Cortes Base Circuit challenge: An Elite Racers standing time trial

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Had a great time blasting around this track yesterday, it's been a while since I've done anything like this and it's so hard to string 3 laps together. Never the less, my fastest run still included a few "taps" along the way :D

Cmdr Ozric
Ship: Eagle
Ship Name: Fool of a Took
Ship Class: Small Ship
Time: 3:26 I make it

Video:
Source: https://youtu.be/WQcBOpapWV0

A big thanks to Cmdr Sanderling for showing me around the course for a few laps when I arrived too, had fun racing around with him especially as he was doing the Elite course so would drop down as I stayed up on entering the base :D

Source: https://youtu.be/5hspwqUAmmU

Managed to regain my ability to fly clean laps long enough to improve my time. Slight improvement for SRV too.

Cmdr Shaye Blackwood
Ship: SRV
Ship name: Heavy Metal
SRV name: Lightning
Class: SRV
Time: 7:51?
Video:
Source: https://youtu.be/m0ezql1HUqg

Cmdr Shaye Blackwood
Ship: Sidewinder
Ship name: Lightning
Class: Elite challenge
Time: 2:56?
Video:
Source: https://youtu.be/6EZMuF1sVWU
Bravo! I keep telling myself re: the SRV run - how hard can it be to string together a perfect 8 minute run, come on, it's just 8 minutes, surely you can go 8 minutes without making a mistake. The fact is tho' that, were I to number my SRV's like you have I'd probably be in the "Pursuit of Excellence" #123 by now. It's no longer even about winning, just about doing a run with no major mistakes, preferably under 8 minutes. So yeah - bravo - I know only too well how fine the margins of error are for making a run like that!

And I only number the ones I complete :p
I really hate how the SRV behaves once it's on the ground, all it wants to do is spin around 180 degrees.
Funny you should say that ... normally I defend it and say how it's really low g so it's amazing it performs as well as it does ... but yeah, after this morning's racing I was imagining taking the value of whatever variable in the code affects that grip/spin thing and maybe tweaking it, just a tiny bit, perhaps only by 1 or 2%, so that breathing heavy doesn't make it spin round while trying to turn that first corner off the starting ramp. 😄

Oh, also - is there a known bug where the planetary vehicle hangar powers itself off every single damn time you get back in a Krait? It's getting really annoying now.

Deleted member 121570

D
Awesome time @Shaye Blackwood ! I got no hope of catching that FA-off for now - I'll keep trying from time to time tho for sure :)
Now..hrm....there's that fast run to get sub-2 minutes :p
Oh, and there's that damn 2 minute mark at Okinura to break too....
Much on the agenda!

Oh right, Okinura, should pay another visit to that. It's been so long, I'd need to check if I really got worse as it seems here. 😅

Seriously though I turned off rotational correction, weapons and defences..it feels smoother. If I am accepted as a good run means I match 5th place..I can feel ok about that

Suppose I should post one of these.

Current standings,

1st2nd3rd
Top 3:Sanderling
(Viper)
Shaye Blackwood
(Sidewinder)
Ozric
(Eagle)
FA off:Sanderling
(Viper)
Madrax573
(Python)
Elite Challenge:Shaye Blackwood
(Sidewinder)
Sanderling
(Sidewinder)
Terrorsidic
(Condor)
Small:Sanderling
(Viper)*
Shaye Blackwood
(Sidewinder)*
Ozric
(Eagle)
Medium:Aken B
(Keelback)
Madrax573
(Python)*
Large:
SLF:Terrorsidic
(Condor)*
Alec Turner
(Taipan)*
Sulu
(Condor)*
SRV Special:Shaye Blackwood
(Scarab)
Alec Turner
(Scarab)
Elite Challenge:
Underground
Terrorsidic
(Condor)

* = entry already in another class.
Will be kept to one class once leaderboard fills out with more entries.

Last edited:
Right, that's it ... I'm out!

My best run from the last 5 days is an 08:13 ..

Try as I might (and I've easily made over 100 attempts now!) I just cannot break the 8 minute barrier. The final straw was a run this morning which seemed perfect in every way. I was doing 55 at the end of the 1st stretch of outer road, I managed to maintain around 43 on the inner road circuit, I hit the exit ramp doing over 50, the outside circuit seemed fine and I managed to land right on the ramp and then turn pretty smoothly into the final tunnel (I maybe lost 3 seconds getting temporarily stuck on the central barrier). I was shaking by the end and when I glanced at the video file I could instantly see it was smaller than my previous video files. This time it was right, it would work, and no one would have to get nailed to anything it would definitely be WAY under the 8 minutes. But ... when I checked (and double checked, and triple checked the video) ... 08:18. I literally could not believe it!!!

C'est la vie - that's it, I recognise my limits and I'm done. I'm submitting the above 08:13 run as my best attempt but for the sake of my sanity (and I cannot believe the ludicrousness of what I'm about to say) ... I'm going to return to planet "Wormwood" and complete the second half of my circumnavigation.

To Cmdr Shaye Blackwood I give my heartiest salute.

ZzHFtwg.gif

To get the times you've achieved, without being able to see where you're going half the time, and with digital steering inputs ... just absolutely extraordinary sir!

But please, for the love of god ... save yourself and go and drive around a planet or something! 😂

I'll leave you with a short clip of a run this morning where I ended up going around a part of the outer circle on two wheels. It's probably not very spectacular to look at but I'm sure Shaye will appreciate that this just does not happen!

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I'll leave you with a short clip of a run this morning where I ended up going around a part of the outer circle on two wheels. It's probably not very spectacular to look at but I'm sure Shaye will appreciate that this just does not happen!
I mean that is impressive. I hope your sanity returns from travelling around a planet on your own ;)

Right, that's it ... I'm out!

By all that's good in the world, how have you managed to not spin that? I don't even understand how you got it on 2 (3?) wheels, not to mention keeping it going straight.
Have a relaxing vacation on Wormwood, rebuild your mental battery.

For next time you give it a shot:
I looked at your lap and couldn't spot where you were slower than me either, so I put the numbers into my spreadsheet to compare sector times to mine. It's all at the tail end. At my "halfway" mark you're 2 seconds ahead of me. I have a theory that since I can't see where I'm going I am able to focus on building speed instead of aiming for the next bounce.

For next time you give it a shot:
I looked at your lap and couldn't spot where you were slower than me either, so I put the numbers into my spreadsheet to compare sector times to mine. It's all at the tail end. At my "halfway" mark you're 2 seconds ahead of me. I have a theory that since I can't see where I'm going I am able to focus on building speed instead of aiming for the next bounce.
If you have the original, un-sped-up version of your video I could create a split screen version which might be interesting to watch? I think you're right tho - on both counts.

Top Bottom