Could Frontier please demonstrate how to use the FSS enjoyably?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I can't. I've tried.

If frontier were as adamant and hardline to demand that choice should be removed, the only justification would be if the mechanic that replaced it was capable of being the entire pillar.

The mechanic of discovering something is literally one activation of a button. A click. The panning is terrible with both joysticks, mice, hotas thumbsticks.. though it kinda makes sense on the console controllers that developers probably have at their workstations. The tuning doesn't add anything to the experience. There's no depth to it, its about as complex as my 2yr olds mobile matching games. The status is binary on/off. Theres no variability permitting decision or skill for effected outcomes from player agency.

It seems the new title rebel galaxy outlaw is doing something similar with their quick travel, point and click and you're there. But that's not a sign of gamers, they're using as the option which removes the mechanic entirely.

Click click.

Just to fill the gaps, certainly nothing was better than something bad. Especially since nothing by accidental nature dumped the exploration experience on an activity that was 100% pure, pristine player agency. Yes better.

As a supporting evidence, new mining. The glowing rocks provide something that the fss doesn't. Before the learning experience is complete, distant identification of the glowing ones is real a learned skill. And then even once done, there's depth, because a player has a variable choice, they could just min max like a chump, or they could decide they want to go for deposits, do surface mining, whatever they want.. like the rest of the elite sandbox. Its just not fair how exploration came out limp.
Just to be clear, I'm not saying I'd personally ever find it fun, but it's got a certain 'slot machine' aspect to it that is well known to be addictive - keep pulling the lever and you may win an ELW.

The FSS is a good idea with an unpolished execution. I think a few small tweaks which are mentioned here could make it very acceptable to 90% of the players.
It's probably acceptable to 90% of the players already, since it's quick, simple and pays lots for minimal effort, and FDev has been courting players who like that kind of thing since Michael Brookes left.

Yes people, I'm aware that some of you like it for different reasons (I'm looking at you @Darkfyre99), but you're just as much in the minority as the 10% of us who simply don't like it.

It's probably acceptable to 90% of the players already, since it's quick, simple and pays lots for minimal effort, and FDev has been courting players who like that kind of thing since Michael Brookes left.
I've heard at least 3 content creators on youtube throw down the gauntlet "as long as I can do it faster it will be good", and frontier are pretty attune to "social" so you can see how that came about.

Yeah its real.

But like as any adult, you're still responsible because those same kids have a very weak attention span, and if what you give them is a cookie clicker they're going to go away anyway, or never were fundamentally interested in exploration in the first place. Hmm the plot thickens.

Btw I've never understood this. Elite doesn't even come close to have the content for this demographic. Its a simulator sandbox. But frontier can't let it go for some reason still think... euro truck simulator really, really doesn't get pushed at kids playing fortnight. They're happy being a different genre...

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I'm not saying I'd personally ever find it fun, but it's got a certain 'slot machine' aspect to it that is well known to be addictive - keep pulling the lever and you may win an ELW.
Not sure what you mean with "slot machine aspect". If someone really sucks with the FSS then it indeed turns into a slot machine.

The ADS had the same 'slot machine' concept.
'Slot machine' isn't exactly what I meant, but I couldn't thing of a better analogy, sorry. Maybe one will come to me.

Regardless, it would be more accurate to call the jump stage the 'slot machine', regardless of how you uncover the 'prize'.

Maybe the FSS is more like an advent calendar - you know there's chocolate in there, but it's enjoyable to open it.

Whatever, some people like it. I'm not judging them.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom