Core Mining Bug?

When placing my seismic charges I'm getting them in the optimum yield range.

Yet when they detonate it states I've exceeded the optimum yield range?

Not sure if this is a bug or I'm doing something wrong?

Nine tons is crappy if you are used to getting mostly 15's and its only been happening even since the 1st beta for FC's.

(On PC) I just ignore that "warning," it's usually wrong as long as you don't show any red in the optimization bars, and even then as long as it's only a few squares. The "perfect" level of charges is one solid and one majority but still partial blue above that, and anything above that triggers that dopey warning. Nonetheless, even a "perfect" setup (no warning) doesn't guarantee 15 chunks, nor does the warning automatically mean you'll be getting a significantly reduced return -- more often than not I get 11 to 15 chunks despite the warning.

Addendum: I just finished an LTD run on some rings I found in Beta 2, very rich and dense rings, fun to fly in. Of the last three cores where I got the dopey warning, I scored 15, 14, and 12 chunks, plus abraded scabs. One of those, the 14-chunker, had some red squares in the optimization readout as well. Of the two cores where no warning was given, I got only 10 and 12 chunks. The upshot is, ignore the dopey warning, 'cause it's dopey.

Last edited:
Cheers for the replies guys.

I seem to be getting another bug. Made over 1.5 billion mining, never had a core asteroid fail to detonate. Today I've mined 3 in a row and every one failed to detonate.

Usually I place 3 charges. Did it normally on my first and it failed to detonate. On the next I specifically targeted low and average strength fissures and it still failed. On the last rock I targeted all the fissures and it still failed to detonate. Despite having it in the blue.

What the hell is going on?

I targeted all the fissures and it still failed to detonate. Despite having it in the blue.
I'd have to see a screenshot to confirm this, but it sounds like you were not enough "in the blue." In my experience successful detonation requires the first blue bar be 100% full, and I usually go for that plus at least 50% of the second bar but tbh it's near impossible to tailor shots to that specific a result. Zero squares in the second blue bar usually means less than 100% in the first bar because of the fluctuation inherent in the readout, and hence a fizzle. Good news is you can try again and more often than not with one charge you can split the rock. The readout will always say it's way overcharged, and yield may be reduced, but it's better than nothing. Paradoxically, with the overcharged second round it can still fail completely but that is rare, rarer in fact than a second round giving a high yield.

As always YMMV because the Universe like to mess with its sentient inhabitants.

Top Bottom