Cortes Base Circuit challenge: An Elite Racers standing time trial

Cortes Base Circuit challenge: An Elite Racers standing time trial

EPmPJEO.jpg

How to SUBMIT AN ENTRY
  • Start near the lights outside the base.
  • Complete 3 laps.
    • Timer starts as you enter the tunnel on your 1st lap.
    • Timer ends as you exit the tunnel at the end of your 3rd lap.
Post your entry somewhere I'll see it.
Such as
  • This thread
  • Discord
I try to update at least every weekend (when possible)

LEADERBOARD

Click this link to visit the centralised leaderboard.
Last updated 2020-05-02

What is this?

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQdRI0gfeek

Cortes Base Circuit is an Elite Racers themed time trial standing challenge.

Frontier Developments put on a 24hr charity livestream to participate in Gameblast20 and help raise money for SpecialEffect!.
During the livestream Will, Danny, Paige and Rob attempted to ‘race’ around the Elite Racers Cortes Base Circuit.
Clip of their attempt during the livestream (starts at 3h30m00s)

Unlike the Elite Racers usual live events,
The standing time trial takes place on your own time, racing around Cortes Base in the Ross 1047 System (roughly 47Ly from Sol) using the in-game clock to record your time.
The clock starts as you enter the Cortes Base planetary base outer ring tunnel and ends as you exit the tunnel after completing 3 Laps of the Elite Racers Cortes Base Circuit track layout.

Push the limits to see just how fast it can be done? or,
Just give it a go and see what you get? if you’re faster than Will, Danny, Paige and Rob!

COURSE LAYOUT MAP - Elite Racers Cortes Base Circuit
[Updated map provided by CMDR Sanderling]
cortesmap.jpg
and the
[Old map]

image0.png

Class and courses

Classes
Entries will be grouped by the following,
  • All small ships (All modules and mods allowed)
  • All medium ships (All modules and mods allowed) [Beware your ship height]
  • All large ships (All modules and mods allowed) [Confirmed only Orca will fit]
  • Elite Challenge (All modules and mods allowed)
  • Flight Assist Off (All ships, modules and mods allowed)
  • Ship Launched Fighters (SLF)
  • Surface Recon Vehicle (SRV) [Special rules for the SRV]

MAIN COURSE (except SRV)
  • Complete 3 laps.
  • MAIN COURSE Demonstration Video - by CMDR Eidola Nyx
SRV COURSE
  • Start near the tunnel entrance.
  • Complete just 1 lap.
    • Timer starts as you enter the tunnel.
    • Timer ends as you exit the tunnel where you started.
  • YOU MUST DRIVE THROUGH THE GANTRIES ALONG THE CIRCUIT
  • NOTE 1: before the entrance ramp, those 2 domes at the corner can be cut.
  • NOTE 2: riding the city wall during the outside city portion of the circuit is not valid.
  • SRV COURSE Demonstration Video - by CMDR Alec Turner
ELITE CHALLENGE COURSE
Want an extra challenge to the course?
  • Complete 3 laps.
  • YOU MUST FLY THROUGH THE GANTRIES ALONG THE CIRCUIT
  • ELITE CHALLENGE Demonstration Video - by CMDR Terrorsidic

HOW TO ENTER

Please include:
  • CMDR name.
  • Ship type.
  • Race class
  • Link to video

Submitting an entry
Evidence can be posted to this thread, sent via private message,
posted in the events channel in the Elite Racers discord,
or the Cortes Base Challenges channel in the Buckyball Racing Club discord.

Proof of entry.
Video capture your run.
I use OBS Studio.
If the default settings don't work, please don’t hesitate to ask for help here or in 1 of the above discord channels.

Otherwise, most video cards have in built software that will enable video capture without excessive performance impact.
(Shadowplay for Nvidia, Plays.tv for AMD, and Game DVR for Xbox).

Screenshots alone will not be accepted.

You will need to upload your video somewhere safe (so it won’t expire) and link it.
I recommend youtube.

FAQ
  • SRV - can the SRV enter the Elite Challenge? No, I don't want either of us to endure a grueling 30min of SRV'ing to complete the 3 laps. Huge props to CMDR Alec Turner and CMDR Shaye who did, but I unfortunately didn't get time to test the SRV myself and it's turned out exhausting instead of fun. I don't want that, so special 1 Lap challenge for the SRV instead.
  • Why start near the lights outside the planetary base? It’s meant to mimic the start point in an Elite Racers live race event. It's also meant to limit the 'run up speed' heading toward the timer start point at the tunnel entrance.
  • The finish line isnt at the start line, so its more like 2 and half laps! Yep that's right. Using the lights on the outside of the base is fantastic for live events with the Elite Racers where a race marshal can help spot finishers, but for a time trial where I've only got the pilots POV, makes my job harder to narrow down the time, especially once the faster racers start fighting over seconds for podium.
  • I can’t launch my SLF in a no fire zone? Take your ship 10km away from the base in any direction and launch from there. I would recommend you tell the mother ship to hold position, lest it attempt to follow you racing around the base.
  • Can I have someone record me do the sprint? Yes, they’ll need to find somewhere they can keep a good view of you racing the track accurately AND show the ingame time so I can verify both.
  • Can I use VR? Sure can! Just ensure I can see the clock at the start and finish going into the tunnel.

When does it end?
It doesn't.
I'll keep taking entries for as long as the game is (or I am) around.

Learn more about Elite Racers

[*](NSC) Ninsun Scarab Challenges - standing time trial
[*](8WD) 8WD SRV Time Trials - standing time trial
[*](OSS) OKINURA STATION SPRINT - standing time trial
[*]Come chat with us on Discord
[*]Watch some Elite Racers in action on Youtube
[/LIST]

Last edited:

Deleted member 121570

D
Awesomeness indeed! Looking forward to this one...

BONUS TRACKS

Cortes Base Drag Strip - Buckyball Racing Club
While you're visting Cortes Base @ Ross 1047, make sure to give the Buckyball Racing Club SRV time trial a whirl!

Cortes Base Drag Strip

Cortes Base Elite Down Under - Elite Racers
An interesting circuit that may not last if Cortes Base every gets patched!

Recommended SLF or SRV!
Times will be added to the Cortes Base Circuit leaderboard, but kept at the bottom.
Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1FYKo3Ln7Y

How to - Cortes Base Elite Down Under
  • Start at the entrance where the ramp actually touches the ground,
    - (should be pointing at a bearing near 0 degrees).
  • Timer starts as you enter tunnel.
  • Fly through gantries and under bridge and out the other tunnel as shown.
  • Hard left as you exit tunnel.
  • Look for a gap under Cortes Base
    • I aim between the first 2 'spurs'
  • Head UNDER Cortes Base.
  • Come out the other side near the start tunnel.
    • I aim for a bearing of 150 degrees
  • Make your way back to the start tunnel
  • End of Lap 1 once you exit the start tunnel.
    • SRV = 1 lap only!
    • Everything else = do 3 laps.
  • Finish/Timer ends once you exit the tunnel.

Last edited:
My first Elite Challenge SLF entry uploading now.

Video will be available here in about 10 mins:
Source: https://youtu.be/6Szl6OYU3S8

I'm claiming a time of 05:19 for this one. I had to go by the video play time as my head tracking meant the HUD clock was obscured for quite a lot of the time. Let me know if that's not acceptable and I'll turn head tracking off or else make damn sure to look straight ahead at the start and finish lines.

Quick question - for the SRV do we still have to do 3 laps?
Actually never mind - I just did 1 quick practice lap in the SRV - 3 laps will be fine. I'll work on that more tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'm claiming a time of 05:19 for this one. I had to go by the video play time as my head tracking meant the HUD clock was obscured for quite a lot of the time. Let me know if that's not acceptable and I'll turn head tracking off or else make damn sure to look straight ahead at the start and finish lines.

Head tracking is fine,
I just need to see the clock at 1st tunnel entry and end of 3rd lap tunnel exit.

BUT, I don't want to be super strict until people start chasing seconds for podium positions
So I'm still going to count it as valid (for now). :)

Cmdr Shaye Blackwood
Ship: SRV
Ship name: Delta
Class: SRV
Video:
Source: https://youtu.be/dWQPlAASxU0
Oh bravo sir, beat me to it! It really is a pretty epic challenge in the SRV. Just completed my own first attempt this morning, will be uploading later on (faster internet at work).

@Terrorsidic for future SRV attempts can I just ask ... do you mind if we start with the SRV parked just outside the ramp rather than all the way back at the mining installation? Happy to do either but don't want to waste my time unnecessarily.

P.S. oh, and one other question re: the SRV challenge - when we're coming around the outside of the city, just before the entrance ramp ... do we need to go around/over those external domes or can we cut the corner and go between the domes and the city? (would prefer that route but don't want to be disqualified).

Last edited:
@Terrorsidic for future SRV attempts can I just ask ... do you mind if we start with the SRV parked just outside the ramp rather than all the way back at the mining installation? Happy to do either but don't want to waste my time unnecessarily.

For the SRV, I'll let you start parked on the start line at the tunnel enterance.
So parked just outside is fine.

Not directed at you, just general knowledge for everyone reading.
The spirit of the ruling to start off to the side between the 2 tunnels, is to limit 'run up speed' to the timer start location.

just before the entrance ramp ... do we need to go around/over those external domes or can we cut the corner and go between the domes and the city? (would prefer that route but don't want to be disqualified).

For the SRV, I'll let you can cut those.
So you can go from tunnel exit to tunnel entry however you like, so long as its on the outside of the city.

New place to throw my silly fat, slow ships around :)

Source: https://youtu.be/ykA6I-A8ZFo

Cmdr Madrax573
Ship: Python
Ship Name: Ironhide
Class: FA off (medium)
Wait ... didn't I just see this Python sloshing around the Okinura Sprint? Bravo sir - I totally salute the use of innappropriate ships in a race!

"If you want to be the best, if you want to beat the rest, dedication's being in a class of your own is what you need "

Wait ... didn't I just see this Python sloshing around the Okinura Sprint? Bravo sir - I totally salute the use of innappropriate ships in a race!

"If you want to be the best, if you want to beat the rest, dedication's being in a class of your own is what you need "

Yup the same ship :)

From the Buckyball Cortes Base Drag Strip thread,
After 25 minutes of wrestling the SRV around that Elite Racer course three times (a course far more suited to vehicles that can actually fly) I genuinely needed to just let rip in a straight line for a bit.
Hmm,
Maybe I really should take the time to make a detailed information section for the SRV. :unsure:
Least then it'll be easier to make specifc rules for the SRV and drop the length down to 1 lap ~ish,
I say 'ish, as watching you skip over those spurs on the outside of the city was fantastic :oops:

EDIT: I will make those changes once my time allows. Please check with me on discord in the meantime.

Last edited:
Top Bottom