significant strategic/tactical value for PvE & PvP emergent game play.

Capping Arx on a weekly basis (which they earlier indicated they were considering doing) is a strategic business model to keep players engaged on their servers. And IMO--just like Rockstar--FDev has found a cynical way to stop players from easy money exploits. Like easy grinding to earn infinite Arx through simple deep space exploration etc.

You’ve misread my tone. More income for Frontier makes it possible to invest more resources into the game, which I see as a good thing, and still a voluntary thing for players. So when I said well played, I meant well played.

FDev, please fix the blue screen crashes on PS4 CQC. The game mode is unplayable because of them and it’s an incredible shame that new players are put off by the bugs. It’s been months, please don’t neglect the game mode, it’s fantastic when it actually works!
Yea and more importantly the blue screen crashes IN GAME CONFLICT ZONES during missions trying to protect our systems and stations. It's hard to keep up when the NPCs and bgs aren't blue screening out of every fight and can't finish one half the time because of it. (PS4)

Top Bottom