CQC CQC Contests - What is wrong about it

Firstly, well done FD it is fun! However...
(please do NOT add any arguments or pros here in this thread - thank you)
1. Getting 8 players to get a game started is almost impossible whilst players join and others leave yet the game can not even start.
2. This draws you away from Team Deathmatch & Capture the Flag and you may get into Deathmatch that you are in fact better quitting waiting as you can more easily be added to another game. Once in, you are locked in for definite for on going games which is not the case for the other modes.
3. The Ship Selection in both Lobby and Game are not directly linked to the Loadout. This makes it very clunky in/out that menu. Select that ship. In/out Loadout. It is not intelligently configured.
4. The in game setting up of your ship is ridiculous. 5secs to setup your Module Power Management and Weapon Groups. However, you do learn that using any of this is trivial...I suggest FD make it more important and setup in the Lobby.
5. Any efforts to use Power Balancing are hit on the head mostly as in Close Quarters Combat, sadly the game revolves about how many kills you make and no rewards for making your ship last by evasive tactics and Module Management. It fast becomes clear you should use your ship to ram often when in a lance.
6. The target selection is just silly and needn't be. There is no reason not to use the Select Next Target & Select Nearest Hostile. This part is very annoying and ruins my huge enjoyment!
7. Mics are not working in the other 2 modes mentioned prior. I understand why there's no mics in Deathmatch.
8. The Sidewinders speed is laughable! You exaggerated all the other ships and nurfed this. It's not worth flying imo.
9. Needs COOP game mode against AI and possibly remove 4v4 if players do not wait long enough for a game to get started.
10. How's about our Paint Jobs for example?
Go on and please only add feedback to help make it much better please...

(if you're against this thread then look at creating your own)

Last edited:
No arguments or pro's? You realize this is a forum right? If you want one way communications send them an email. Expecting no one to disagree with you or thinking they have no right to is pretty unreasonable and kinda arrogant really. That said, I also pretty much disagree with everything you posted. :) I kinda relate to #6 as targeting is kinda clunky. I like the line of sight targeting that they've implemented however I think the FOV cone needs to be widened a bit. Visually seeing them should be enough, they shouldn't have to be in the center of your hud and it shouldn't take 2 clicks to acquire a target. Having a VR headset would be a big advantage in cqc the way things are now. That and get rid of targeting pointless objects. I have no need to target friendlies or deployed heatsinks and doubt that much anyone else does either.

Dude, the thread is to be constructive so doesn't require any non-sense but thanks for your added cons. The rest was not wanted on this thread and yes it is a forum but too many bomb contructive ideas for DEVS to read. Arguments and Pros on this make it harder to see this 1 side. You can create your own if you so wish. Cheers.
(besides, it is Forum Rules to post within the Thread Topic Title: -
"CQC Contests - What is wrong about it" - Pro's is off topic and therefore ruled out.

Last edited:
Idea's are only constructive if they are valid. If other's disagree then it's a challenge to the idea's validity. Multiple perspectives and opinions are a good thing.
Oh, and you provided very little that was actually constructive to begin with. Just complaints void of any potential solutions. Sorry, don't mean to give you a hard time really, you're just expressing your opinions. A right that every one else shares.

Last edited:
Dude, the thread is to be constructive so doesn't require any non-sense but thanks for your added cons. The rest was not wanted on this thread and yes it is a forum but too many bomb contructive ideas for DEVS to read. Arguments and Pros on this make it harder to see this 1 side. You can create your own if you so wish. Cheers.
(besides, it is Forum Rules to post within the Thread Topic Title: -
"CQC Contests - What is wrong about it" - Pro's is off topic and therefore ruled out.

Disagreement over a comment is not off topic. "You keep saying this word but I do not think you know what it means."

I've only flown the Sidewinder a couple of times but I can say, when I encounter them in Capture The Flag, that it's a quite ghastly experience (for me) as they take so very, very, long to kill. Making them faster would probably render them a bit overpowered in CTF. A Sidewinder with a wingman is my worst nightmare in the game just now actually. Sometimes I feel when playing against a squad in TDM that one of them baits opponents in a really tanky Sidie whilst his pals pick us off. I'm beginning to avoid engaging them unless absolutely necessary. :( By that I mean, I get tunnel vision and refuse to disengage while his mate slaughters me before I've even got his shields down. I'm rubbish.

edit: Sorry. Just realised I'm not allowed to argue or... agree? Man. I can't do anything right these days. :(

Last edited:
I've only flown the Sidewinder a couple of times but I can say, when I encounter them in Capture The Flag, that it's a quite ghastly experience (for me) as they take so very, very, long to kill. Making them faster would probably render them a bit overpowered in CTF. A Sidewinder with a wingman is my worst nightmare in the game just now actually. Sometimes I feel when playing against a squad in TDM that one of them baits opponents in a really tanky Sidie whilst his pals pick us off. I'm beginning to avoid engaging them unless absolutely necessary. :( By that I mean, I get tunnel vision and refuse to disengage while his mate slaughters me before I've even got his shields down. I'm rubbish.

edit: Sorry. Just realised I'm not allowed to argue or... agree? Man. I can't do anything right these days. :(

Agree about the sidewinder. It can be VERY hard to kill. If I see that square shape pop up on my target holo I usually just disengage and look for a condor to kill. If it could turn to keep track of condors it would be ridiculous.

The Sidewinder's are also much harder to kill in the game. The Vulture is almost a sitting duck against these. The data can not be correct as it once was pleasure. Now it is becoming more like kill 1, dock and cash in, else you could lose all those bounties plus pay out for a new ship.

At the risk of provoking the ire of x-terminator, the weapon powerup lets you take down sidewinders pretty quickly. Then again, I suppose you could call that "something wrong". It's all subjective though, isn't it?

Could you please explain to me why you would need to mess with module power management in CQC?
Sure, if it's there and not made unavailable then we should be able to "manage" it for far better tactical play rather than leave them alone as they are and not even need to notice them. Some players are saying they even find leaving the Balanced Powers Pips as they are or set them to always 4 pips to Systems. It does not help to create more interesting play if there really is no major gain. You are actually better off crashing a ship instead of waiting for Shields to come online as there is totally no gain in making your ship last longer. It's time better spent in a new ship killing enemies.

- - - Updated - - -

At the risk of provoking the ire of x-terminator, the weapon powerup lets you take down sidewinders pretty quickly. Then again, I suppose you could call that "something wrong". It's all subjective though, isn't it?
If a Vulture in the Main Game is finding it hard to take out a Sidewinder by using a E3 Turret Burst Laser & C3 Gimbled Beam plus Heatsinks to prevent overheating then yes there's "something wrong".

Last edited:
Out of interest: has anyone bothered to target a ship's subsystems at all? I notice it comes up on a loading screen that that is what the pro gamers do. Surely not?

Sure, if it's there and not made unavailable then we should be able to "manage" it for far better tactical play rather than leave them alone as they are and not even need to notice them. Some players are saying they even find leaving the Balanced Powers Pips as they are or set them to always 4 pips to Systems. It does not help to create more interesting play if there really is no major gain. You are actually better off crashing a ship instead of waiting for Shields to come online as there is totally no gain in making your ship last longer. It's time better spent in a new ship killing enemies.

- - - Updated - - -

If a Vulture in the Main Game is finding it hard to take out a Sidewinder then yes there's "something wrong".

Okay, nevermind then. I misunderstood you, thinking you were talking about module priority in the right panel. As for pips, proper management works for me, and has gotten me out of a quick death many times, but that isn't what this thread is about.

Okay, nevermind then. I misunderstood you, thinking you were talking about module priority in the right panel. As for pips, proper management works for me, and has gotten me out of a quick death many times, but that isn't what this thread is about.

I was talking about Module Priorty (Power Module Management) as I use in the Main Game to get 140% used when it is required. The Pips were about how players are lazy to not even bother much in changing those even. This thread is about all that is wrong in Contest and separates from the main game as we know it.

- - - Updated - - -

Out of interest: has anyone bothered to target a ship's subsystems at all? I notice it comes up on a loading screen that that is what the pro gamers do. Surely not?
We can not target SubSystems in Contests. It should really be the exact same Targetting System as in the Main Game IMO.

Last edited:
We can not target SubSystems in Contests. It should really be the exact same Targetting System as in the Main Game IMO.

That's weird as it comes up on (or used to) as a tip on one of the loading screens. "The best pilots will target subsystems... blah blah" something like that. Anyone else seen that?

It's virtually useless. But then I dusted off my voice attack and it becomes useful against the bigger ships when you have enough time (i.e lots of open space and a gap to close). I have macros for the condors drives, the eagle's and sidey's PP and distributors. It's a bit cheap, but if they want that mechanic in there then they need to enable the cycle subsystem keys because navigating a menu isn't a good idea in the middle of a fight.

I agree with the OP in points 3 - 8 but in my opinion CQC is a complete waste of time anyway...all they have done is tagged a crappy 'COD in spaceships' mini game onto the main game to entice more console players to buy ED. There's no skill involved, the winner is normally the one who can spot other players first - normally attacking players already involved in a dogfight and take them out whilst in a weakened state, or waiting for other players to do all the work and then swooping in for a kill steal. Whilst I have attained rank 20 in a couple sessions it has quickly lost what limited novelty appeal it had.

The bit that irritates the hell out of me though is having the CQC rank sat in the right display panel along with your rankings for the main game...take it out! It doesn't belong in there, CQC hasn't been made part of the main game - some players may never play CQC so it's a bit galling having a bright red rank status saying your "Helpless"...charming I must say. :(

It's virtually useless. But then I dusted off my voice attack and it becomes useful against the bigger ships when you have enough time (i.e lots of open space and a gap to close). I have macros for the condors drives, the eagle's and sidey's PP and distributors. It's a bit cheap, but if they want that mechanic in there then they need to enable the cycle subsystem keys because navigating a menu isn't a good idea in the middle of a fight.

I honestly couldn't believe it was coming up as a "tip". The time it would take me to get into my left menu, over a few tabs, scroll down... That's how long it takes to kill or die. Maybe with voice attack but.... I'm not sure they should be touting that as a "pro" tip.

I've brought it up a couple of times both here and in the livestreams, but had no response:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=179116&page=2
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=179326

There are only two tabs available in CQC on the left panel and they, helpfully, reset after use which makes voice attack easier to implement than the main game where you need to track a variable for panel position and conditionals for selecting the correct menu.

If it helps, here's an example:

eagle VA.png

There's no skill involved, the winner is normally the one who can spot other players first

That is not true, not only is there skill involved in not letting a player see you first, there is also a thing called dog fighting. Dog fighting aka being able to actually pilot your ship. If some one attacks me first and they are terrible dog fighters I'll be putting them up in my kills score pretty quickly.

Top Bottom