CQC CQC, Mode which is twitch based, no powerups.

Please can we get a mode that is about skill, and not who gets to the powerups first?

Seems a little bit weird that a twitch based game gets "powerups".

Personally I feel it takes something out of the experience having players who fly round in a loop, grabbing the powerups and only attack when they have them. Or just sit on them constantly.

Why ruin a skill based game with gimmicky poop?

ta, o7

Powerups add structure to the game, and an element of strategy, in theory. It prevents players from just staying in one spot for the length of a game, which is exactly what happens in games with mostly new players. Experienced players start this powerup chasing game, and its gimmicky sometimes, but works in larger games. I would guess they even designed sidewinders to sit next to powerups, in team deathmatches anyway, which of course doesn't happen. I would try shuffling powerups, that could make situational awareness bigger factor than memorizing fields. It wouldn't even change anything really. Or maybe not, I don't know, throw a few thargoids in there or something.

I don't like those silly magic circles either. They're just a bit too arcade-ish for my taste, even SF tech shouldn't stretch suspension-of-disbelief quite so much. Also, the damage and stealth ones seem particularly OP to me. Using them gives such an advantage, I sometimes feel like it makes me choose between wanting to win and wanting to get some satisfaction out of my efforts.

They're not so bad in a full match with only experienced players - picking up damage is likely to get you focused and killed, while stealth has enough counters to be manageable (in TDM/CTF it's much more of a defensive powerup than an offensive one, as firing reveals you to the entire opposing team). I've won a fair number of top-level deathmatches without picking up weapons once ... and there are much better players than me who can do that consistently.

Where they don't work at all is in mixed-ability matches or matches with only a few players, where they just magnify any existing skill differences, and you have to pick them up if nothing else so that your opponents can't.

They could use some tweaking, but overall they add more than they take away. Managing the powerups is also a skill, and adds a tactical layer.

There's a reason nearly every "Deathmatch" game since the dawn of time has them.

Top Bottom