Could we get rid of the silly starter cockpit mode.

The coming update is bills as a quailty of life changes. Add the starter cockpit mode to that or just go back to the old way. The the last update the game had some one button changes, but then you folks add this cockpit mode switching. Ok maybe it has a furture benifit that has not been announced but the starter cockpit mode, that can not be switched to after the first mode change does not make sense. Unless I am missing something.

The coming update is bills as a quailty of life changes. Add the starter cockpit mode to that or just go back to the old way. The the last update the game had some one button changes, but then you folks add this cockpit mode switching. Ok maybe it has a furture benifit that has not been announced but the starter cockpit mode, that can not be switched to after the first mode change does not make sense. Unless I am missing something.

Well I must be missing something because I have no idea what you are talking about, starter cockpit mode? The only special thing I can work out was the initial instrument check that you can turn of and off, but starter cockpit mode? Surely that's the combat mode default starting mode, it just changes to analysis mode with one button or back to combat mode when pressed again.

When you first log in you in a cockpit mode and have to change to analysis or combat but the first cockpit view can not be returned to unless you log out and in again. Why can't it start with analysis mode or combat mode why the extra step. unless I am missing a way to turn it off?

Could be referring to seeing the fire groups briefly displayed before they go away? I thought I had missed a completely new cockpit and HUD for years when I read the OP.

When you first log in you in a cockpit mode and have to change to analysis or combat but the first cockpit view can not be returned to unless you log out and in again. Why can't it start with analysis mode or combat mode why the extra step. unless I am missing a way to turn it off?

You start in combat mode. If you try and use the FSS when you first log in it will say "switch mode". There are only two modes, combat and analysis.

I did a clear save the other day and did not see this issue. I could change from combat to analysis mode with no problems and I obviously did as I took the welcome mission and switched to analysis mode after launch.

I see no problem at all. F1 means fss mode, F2 takes me back, F3 means combat or analysis mode. Even a blind person can find those keys. Yeah, even peeps with diving masks on their face. :)

What are you talking about? Of course you can switch between modes without logging out. I suggest you check your bindings.

Ok so I did not realize that the mode it was starting with was combat mode until varonica and Pippo said it. Its not the mode I usually start with. Thanks for the education. I learn something new every day in this game. If I say something that is stupid to others whether right or wrong it helps me learn.

Not to hijack the thread but the layout in general for first time keyboard users is also broken and in this category. Who thought making the mouse x-axis roll your ship was a good default setting? (its not). The first thing I do with friends trying to get into the game is set up some default mouse settings for them:

• mouse x-axis yaws the ship
  • Q/E keys for roll
  • A/D keys for left-right thrust
  • C key for 'center mouse' so it stops doing anything.

.................. Who thought making the mouse x-axis roll your ship was a good default setting? (its not). The first thing I do with friends trying to get into the game is set up some default mouse settings for them:

• mouse x-axis yaws the ship

Your friends must get a bit annoyed with you then. (Or do you just want to be able to defeat them in combat really easily? :sneaky: ) Yaw in the ships has the slowest rate and that is why roll and pitch is quickest movement to change direction and therefore why it is the default.

Hmm.. interesting, I didn't know the reason for it.. good to know and thanks for the logic in it.

Not sure 'faster' is exactly what a new pilot needs though (and try to use the default controls with a touchpad - its very difficult). I know a mousepad is not not the ideal control method, but shouldn't the mouse controls be set for lowest common denominator/ easiest to use, and then let your more experienced players adjust according when they get past the basics?

Yaw is crippled on most ships to reinforce a vaguely airplane-like forward-flight model. Pitch and roll are rightly the main rotational axes in the controls.
Thing is, the defaults are barely playable for many people. Having roll on the X mouse axis is very counter intuitive. I remember when I first heard about that key binding in a thread back in 2014 and everyone was like 'wow, the game just became much easier to handle'.
It's possible that you adapted to the default settings and therefore find it easier. For newcomers binding roll to Q and E has turned out to be way better though, that's the idea I get from reading countless reports and my own experience.

Hmm.. interesting, I didn't know the reason for it.. good to know and thanks for the logic in it.

Not sure 'faster' is exactly what a new pilot needs though (and try to use the default controls with a touchpad - its very difficult). I know a mousepad is not not the ideal control method, but shouldn't the mouse controls be set for lowest common denominator/ easiest to use, and then let your more experienced players adjust according when they get past the basics?
The default settings aren't any faster than your proposal. Some people are just used to it after playing the game for so many years.
Having roll on Q and E works like a charm.

Your friends must get a bit annoyed with you then. (Or do you just want to be able to defeat them in combat really easily? :sneaky: ) Yaw in the ships has the slowest rate and that is why roll and pitch is quickest movement to change direction and therefore why it is the default.
Pressing Q isn't any slower than moving your mouse to the left.

Pressing Q isn't any slower than moving your mouse to the left.

... unless one is using the non-mouse hand (got to cater for lefties) to drink coffee/beer, light a cig or pick your nose. ;)

The point is that you are separating your direction-control movements from one-handed to two, I would suspect that most people would prefer to control direction with one hand and use the other for speed and ship functions etc. However, of course that is an uneducated guess as I fly HOTAS. 🕹

Last edited:
Top Bottom