Cooler than the other side of the pillow

Much of this first post is irrelevant now other than for the backstory. The real juice in down below in post #19

So the other day I was looking at my fleet mulling over the idea of eliminating a few ships and I starting taking a hard look at my DBX. I really like that little ship but long story short it kind of lost its identity in my fleet. I was about to pull the trigger on it when I remembered a thread I had read over on DD a week or so ago and then inspiration hit me. So instead of selling it I changed the outfitting a bit and then visited a couple of engineers and....

Voilà

My cold running DBX. It runs at 10% heat in super cruise, 9% w/o the fuel scoop or disabling it. It will drop to 7% if I also deactivate the shield gen and PD though I probably wouldn't ever do that. It has a 63 LY jump range and a boost speed of 430 m/s though that obviously causes the heat to rise. I'm not sure what I'm going to use it for but it definitely stands out in my fleet now, plus its cool as <redacted>. pun very intentional, unnecessary and bad.

Edit: I found out the temp will actually drop down to 9%. I'm not sure what made the difference. My destination was a bit further out from the arrival point than usual when it happened so it might have just been the additional time to cool off. The other thing is I disabled my fuel scoop as I was going to be in this system for a while so the drop in power draw could have done it.

Edit #2: I've edited the numbers in the spoiler above to reflect the DBX's performance with its current set up.

The difference noted earlier was in fact the fuel scoop

Also I should explain that I like to disable modules when not in use, for example the cargo hatch is always off in every ship unless I'm picking up cargo. Another examples would be powering down an SRV hangar until I'm actually on a planet's surface and/or disabling shields when I'm far out into uninhabited space. There are two reasons for this. First the practical: this lets me utilize a smaller power plant thus saving weight and boosting jump range while lowering rebuy costs. Second reason is just head cannon: Managing modules gives me more to do while in flight and feels more like I'm in control of a real ship then using a "set it and forget it" approach. I hope that last bit makes sense even if it is impractical.

Last edited:
How did you get the temp so low? I could only get it to about 30% on Coriolis.io. Did you use a smaller power plant with no other systems in it?

Updated the OP with some new info.

How did you get the temp so low? I could only get it to about 30% on Coriolis.io. Did you use a smaller power plant with no other systems in it?
First off I want to point out that the information on Coriolis for that particular stat isn't working as intended as it doesn't reflect engineer upgrades yet. Its a newer addition so I'm hoping they sort that out soon.

For max heat efficiency you have to consider both thermal load and power draw. Here's a link to the thread that got me started on this rabbit trail: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/a-week-in-the-making-a-rare-indigenous-stealth-beluga.510480/
The OP is using a Beluga but you see what's going on as they explain the process later in the thread. Right now I'm still trying my DBX in different roles to see if I can use a smaller power plant in place of the one I'm currently using. Once that's sorted I'll update the build on Coriolis and share it.

The DBS should be an even lower heat signature if you engineer it the same way
In theory yes it definitely should. However I don't have a DBS. The DBX has always been more useful to me.

Last edited:
Why r u here atleast have the common decenacy to stop posting if you assert your finished with the game....

Or is the poster a clickbait type just bored and feeling lonely , i c same dog mess , all very well making the new front end being more complicated for us xbox types , the forum that is but honestly...

Last edited:

BongoBaggins

Volunteer Moderator
Why r u here atleast have the common decenacy to stop posting if you assert your finished with the game....

Or is the poster a clickbait type just bored and feeling lonely , i c same dog mess , all very well making the new front end being more complicated for us xbox types , the forum that is but honestly...
If you'd read his entire thread you'd know why he's still posting. Stasis Wolf is welcome to stay as long as he likes, as is anyone. So we'll just leave it there, thankyou.

If you'd read his entire thread you'd know why he's still posting. Stasis Wolf is welcome to stay as long as he likes, as is anyone. So we'll just leave it there, thankyou.
I'm assuming someone I've chosen to ignore along the way brought up my failed farewell?

I loooove the DBS
Speaking of the failed farewell. My play time isn't near what it was before so I've no lack for things to do when I play. Otherwise it would almost be tempting to grab a DBS and engineer to see how cold it gets.... once I finalized the DBX that is. I'd only be out the 10% of the hull price and a few engineer materials since I have a few modules laying around that would work for the ones that wouldn't directly swap over from the DBX. A quick glance at Coriolis shows that it would be significantly faster but that's a given and it could manage around a 50+ LY jump range.

BongoBaggins

Volunteer Moderator
The 3A max fuel scoop is its only downside. Look up WiggyB's Hard As Rails video for an idea. It's almost an identical build to mine. Shieldless, it'll take down any NPC

The 3A max fuel sco5op is its only downside. Look up WiggyB's Hard As Rails video for an idea. It's almost an identical build to mine. Shieldless, it'll take down any NPC
Yeah that 3A scoop was the deal breaker for me. I've just learned to live with the 4A on the DBX over time... barely that is. The DBX saw more use during my stay out at Colonia. When everything is less than 45 LY away there's no need for a scoop.

Also I'm pretty sure I've seen that video but I'll have to give it another look.

BongoBaggins

Volunteer Moderator
The DBX though, you know how much I loved that ship. I still have one with a 70LY jump but I never use it because the Asp is just so capable - I was attacked at Explorer's Anchorage in mine and I just flew off @ 545m/s. Nothing can compete with that; it's even faster than my Fer de Lance.
And it jumps 64LY.
There's also the Phantom. I don't see a reason for the DBX to exist anymore, even the Cobra III is a better smuggler

Harassment of posters is not tolerated. This user has been banned from the thread for continued baiting and harassment.
Ill make it easy 4 u clickbait

Nice :)

But darn... your CMDR is going to catch a cold in that Ship ;)

If you ever visit Hutton Orbital in that ship, I could imagine reading a GALnet article one day :

Medial experts in Alpha Centauri stunned by unexpected discovery!

16 hours ago, System Authority detected a distress call near Hutton. Upon investigation, a completely frozen up Vessel was found.
After being towed in, the Rescue Crews discovered a 2 by 1 meter large Ice Cube in the Cockpit - with a Commander inside!

Even considering the advanced capabilities of the Remlok Suit, it was described as nothing short of a miracle that the CMDR was found still alive after being freed from the solid ice pack.
Local authority stated that they had no explanation for the freak incident, other than the Vessel being found heavily engineered using highly specialized components.

Last edited:
The DBX though, you know how much I loved that ship. I still have one with a 70LY jump but I never use it because the Asp is just so capable - I was attacked at Explorer's Anchorage in mine and I just flew off @ 545m/s. Nothing can compete with that; it's even faster than my Fer de Lance.
And it jumps 64LY.
There's also the Phantom. I don't see a reason for the DBX to exist anymore, even the Cobra III is a better smuggler
Oh I know just how capable the AspX is. I got mine like 2 or 3 weeks into the GPP and did everything in it including the majority of my Fuel Rat rescues. I just spent too much time with it and wanted a change of pace. That's where the DBX came in. Coincidentally it was around the same time it got buffed. But similar to your experience with the AspX, the introduction of the Krait Phantom and its capability caused my DBX to start gathering dust. IMHO the only thing both of the Kraits really lack is that view from the cockpit the AspX has but they're close enough considering what they do offer me.

The DBX set up I'm working on now can still be a 70+ range explorer by dropping in an FSD booster if I ever want a change of pace from the Phantom but now I've managed to give it back a bit of its own personality and maybe opened up a few other opportunities for it. Its given me something to do while I search for an agent.

Last edited:
If you could do this with a T7, we'd finally have a literal space fridge.
I get what you're saying, just need to slap a coat of appliance whi.... err a tactical white paint job on it. But not for me thanks that can be someone else's experiment.

Also I updated the OP with new numbers and another screen shot for proof.

Last edited:
Updated the OP with some new info.

First off I want to point out that the information on Coriolis for that particular stat isn't working as intended as it doesn't reflect engineer upgrades yet. Its a newer addition so I'm hoping they sort that out soon.

For max heat efficiency you have to consider both thermal load and power draw. Here's a link to the thread that got me started on this rabbit trail: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/a-week-in-the-making-a-rare-indigenous-stealth-beluga.510480/
The OP is using a Beluga but you see what's going on as they explain the process later in the thread. Right now I'm still trying my DBX in different roles to see if I can use a smaller power plant in place of the one I'm currently using. Once that's sorted I'll update the build on Coriolis and share it.
Ah, I was suspecting something like that with Coriolis.
After I posted here, I found this thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/833ah7 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/833ah7/dbx_cold_ship_9_heat_shields_60ly_jump/

I've only just started with engineering, so it'll be awhile till I unlock and rank them all up to try it. Plus, I keep getting distracted from it with other things I want to do. Coriolis is really helpful for keeping my build-plans together.

Right now I'm still trying my DBX in different roles to see if I can use a smaller power plant in place of the one I'm currently using. Once that's sorted I'll update the build on Coriolis and share it.
I've finalized the build. Link and pic below but I want to talk about it a bit first. This build is not a min/max extreme. I need this ship to be serviceable for me. Every module and it's engineering was chosen with this in mind. Having said that I'm not sure you can get this ship much colder and still have it running. It stands to reason that ships have a minimum operating temperature. There are some modules you can not disable and of those you can only cool them down so much. This set up is very close to that point as I seem to be "splitting percentages." What does that mean? I'll explain below

The build in the link is the base of this ship and the load out I've based my results on. From there I can swap modules out depending on the task at hand and/or how far I have to travel. The 3A power plant may look excessive in the link but it allows for the addition of a 4A fuel scoop, a 2G SRV bay, and a size 4 FSD booster in place of cargo racks all at the same time with a minimum of power management and only a slight temperature increase. The D rated power distributor was chosen for its power draw and the size so that the ship could boost with a decent recharge rate after engineering. Normally I'm a "A" class, engineered for speed, type pilot when it comes to thrusters but here the 4D thrusters were chosen for the power draw and engineered accordingly. They are more than sufficient for planetary landings on all but the highest G worlds. It's speed is more then sufficient for sneaking in or out of a station without getting scanned but probably will not outrun your average gank boat.

The goodies:
Link - https://s.orbis.zone/37xh

The proof
7% with shields and boost o_O

Now what was that about "splitting percentages" earlier? To be sure of my number I did several test flights in both super cruise and normal space. Every time I made a significant change I would do at least one run of each letting the ship cool down on its own. Then I would also do at least one run in each mode using a heatsink to rapidly cool the ship and see what it would warm back up to after an extended flight. Testing this set up I had to fly a few extras runs because while I most frequently got the 7% shown I also got a random 8%. After many test runs all without changing any settings I could not get the 8% to duplicate reliably. I think what is happening is that when the game calculates the ships load out and then factors in the engineering to display the heat that it sometimes rounds up. Finally I should point out that I did try a few runs with the shield and PD disabled. However the running temperature would not go below 7%. These are the reasons why I believe this ship won't go much colder..... at least not without a true min/max treatment..

Now that I'm done with this I need to busy myself with other things until I've suppressed the urge to buy and build a rail gun DBS like Bongo shared. After all I was trying to downsize my fleet not add to it. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom