Continental DLC's

Like many others, I have to assume we will be getting DLC's based on each individual continent. As it stands, there are currently four continents underrepresented in the game, and I think I have managed to compile a list of potential inclusions for each one that is at least reasonable, if not realistic.

Australia

The obvious first choice. Aside from the death adder, burrowing cockroach, and eastern brown snake, there are no Australian animals in the game whatsoever. While I'm pessimistic about how much effort Frontier might be willing to put in to each animal they create (they can stand a bit of community disappointment for a quicker dollar, like most companies), I think Australia is one region they really cannot afford to neglect. If I had to pick only four animals, here they are:

• Red Kangaroo.
  • Emu.
  • Tasmanian Devil.
  • Koala.

My reasoning for each one is fairly simple; they wouldn't get away with excluding the kangaroo, and the red kangaroo is the most iconic (though personally I'd prefer the eastern grey, as it is more docile and more common in zoos). The emu can share a base rig with the ostrich, making it the easiest animal in the pack to create while still being uniquely Australian. Its inclusion would also make PZ the first zoo game to include the emu, which to me is notable. The Tasmanian devil is currently extremely endangered - recently every major New Zealand zoo has taken on devils to try and save them, for example, as they are severely threatened by disease. The koala is another obvious choice, and with the recent bushfires koala conservation really should become a priority.

As for other content, there are countless exhibit animals they might include, but in lieu of that, I'd like to see some Aboriginal art set pieces such as painted rocks and other props, as well as red desert rocks to really give habitats that uniquely Australian colour. A baked mud path would also be nice, and translate well over to African-themed areas, too.

South America

Probably the next most popular neglected region, with only the Baird's tapir, Galapagos tortoise, and exhibit animals to represent it. South America is really hard to break down into only four habitat animals, but I think my list is reasonable;

• Jaguar.
  • Spectacled Bear.
  • Capybara.
  • Red Howler Monkey.

The jaguar is yet another obvious one, with art pieces in the game already existing for it. I chose the spectacled bear because it has become a rather popular zoo animal in recent years and represents a biome not often associated with South America, as well as being another animal that could use the existing bear rig. The capybara, too, has become incredibly popular, especially as a top choice for mixed-species exhibits (you could give it an enrichment bonus for sharing with the tapir and howler monkey), and has become rather iconic for South America. I chose the howler monkey because it was found via datamining during the beta, which implies that it potentially exists somewhere in the game's files and just needs to be completed. Plus it would add a New World monkey.

In terms of building sets, some kind of colourful Brazilian-themed set might be nice, or an Inca-themed set to represent the Andes. I'd also like to see jungle ruins added as set pieces, possibly even as climbable objects, which would translate nicely to any tropical environment.

North America

Although we got the Arctic Pack, North America still feels like it's lacking. North America contains a variety of biomes and I think it has been underutilised.

• American Alligator.
  • Collared Peccary.
  • Moose.
  • Wolverine.

The alligator art piece is, to me, a crocodile that has been misnamed, not an actual alligator, but I still think we should get the American alligator. It's very common in zoos, reaching as far as New Zealand, so it would be a welcome addition. The collared peccary (javelina) would do nicely to represent the southwestern desert regions. The moose has been in both Zoo Tycoon titles so it makes sense to translate it over to PZ even if its only for the nostalgia factor, and it's an animal more frequently associated with North America than Europe where it also resides. Aside from the Arctic fox, the wolverine felt like the only real missing piece of the Arctic DLC (I mean, there's the muskox too, now that I think about it, but still).

For the additional content, some kind of Native American-themed set would be nice, or a swampy bayou set, with mossy wood and vine-tangled pieces.

Europe

Personally I'm of the belief that European animals have largely been exlcuded due to the fact that many European animals are closely related to animals already in the game. We already have the wolf (and yes, it counts, it is not the true timber wolf but the grey wolf species as a whole, including the Eurasian wolf), but there are of course certain animals I think the game could really use that hail from Europe.

• Fallow Deer.
  • Iberian Lynx.
  • Alpine Ibex.
  • Red Fox.

My reasoning is as follows; the deer would make a really nice walkthrough species, as fallow deer are domesticated all over the world, and many zoos do include them in petting zoo areas and such. The Iberian lynx is critically endangered and would fit the game's theming really well. The ibex is an icon among mountain goats, and the Alpine species is the most recognisable. People have been asking for a fox since before the game even launched, and the red fox seems like a good choice because despite it's commonness in Europe and other places it really is the iconic fox.

For a building set, the classic German timber-frame set would be really nice in-game, or a Spanish set in the colonial style that could work in a Latin American setting as well.

So those are my ideas for continent-themed DLC's. Africa and Asia are both pretty well represented, though we are lacking some obvious inclusions. As a sort of quickfire round, for Africa I'd include;
  • Eastern Black Rhinoceros.
  • Red River Hog.
  • Hamadryas Baboon.
  • Meerkat.

and for Asia;
  • Blackbuck.
  • Proboscis Monkey.
  • Saiga.
  • Clouded Leopard.

I also have ideas for more regional packs (Ceraddo, Madagascar, Gir Forest, Indonesia) as well as an 'endangered species' series (Endangered Primates, Endangered Hoofstock, Endangered Carnivores). I've neglected to put too much thought into birds or marine animals only because we have little but vague hints as to how these things might be handled in-game.

I like all of this!

Personally though, I feel Europe is absolutely lacking far more than North America. We don't have a single animal species unique to Europe.

Love the ideas, but I would really like more than 4 species for larger packs (that could be a bit more expensive than 10 euros) :) There are so many species out there!

Ideally, sure. I'm basing it off the assumption though that the Arctic Pack will be representative of all future DLC's. Personally I think it will be - if we look at Planet Coaster and Jurassic World Evolution, the DLC's need to be small/compact enough that Frontier can keep releasing new content continuously in order to maintain interest in the game and therefore sales. I do think there will be some packs with more animals (mostly those that don't have building sets, or new campaigns) and probably even some that have less or no animals (those that might introduce whole gameplay features or DLC's purely for items).

I like all of this!

Personally though, I feel Europe is absolutely lacking far more than North America. We don't have a single animal species unique to Europe.

As I said in my post, I think Europe is in a bit of an awkward position where many European animals aren't really 'zoo' animals. The ones I picked were really the only 'exotic' ones I could think of that zoos might display (there are doubtless a few more - the European bison, for example, and a number of exhibit animals). I tossed up between the red fox and the barbary macaque/ape, mostly because while the ape feels more likely (given they can build it off of the Japanese macaque rig), the fox has been in demand for far longer.

It doesn't really help that Europe's most interesting animals (imo) are gone.
Sadly have to agree with that one. Even if you with national animals, not a single one looks like a 'must-have' animal.

Personally:
For Australia I would replace the Emu with the Cassowary
For South America i would replace the spectacled bear with the Giant Anteater
For North America I would replace the wolverine with the NA Beaver
Europe looks good

The crested porcupine would be nice - as they also live in Italy (so a little bit more European animals)

Sadly have to agree with that one. Even if you with national animals, not a single one looks like a 'must-have' animal.

Personally:
For Australia I would replace the Emu with the Cassowary

The emu is more iconic to Australia and more common in foreign zoos. The cassowary could come later with some kind of terrestrial bird DLC.

For South America i would replace the spectacled bear with the Giant Anteater

Again, I'm trying to be realistic - a bear is more likely to be added than the giant anteater, because the rig is already present with every other bear we already have.

For North America I would replace the wolverine with the NA Beaver

The beaver isn't common in zoos outside of North America.

Love the list. The only one I’d be tempted to replace is the follow deer with the red deer as we have some great red deer decor. But I’m almost positive as they go and if they have a system that somewhat follows planet coaster much like they eventually released the rides packs they’ll do something similar with animal packs of I’m guessing six or so animals. Just speculation and it would more then likely be towards the end of planet zoos run.

The wolverine & moose are uncommon in zoos in various regions as well. (I think moose are more nature park material)
Also I'd rather have an iconic animal (Canada) for this game, than a wolverine.

I agree the NA beaver is uncommon in other countries but even with the demand for australian animals: some are very rare/uncommon in other zoos in the world.. But that's not the criteria we are going for, right?
Except emus/E. grey kangaroo are really common in zoos.
I'd prefer the cassowary mainly for a more striking difference with the ostrich.. but you make a fair point....

The spectacled bear would be just another bear.. A lot of people were complaining about the Arctic wolf - could imagine this would be a lot worse if they add another similar bear.

Going with rig logic, loads of animals wouldn't make it.
For a lot of animals they would need to make a new rig and it's not like we are getting a new DLC every month so there would be enough time.

I do get the rig logic but I agree with Kaan’s post from earlier. We can’t just settle for the rig logic on some animals. Not to debate whales and dolphins again but we have to let frontier know what we want. My biggest personal deal is otters and penguins and the underwater swimming and diving. In this day and age it shouldn’t be a problem. On the plus side to the more different types of rigs ultimately gives more animal options. Don’t get me wrong I’m not trying to slam frontier as I feel they’ve done a great job. But if all options were exhausted and for whatever reason they just simply couldn’t make some animals work I’d still think the game was great.

On the plus side to the more different types of rigs ultimately gives more animal options. Don’t get me wrong I’m not trying to slam frontier as I feel they’ve done a great job. But if all options were exhausted and for whatever reason they just simply couldn’t make some animals work I’d still think the game was great.
Good point.. Tbh, I would be a bit disappointed but every dlc/extra feature beyond the base game is just an extra. I bought the game, knowing these features/certain animals wouldn't be in it. (even with the limited info about the animals before release - you can guess certain animals wouldn't be included)

I agree with more different rigs = more animal options. It's not like most people have crazy wishes/demands.

Exactly you are a paying customer of course so it’s ok to expect somethings. But like I said if they tried and couldn’t make it work it’s fine with me.

The wolverine & moose are uncommon in zoos in various regions as well. (I think moose are more nature park material)
Also I'd rather have an iconic animal (Canada) for this game, than a wolverine.

As I also reasoned, the moose has appeared in every Zoo Tycoon game thus far, and the wolverine is a more recent addition to many zoo rosters that is becoming increasingly popular. I like beavers, but the other reason I wouldn't include them is that I haven't made any notes about underwater swimming/diving, and it feels presumptuous to assume when such a feature will be introduced. You can't do a beaver justice without it (anymore than you can do otters, penguins, or pinnipeds justice without it). Really they're pushing it already by having every swimming animal except the hippo remain on the surface, and the hippo only seems to work because it walks underwater as it does in real life.

The spectacled bear would be just another bear.. A lot of people were complaining about the Arctic wolf - could imagine this would be a lot worse if they add another similar bear.

Going with rig logic, loads of animals wouldn't make it.
For a lot of animals they would need to make a new rig and it's not like we are getting a new DLC every month so there would be enough time.

People were against the Arctic wolf for a few different reasons;
- it was technically already in the game (the timber wolf is representative of every wolf subspecies, given that it is listed as Canis lupus).
- people wanted the Arctic fox.
- the Arctic wolf is a subspecies, not a new species.

Basically, it felt like a wasted slot given there were other animals from the Arctic which would have been more appropriate (muskox, wolverine, Arctic fox, to name a few).

The spectacled bear is a whole new species. People didn't complain about the polar bear, which was a remodelled bear rig. I don't think it's fair to expect every animal to be a brand new rig. As I said, I'm trying to be realistic and temper my expectations with this list, rather than just listing what I want. If I was to list what I want it would be another absurdly long post full of nonsense among all the other long posts full of nonsense.

Although too early to tell and I still think the game will be amazing when all said and done. What this type of game needs is competition. But sadly many developers no longer see a need for zoo sims so hats off to frontier for doing it and listening. Because guess what....? It’s a money maker. The reason I say and bring this up is competition brings out the best in competing titles. Zoo tycoon always had wildlife park. Vanilla style wildlife park always looked better. Of course that changed when modders took over the zt scene. But in almost every other way zoo tycoon was better. My point is with competition new rigs and challenging aspects are added. No safe route or as everyone mentions sticking to the rig theme on here as the safe bet. I’m not accusing frontier of habitually doing it as one dlc has been released so far. But to frontier I challenge you to take the extra time develop new animals and animations for new animals. Sure some similar animals are always to be expected. The games already a home run hit as far as I’m concerned but doing that takes it to a whole nother level.

Yeah, I know - just pointed it out that you also listed uncommon animals, I even think that ZT made a mistake with the moose - even back in those days it was extremely rare in Europe (i was told the same about Asia) to have a moose/elk in their zoo
(back in those days of ZT - our local zoo had the rare honour of a baby moose birth in an European zoo)
and tbh Wolverines more popular? Let's agree to disagree on this one. Certainly doesn't apply to European zoos.

I can only judge from visiting various zoos in various countries in Europe. :D
Surprisingly the Australian animals are uncommon in most zoos - the australian section (if they have one) is mostly Kangaroo/Wallabie/Emu and maybe some exhibit animals.

I don't think diving/underwater swimming is that presumptuous. We already have a (limited) swimming feature. For example; penguins are among the highest requested animals, the same logic from your kangaroo comment would apply here (they can't exclude it and when they add it - we'll have a game-mechanic for a lot of animals).
If not, I think a hopping game mechanic and a rig for only the kangaroo isn't that realistic either. Adding dingoes would be easier..

The Arctic Wolf was indeed a wasted slot, most people agreed on 1 thing - it's just a recoloured Timber wolf.

On this forum the whole polar bear discussion was focused on their requirements but in December (on steam/reddit) I've seen quite a few comments about the poor look of the polar bear (looked more like a grolar bear). Just like the arctic wolf, I would consider a spectacled bear as a somewhat wasted slot for this moment. We already have enough bears atm.

Nobody is talking about new rigs for all animals but some continents would require a lot new rigs (Australia is home to a lot of unique animals)
Paul78 already did a nice job with his opinion on rigs, which i agree on.

They are all really great! Would buy them all, though I still hope they would made DLCs with 8-10+ animals from time to time - but I guess this sadly wont happen...

Its inclusion would also make PZ the first zoo game to include the emu

This not true actually, Wildlife Park 3s DLC "Down Under" already included Emus;) (and the Cassowary aswell) Speaking of WP3... I kinda whish Frontier would just copy WP3 (+ WP2 for missing animals) DLCs, then Planet Zoo would become the 1000% perfect zoo game for me:ROFLMAO: Too bad it wont happen - and yes, I know its much harder to implent all those animals to PZ. Oh, but without the dinosaurs and fantasy animals,of course. Extinct animals I am vary about... but as I already got a controversial wish, I should probaly let them slip😅

No matter what kind of animals Frontier decides to put in PZ in the future, I hope they do so for many years to come, so all of us might be able to get at least one of our favourite missing animals in the game(y)

I don't think diving/underwater swimming is that presumptuous. We already have a (limited) swimming feature. For example; penguins are among the highest requested animals, the same logic from your kangaroo comment would apply here (they can't exclude it and when they add it - we'll have a game-mechanic for a lot of animals).

It's not the same logic - swimming/diving requires consistent movement on a new axis (which will also be multi-directional). In any case, when I say "presumptuous", I mean I can't possibly know when Frontier intends on adding these animations or what animals they will apply to. The only thing I feel we can safely assume is that the diving animations will come with some kind of marine animal (whether that's seals, sea lions, penuins, or all of the above).

Adding dingoes would be easier..

You're preaching to the choir. If you look back at some other posts of mine, I've routinely expressed my concern that the eventual Australian DLC will be a kangaroo (which, come on, they can't not do it), a dingo, a perentie, and a freshwater crocodile.

it's just a recoloured Timber wolf.

It's not. It has had a slight remodel in the face and tail, and I believe a handful of new animations, but over-all that doesn't change much.
Just like the arctic wolf, I would consider a spectacled bear as a somewhat wasted slot for this moment. We already have enough bears atm.

Most people probably wouldn't, though. Unlike Arctic wolves, spectacled bears are in a lot of zoos all over the world. People are more accepting of 'clones' when it involves an animal they are familiar with. Most people know what an Arctic wolf is, of course, but not many people have seen one outside of a David Attenborough doco.

Nobody is talking about new rigs for all animals but some continents would require a lot new rigs (Australia is home to a lot of unique animals)
Paul78 already did a nice job with his opinion on rigs, which i agree on.
Again, I think you're missing the point - my list does not consist entirely of my own desires, but of what I consider to be realistic. It isn't realistic to expect too much from Frontier in terms of animals. Once more, in terms of Australian animals especially, you're preaching to the choir. I already feel like I'm pushing it with the animals I've chosen for that pack, I guess part of me hopes Frontier will put the work in, but deep down I feel like we'll be disappointed anyway (like I said, I think a kangaroo is guaranteed, because they'd be hanged otherwise, but I still wouldn't be surprised if we got a dingo, perentie, and freshie instead of whole new rigs).

Paul's opinion also isn't really an opinion - he's imploring Frontier to do better than they did with the Arctic Pack. Unlike Paul, I don't have a lot of faith in Frontier to deliver, and I'm saying that as someone who loves the game. My opinion is borne of an automatic and proven distrust of companies run by shareholders. The Arctic wolf, in my opinion, proved what I already suspected - like most businesses, Frontier will do the easiest thing possible to make the quickest amount of money while avoiding too extreme backlash. They'll do just enough to excite people and get their money, but at the cheapest cost to themselves.

Hey guys I get what NZFanatic is trying to say. But in reality there’s not a lot of animals were asking for that don’t use existing animals in some way or another. They don’t have to do a kangaroo of course but you almost do have to. I have confidence in that one. I’m a little more worried about penguins and otters simply because of the water mechanics involved. But I did read they’ve tweaked the water for this particular game. And since animals already swim it can’t be crazy to think they can’t tweak it for those two animals. As far as existing animals getting it also I wouldn’t know. How many times can you go backwards except for maybe crocodilians and that’s a maybe. I do know if you bug frontier enough they’ll explore all possibilities hence water parks in planet coaster. I for one know that if frontier didn’t commit to newer rigs for a couple animals and people knew that going in more people may have not bought this game. But I’m a patient guy I know there’s some optimization issues to be settled yet and I’m used to waiting for new content from the Aurora Designs days in zt2. I know good items take time. All’s I’m asking is frontier explore all possibilities and if doesn’t work for whatever reason I’ll accept that.

I guess another possible option for an Australian DLC would be to make a hopping rig and then reuse it multiple times in that one pack. So as well as a kangaroo, there could also be a species of wallaby (of which there are quite a number floating around in zoos, with the Bennett's definitely the most common) and a quokka could also probably use a macropod-type rig. I could imagine if Frontier went to the effort of making a unique rig for a kangaroo, they would try and use it multiple times.

Top Bottom