ANNOUNCEMENT Content Reveal Livestream - September Update - Recap

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
Greetings Commanders!

We are excited to announce that the September Update will be released on Wednesday 18 September!

If you were unable to tune into the Content Reveal - September Update livestream, don't worry, we have you covered. You can watch it below:

As we detailed in our Lavecon 2019 reveal post, here's a little look at what's coming in the September Update:

New Starter Experience

We've introduced a new starting experience meaning that it's easier to pick up Elite Dangerous than ever before!

Under the tutelage of Pilots Federation instructor, Theo Acosta, new Commanders will be led through a fully-voiced experience before being left to pilot their own starter ship, the Sidewinder! Throughout the experience, Commanders will learn the basics of space flight, scanning and combat as listed below:
  • Basic flight controls and scanning.
  • Supercruise and navigation.
  • A combat exercise around a megaship.
  • Completing one's first Hyperspace jump.
  • Docking at a starport.
  • All of the training will include voiceover across our supported languages.
This new starter experience will also be added to the existing list of training simulations, found on the internal panel of the Commander's cockpit, meaning even the most veteran of pilot can still experience it.

New Livery System
  • Revamped the livery UI for applying cosmetic items and Game Extras to your ships.
  • Commanders will be able to access their ship livery from the main menu, so even if their ship is not docked at a starport, they will be able to change up the ship's appearance on the fly!
  • The new store will allow for even more detailed previews of available customisation options across all ships, as well as giving Commanders the choice of purchasing individual items, as opposed to being limited to bundles of customisation options
New Virtual Currency: ARX
  • ARX can be purchased, as well as earned by simply playing the game, to acquire Game Extras such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more!
  • Commanders can earn a total of 400 ARX per week, which get added to their account there and then. These can be saved for later or spent right away!
  • You will no longer be able to purchase Game Extras using current payment methods and instead will require ARX, available in a number of packs (listed here.)
  • We've posted up an important notice about ARX and Frontier Points which you can find more information about here.

Please be aware that there will be some downtime for both the store, and the servers, for the new update (which we'll have more details about next week).

As is customary, we'll be hosting a launch livestream on the 18 September (from 11:00 UTC to 14:00 UTC) to keep you up to date with the progress. You can watch it on our YouTube, Twitch and Mixer channels, respectively.

See you in the black, Commanders.

Last edited by a moderator:
"We've posted up an important notice about ARX and Frontier Points which you can find more information about here."

There 'here' isn't a hyperlink.

About earning ARX for the activities in-game, can I have some questions?
A)On the screen there was an info that you got 9 ARX for exploration. Can I ask if one needs just scan some things for Codex or scan Earthlikes and Ammonia worlds, or he needs to sell an amount of exploration data to get some ARX?
B)When shall we see a list of activities that give us ARX, and how many ARX per killed Thargoid/scanned system/Void Opals mined one can get?

Thank you very much!

P.S. I can also ask you if Raxxla is in-game and can be reached now by a random CMDR, but I know you won't answer.

About earning ARX for the activities in-game, can I have some questions?
A)On the screen there was an info that you got 9 ARX for exploration. Can I ask if one needs just scan some things for Codex or scan Earthlikes and Ammonia worlds, or he needs to sell an amount of exploration data to get some ARX?
B)When shall we see a list of activities that give us ARX, and how many ARX per killed Thargoid/scanned system/Void Opals mined one can get?

Thank you very much!

P.S. I can also ask you if Raxxla is in-game and can be reached now by a random CMDR, but I know you won't answer.
The stream covered this briefly. They're not forcing anyone to do any particularly thing to earn ARX, and are being cagey about the rates at which you'll earn it. But there's also a 400/week cap on earned-in-game ARX, so it likely won't matter too much.

Remember guys - about half of the people who buy ED haven't even gotten the achievement for buying a new ship. So many people quit so early on. A tutorial for new players is way overdue and is critical for the long term health of the game.

Complaining about the game dying and complaining that a new tutorial doesn't add anything are mutually exclusive.

It's kinda ironic that they're touting the "new commander" experience so much in their presentations to the largely established collection of players. Like, do you really think I'm going to be excited about the ability to have someone talk me through doing things I already know how to do?

I >might< be excited about the prospect of new players potentially joining the game, except that 90% of those players will wind up in solo/pg and might as well not exist, except for the sudden, random impact on the BGS of systems near the starter systems. Tough luck, chaps.

Deleted member 38366

D
Well, this is one of those things that are very difficult to advertise to the existing Galaxy Population, gotta keep that in mind.

It's important for the Game (initial accessibility for brand new customers), very important.
I remember being literally overwhelmed by the Controls Configuration alone when I first Installed, it delayed me really taking off for almost a full month back in the pre-Release testing Days.

So while it may add very little for seasoned Commanders, I fully understand the significance of allocating resources to the "New CMDR experience".

PS.
Bugfixes and the fineprint of the Patchnotes at release day usually hold a few gems - so there's almost always some good stuff in there for everybody.

Last edited by a moderator:
Understand that the complaint here isn't that the "new commander experience" isn't a good addition to the game. Its just an odd thing to hype an mid-year update with.

And as for Arx ... I mean, I like the idea of being able to get customizations without real money anymore, but from a business perspective, I'm a bit confused. Player purchased mods is literally the only significant revenue stream they HAVE outside of discount sales of "additional copies" to bot programmers and script writers. This actually makes me a wonder about plans for the 2020 update. If they're removing or reducing revenue from cosmetics, what are they going to do to replace them? Subscription based functionality?

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Understand that the complaint here isn't that the "new commander experience" isn't a good addition to the game. Its just an odd thing to hype an mid-year update with.

And as for Arx ... I mean, I like the idea of being able to get customizations without real money anymore, but from a business perspective, I'm a bit confused. Player purchased mods is literally the only significant revenue stream they HAVE outside of discount sales of "additional copies" to bot programmers and script writers. This actually makes me a wonder about plans for the 2020 update. If they're removing or reducing revenue from cosmetics, what are they going to do to replace them? Subscription based functionality?

Can’t say “hype” is really the word. I believe the stream today just showed exactly what they had already said the September update would have, no more no less: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/lavecon-2019-content-reveal.516705/

So I can earn a single paintjob in a little over 2 weeks play, that's nice indeed. I guess my alt can have goodies without my wallet being invaded too much, even nicer!
More goodies for beginners, no problem with that, but do love the comment above that 90% would end up in solo/PG - I would have thought slightly less...

Nothing to bleat about here, adding FC's come December will round off the year quite nicely, I think :)

The stream covered this briefly. They're not forcing anyone to do any particularly thing to earn ARX, and are being cagey about the rates at which you'll earn it. But there's also a 400/week cap on earned-in-game ARX, so it likely won't matter too much.
Ok, so basically sit on the pad for a few hours while we are away doing something else?
I know ED is great as a waiting simulator (I'm looking at you Hutton Orbital or Smeaton, or any other star 100k+ LS from entry point) but this seems to just pile MORE on that. Wait and you shall be rewarded?
I'll make a petition to change the name: Elite Waiting Dangerous!

Top Bottom