Newcomer / Intro CQC is a good way to earn credits for new players

If you are new to Elite Dangerous, you will find yourself in a sidewinder without the necessary credits to upgrade to a better ship.

A fun way to get the credits to purchase a better ship while developing fighter skills is to head on over to close quarters combat and work your way up through the first prestige.

Here are the reasons you might go this route:

1) It's fun
2) Your fighting skills will be developed - that will help with main game
3) You always earn some credits, no matter how much of a nube you are, and you never lose credits (no insurance in CQC)
4) Earning credits in the beginner ship in the main game is slow and a grind - might as well earn credits in CQC which is slow but fun
5) You will earn over a million credits by the time you reach prestige one in CQC - getting prestige one entitles you to travel to the CQC homeworld in the main game to purchase and outfit a better ship - with discounts

Now that you have a better ship in the main game, you can earn way more credits per hour in main than in CQC. At this point only head back to CQC for fun, or to work toward your CQC Elite badge.

Are you sure?
last time i play CQC i earned 100k credits from hours of game-play, even when i was in top 3.
Earning fighting skills in CQC does not prepare you to main game, different ships, modules, guns, location, no engineered parts, non NPC enemies ... maybe you can possibly learn pip management,

running around in free re-buy sidewinder and learning how game works look like better solution

Last edited:
I appreciate the initiative to urge more players into CQC but there is no need to lie to them:)

I suppose it is risk free money and when you only have 1000cr then it might be useful but not ground-breaking. I have maybe 10 hours or so in CQC and have only earnt maybe 100K (Not sure how many of those hours were in queues waiting for enough players to join).

It is fun and more players should join in but earnings are nothing what so ever in game terms. Wanna fly a fighter and often get booted from the session for no reason, do multicrew, same thing/more money.

Last edited:
Didn't say best way, said good way :)

I appreciate the initiative to urge more players into CQC but there is no need to lie to them:)

I suppose it is risk free money and when you only have 1000cr then it might be useful but not ground-breaking. I have maybe 10 hours or so in CQC and have only earnt maybe 100K (Not sure how many of those hours were in queues waiting for enough players to join).

It is fun and more players should join in but earnings are nothing what so ever in game terms. Wanna fly a fighter and often get booted from the session for no reason, do multicrew, same thing/more money.

Not saying it is the best way for a new player to get started, just that it is a good, fun way to get the funds to get out of a starter ship.

More fun, at least for me, than riding around in main game with a sidey with no cargo space . . .

CQC is a lot of fun, and a great way to sharpen your hand flying skills, not a great way to make money. Wing trade missions roll out next Tuesday, I could accept a 15 million credit mission in my T9, then invite a new guy to fly along with me carrying 2 tonnes, the new guy makes 15 million credits.

I don't think making money is going to be an issue for new cmdrs. But money can't buy you experience.

Not saying it is the best way for a new player to get started, just that it is a good, fun way to get the funds to get out of a starter ship.

More fun, at least for me, than riding around in main game with a sidey with no cargo space . . .

Sorry, I was only messing with ya... hence the smiley face emoji.

CQC is a good mode, few annoying bugs but mostly just let down by lack of a consistent playerbase. I just like to poke FDev to buff the earnings every now and again but it's hardly a high priority of things that need fixing in game. Probably should be grateful we get earnings at all, I mean lore wise it's actually just an arcade game right?

Good lord - scraping the barrel aren't we - trying to drum up CQC participants.

Newbies - don't be fooled, if you ever get a match it isn't going to give you money in any great amount. The "Arena" is a busted flush, not worth the effort.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Good lord - scraping the barrel aren't we - trying to drum up CQC participants.

Newbies - don't be fooled, if you ever get a match it isn't going to give you money in any great amount. The "Arena" is a busted flush, not worth the effort.

:rolleyes:

fake news

You can't trust this person, just look at their avatar. Are they a child, salty sailor, younger salty sailor, OMG modern day in colour person. Time-travel, witchcraft, burn him/her/apache.

I surrender!

fake news

You can't trust this person, just look at their avatar. Are they a child, salty sailor, younger salty sailor, OMG modern day in colour person. Time-travel, witchcraft, burn him/her/apache.

I surrender - Yes - there are better, faster ways to get out of that first sidey - however, all u nubes, CQC is a FUN way to get that first mil u need to move on up and out!

Just one more reason to play cqc.

(And I confess - I am an unabashed promoter of CQC.)

I surrender - Yes - there are better, faster ways to get out of that first sidey - however, all u nubes, CQC is a FUN way to get that first mil u need to move on up and out!

Just one more reason to play cqc.

What, why am I quoted. Again, a joke aimed at Para Handy.

I too am a promoter of CQC hence my thread earlier today: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/408085-XBox-CQC-night-Tue-20-Feb-2100UTC-onwards

If you are new to Elite Dangerous, you will find yourself in a sidewinder without the necessary credits to upgrade to a better ship.

A fun way to get the credits to purchase a better ship while developing fighter skills is to head on over to close quarters combat and work your way up through the first prestige.

Here are the reasons you might go this route:

1) It's fun
2) Your fighting skills will be developed - that will help with main game
3) You always earn some credits, no matter how much of a nube you are, and you never lose credits (no insurance in CQC)
4) Earning credits in the beginner ship in the main game is slow and a grind - might as well earn credits in CQC which is slow but fun
5) You will earn over a million credits by the time you reach prestige one in CQC - getting prestige one entitles you to travel to the CQC homeworld in the main game to purchase and outfit a better ship - with discounts

Now that you have a better ship in the main game, you can earn way more credits per hour in main than in CQC. At this point only head back to CQC for fun, or to work toward your CQC Elite badge.

Are you a new player?

What, why am I quoted. Again, a joke aimed at Para Handy.

I too am a promoter of CQC .............

So you should both be prosecuted for grooming - trying to lure poor unsuspecting newcomers into the lonely abandoned structures, festooned with space-cobwebs and with interstellar tumbleweed clogging the power-up corridors....

Seriously though, it is a bit disingenuous to suggest newcomers can use CQC / Arena for progression - you know the waits for matches can be interminable, the rewards are minimal and the ships and weapons are nothing like those in game. Drumming up people to give you content is all well and good, but don't mislead new players, it is certainly not a "good way to earn credits" so the thread title needs editing.

Last edited:
You can go straight to a high RES and earn a million in your first hour. That's also a bit of pew pew fun.

Top Bottom