Counting grains of sand:(

OK, what do you think would be a fair price for let's say G5 Dirty Drive Thrusters? Would different modules warrant different prices at the same grade?

There is a thin line between making gathering materials tedious or just a nuisance. The former is bad because, well, it's tedious and the latter is bad because it could just be removed completely. Where is the point in materials when you can just buy them?
The sweet spot is where it's actually fun to gather materials and that seems to be the point where many people say it isn't.

Imagine if you'd spent that time grinding out the 1.3B doing something else, like mat gathering ...

(I don't have 1.3B, but I do have lots of mats, so I think of engineering more like a lovely field of flowers :) YMMV)

Elite 84 was all about making credits!
You have the credits just buy it:)
David B count all the grains of sand on Brighton Beach, before you can buy a Tesla S/MacLaren/Maybach/Rolls:)))
BB

Buy mats and fill your boots yeah! But the trader should live at least 10,000 ly away from the bubble - Question is - how much for the rarest mat? 2,000,000 ?

Yup, it is just credits. Not my time, I only Live so Long... 63 at the moment:)
David B is about the same age.
BB
OK, but your 1.3Bn would only buy a few G5 mods and you would have to go grind credits for more? If you can make the mythical 100 million per hour (every hour) mining void opals, then that is 5 hours credit grind per G5 mod. Is that really less than the equivalent material grind?

If mat gathering wasn't such a mind numbing, tedious waste of life and maybe you know, dare I say it ...fun, then I'd say no. However for me it's an utterly wretched experience that is a barrier to my enjoyment of the game, so I'm inclined to say yes.

Raw materials gathering is the most depressing of the three categories of mats for me. I don't mind the mechanics of collecting data and manufactured materials because there's several ways to get them. I am not a miner so the only way to gather raw mats is surface prospecting which I relearn to hate about 10 minutes in to scavenging a planet surface for selenium or chromium or heaven forbid any G5 raw mat.

Raw materials gathering is the most depressing of the three categories of mats for me. I don't mind the mechanics of collecting data and manufactured materials because there's several ways to get them. I am not a miner so the only way to gather raw mats is surface prospecting which I relearn to hate about 10 minutes in to scavenging a planet surface for selenium or chromium or heaven forbid any G5 raw mat.
Raw materials are pretty easy to get these days. Just find a planet with volcanism or biological signs, locate the POIs via probe-mapping the planet, land near POI, profit. Easy high-grade raw materials for everyone.

Elements are extremely easy, and reliable (bar selenium) to get now. So that's not grind at all, and can be rather fun, exploring various geological and biological sites. You can even visit some pure G4 element sites, roughly 1600ly from Sol, and fill up all your G4's(bar selenium), and trade down for loads of other elements.

Manufactured, is a bit tougher, but taking a decent ship, loaded with some collection limpets to various places, such as Res sites, Conflict Zones, nav beacons, and USSs can basically fill up all your G1-4s with very little in the way of grind. Only a few G5s requires unreliable HGE hopping, or mission rewards.
You can go to any anarchy system and just murder endless NPC's of all kinds for their materials, it's mildly therapeutic. Lol

Encoded I find quite awkward. I've never gotten around to finding out how to actually find what I'm looking for, so I usually look for G5 stuff and trade it down. I usually just go to the Jameson crash site and relog like a mad man.

Yup, it is just credits. Not my time, I only Live so Long... 63 at the moment:)
David B is about the same age.
BB
I haven't done it for a while (I have about 14 fully engineered ships), but previously I could gather the mats for G5 Thrusters more quickly than I could earn 500 million (and I could earn that fairly quickly, even before Void Opals). Have things changed fundamentally recently?

For encoded materials there is ship and wake scanning, scanning data points on planetary buildings like during planetary scan missions, doing settlement runs and hacking installations. Plus mission rewards.

Imagine if you'd spent that time grinding out the 1.3B doing something else, like mat gathering ...

(I don't have 1.3B, but I do have lots of mats, so I think of engineering more like a lovely field of flowers :) YMMV)
1.3b is done in about 10 hour in mining VOpals.
10 hours core mining equals watching 6-7 movies, where you are entertained by the movies.
10 hours of mat gathering equals to wanting to shoot myself 20 times over as that is just tedious and a massive pain in the...

Top Bottom