Newcomer / Intro Controls: disable throttle in flight mode?

Hi, I'm trying to map bindings to an Xbox one controller.

I want to have:
Flight mode thrust bound to triggers and
Supercruise throttle bound to triggers

I have managed to edit the bindings file to achieve this. The issue is that in flight mode I have throttle and thrust bound on the same key, is there anyway to disable throttle for flight mode? (Thrust doesn't work in SC so no issue there)

I could bind throttle in SC to shoulder buttons. But I kinda wanted to keep consistency i.e. forward/back on the same keys.

And ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

I bought a hotas. Never looked back.
I'm on PS4 though and my controller fix has the touch pad is bound: upper right - 100% throttle, lower right - 50% throttle, upper left - 0% throttle lower left - 100% reverse throttle.

Fair enough. I probably won't buy a hotas though.

Is there a way to force flight mode to alternative controls ? And Supercruise to normal controls.
Because then I could have alternative throttle controls with no binds for when I'm in flight mode. Guess I could just bind my Y button (FSD key) to alternative controls as well, so that when I FSD to flight mode, throttle is unbound. Might have some unexpected effects though.

Still would rather a more elegant solution, not sure if there's some commands/config I could used in the bindings config.

Whats wrong with the default settings?
file.php

Could you not swap Primary Fire with Increase throttle, and Secondary Fire with Reverse?
sounds kind of like your trying to use the navigation thruster forward (6 degrees of freedom controls) in conjunction with forward throttle.

file.php

Could you not swap Primary Fire with Increase throttle, and Secondary Fire with Reverse?
sounds kind of like your trying to use the navigation thruster forward (6 degrees of freedom controls) in conjunction with forward throttle.
Tl;Dr = default controls work if you let them

file.php

There's a few things i didn't like about default controls, and maybe it's because I'm a noob.
But i felt I had most control in flight mode with thrusters bound to the triggers (and throttle bound to nothing), they are analogue and I could easily enough set desired power and unlike throttle, when I let go of trigger it stops to 0 power.
Unfortunately in Supercruise I can't move with thrust and need to have throttle binds. I don't have enough buttons/axes to have throttle and forward/backward thrust on separate axes/buttons.
Putting both thrust and throttle on triggers ruins the flight mode as thrust is essentially ignored and I'm just flying with throttle.
So I'd like to be able to "separate" the flight modes. That is thrust only in triggers in flight mode and throttle only on triggers for SC.

I suppose I could not use thrust at all and just get use to using throttle. Or I could only use thrust on triggers and try use the D-pad or something for throttle control. (Maybe set 0 and 50 on left and right and incremental increase / decrease throttle on up and down). But that'd be kind of clunky to use.

It seems like for every other "mode" in this game you can use a different set of controls, not sure why you can't do it for super cruise vs flight. Or why thrust doesn't just work for SC.

Tldr: I prefer thrust over throttle in flight mode but can't move without throttle binds in SC.

Thanks for everyone's efforts so far.

It's probably from being new to the game. when I first started playing I tried to switch my throttle and my firing around. I tried to make it more like most driving games, like hold r2 for full throttle hold l2 for reverse throttle. but for some reason it wouldn't let me super Cruise when my settings were like that. Switch back to default and key-binded some things.

Works great with a keybind for heatsink & chaff

...make it more like most driving games, like hold r2 for full throttle hold l2 for reverse throttle....
Ok so i figured it out. Works like a driving game now.

Tldr:
Bind right trigger to analogue throttle axis, ensure full range option is selected (not forward only).
Bind left trigger to Thrust axes, ensure inverted is selected (so it works as reverse).

Enjoy having full control:
Supercruise 0 to 100% on right trigger (analogue)
Note: reverse does not exist in SC and letting go of trigger is same or even slightly faster, than the default controls using down throttle.
Flight mode 0 to 100% on right trigger (analogue)
And 0 to -100% on left trigger (analogue)
Both triggers drop to 0% when let go. And analogue means you can half press for 50% power etc.

Long winded explanation, in the hopes it might help some other noobs:

For the throttle, having "forward only" made it so right trigger would sit somewhere around 50% (blue zone) when released. Which I didn't like. Enabling "full range" made it so that when I released the trigger throttle went straight to 0%. (This is having trigger bound to forward/backward throttle axis (analogue), so I can press it 1/3 the way in and throttle is at 33%). In flight mode this set up behaves exactly like thrust would.

Supercruise has no such thing as reverse or even brake, just 0-100% throttle. Right trigger effectively controls all forward/back motion in SC. (Even tested letting go of trigger vs holding "down throttle" on a key bind, they both stop in the same time, so down throttle bind is not needed for super cruise (given the above right trigger config).

Now for reverse/backward thrust. Using the backward thrust bind on left trigger made it (digital) so when I slightly pressed trigger it was 100% and let go was 0% there was no in between.
So I bound left trigger to the analogue Thrust axis and used inverted (instead of regular), now I can use left trigger to go from 0 to -100% and anywhere in between.

I also have Y-button + D-pad left right up down for 0,50,75,100% throttle for when I cbf squeezing the trigger. Also I recommend putting lasers/main guns on weapon slot 2 (left shoulder button), makes it more comfortable to shoot, "thrust" and manoeuvre at the same time.

Works like a charm (like a racing game as you put it).

Thanks guys!

Top Bottom