Controlling installations...does it give any "profits"

Hey there,

I'm wondering about something which I can't seem to find info anywhere.

Is there any "impact" on anything when it comes to controlling different installations/stations? Does it give any kind of "profits" to the controlling faction and can it be a burden also if controlling too much (like does it have an exploitation cost kinda)...a bit like the CC systems in Powerplay?

Except that, I'd be glad to get different inputs on, how is it, or how do you see it as beneficial to control installations other than the classic "having a foot on the ground" somewhere?

Thx in advance Fam!

Zulu Rewts [FRCQ]

As far as being the controlling faction.
I failed to see any advantage, except having value for multiple systems that are controlled for the states they are in.
Being allied with all factions in a station has an immense value.
I'm probably wrong on both accounts.

Beneficial to whom?

To individuals/squadrons and the like? Nope, except for some fringe examples of "benefit"... for example flipping a system controller from someone you have lots of bounties with to one that doesn't means you'll be more welcome across the system.

To the faction itself? nothing directly per se... there is no "interplay" between systems or assets that the game does. In other words, a system left to its own devices, with no human traffic , will do exactly that; nothing.

But there's indirect benefits. My group's faction was directed initially to control assets which formed natural trade routes. That way, the most profitable routes chosen by commanders via whatever FOTM tool found them, would have our faction at both ends of it. There's heaps of things like that, but nothing like you've described.

They do give a different way to earn influence, defending them from pirates, or whatever - or they will when they fix the mission factions from system controller to installation controller.
Also, if space legs are happening, then I bet the installations are involved. ;)

Our benefit is all ego. We control lots of installations so we get our faction name on stuff as we fly in.
But Jmanis would be the first one to rightly say it is not even really my faction as anyone can work for it and call it theirs.
So.... ego.... and getting our faction on Mangels monthly list. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/pmfs-data-charts-and-the-coming-galactic-player-wars.419845/
I actually love being on that top 200 faction list much more than I should.......

I don't see a top 200 list of anything via that link?

I don't see a top 200 list of anything via that link?
Monthly stats get posted by Mangal, check the last page.

Thing is, what do you define as "top 200"?

Top 200 by population controlled?
by systems present?
By systems controlled?
By assets controlled?
By total influence?
By quantity of positive states?
By a complex measure? (Some combination of the above, or some other feature?)

There's squadron political Leaderboards, which measure a squadrons contributions to their supported faction, but that has nothing to do with the faction itself.

Monthly stats get posted by Mangal, check the last page.

Thing is, what do you define as "top 200"?

Top 200 by population controlled?
by systems present?
By systems controlled?
By assets controlled?
By total influence?
By quantity of positive states?
By a complex measure? (Some combination of the above, or some other feature?)

There's squadron political Leaderboards, which measure a squadrons contributions to their supported faction, but that has nothing to do with the faction itself.

Yep I saw the stats.

But Marcus said "I actually love being on that top 200 faction list much more than I should....... " - I was hoping to see if my PMF was on a list, but couldn't find any lists of factions at all.

I'd guess he's referring to the chart "PMFs by population and systems controlled (500M+)" which shows the top 201 factions by those criteria.
Yup that is the one. We are around half way along which we consider amazing for such a small faction like us in the middle of the bubble.
Yep I saw the stats.

But Marcus said "I actually love being on that top 200 faction list much more than I should....... " - I was hoping to see if my PMF was on a list, but couldn't find any lists of factions at all.
Work out your faction stats and then see if you are there but you may be hidden under some ones else name as it has taken us ages to be un-hidden.
thumbnail_image003.png

Last edited:

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
Bragging rights, but what else is to gain in any game? In the end it is about having the biggest/smallest/fastest/strongest/largest/most efficient what'chacallit and not everyone likes the same things.

Another list, "realtime" but less fancy:

Our benefit is all ego. We control lots of installations so we get our faction name on stuff as we fly in.
But Jmanis would be the first one to rightly say it is not even really my faction as anyone can work for it and call it theirs.
So.... ego.... and getting our faction on Mangels monthly list. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/pmfs-data-charts-and-the-coming-galactic-player-wars.419845/
I actually love being on that top 200 faction list much more than I should.......

I agree with this. We are also a medium sized player group, and seeing us climb the ranks gives us some common goal.

Yes of course!
I was just wondering if Frontier had thought, even a little, something about this.
Well guess what they should add to their, I guess, allready long-ass improvements list lol.

Thx for your feedbacks though everyone.

o7
Zulu Rewts
Chief Cmdr of the Federation Quebecoise FRCQ (FRC-Quebec Regiment)

Nope, no profits here besides potential influence losses as mostly like your installation is going be a perfect target for other factions including factions from outside sectors. Missions related with hub scanning, destruction of power generator always result in noticeable influence drops for the faction who controls targeted ground installation.

I know surface bases are more often than not just going to be a target for missions from surrounding systems that are bad for your influence.
As for orbitals? Well, I was actually wondering whether I should deliberately start and lose a couple of wars in one particular system just to let the current controlling faction take them off my faction's hands, before making the actual push for system control.

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
Orbitals are usually good for you, since any random CMDR trading or selling exploration data helps your faction, while smuggling hurts it (unless you are anarchy).

They can make you more attackable in case you have someone actively working against you, but still usually the gains outweigh the negatives. Especially the station closest to the star is important for the random traffic.

I totally agree with Craith as we have had lots of expansions with no work from us as randoms trade with our stations. Yes we take a security hit now and then but the pros out way the cons.

Not profits (2020 New Era might bring new gains) but bases are easy targets for direct violence (you just going in and blowing stuff up for assaults and fines) as well as targets for missions. If you own a base with a destructible part it can be farmed for negtive influence. If it has a fighter then even better because inside that factions influence bubble its that faction that suffers :D

Not profits (2020 New Era might bring new gains) but bases are easy targets for direct violence (you just going in and blowing stuff up for assaults and fines) as well as targets for missions. If you own a base with a destructible part it can be farmed for negtive influence. If it has a fighter then even better because inside that factions influence bubble its that faction that suffers :D
Yeah, I've been seriously considering throwing a couple of wars in one system just to shed the anarchists' ownership of two of the orbital installations, but the problem is that the random traffic (as always) is benefitting the non-anarchists so I don't want to pass them off to the faction below me, I want to hand them to the controlling faction and then push for system control once I've ditched the rubbish

edit: another system where the anarchists do have control of the two large orbitals and other factions have the rest, the lower factions, including the previous controlling faction, are constantly bickering among themselves and it's stopping them from building back up again, it's great

Yeah, I've been seriously considering throwing a couple of wars in one system just to shed the anarchists' ownership of two of the orbital installations, but the problem is that the random traffic (as always) is benefitting the non-anarchists so I don't want to pass them off to the faction below me, I want to hand them to the controlling faction and then push for system control once I've ditched the rubbish

You can't hurt anarchy will violence. BH fights an anarchy directly by handing in bonds, and boost other factions at the same time.

Bear in mind not all bases are suitable for a good kicking- my advice is scout them and see what can be blown up- some are just boxes with streetlamps :D

Top Bottom