CQC tournament update

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
Hello everyone,

At the end of last year we announced we’d be running a CQC tournament in 2016.

In order to run the tournament we wanted to bring in a number of specific features which would allow us to run the event in the way we had planned. However, as you may remember the 2.1 update required a little longer in development as we focused on game improving features that went through the core game play experience and brought our largest Elite Dangerous update to date.

What that means is that we won’t able to run the CQC tournament as we had initially conceived. We will be having a contest with a prize fund at a future date.

For those of you who were excited for a CQC tournament this year, I’m delighted to say that we won’t be leaving you disappointed. We’re very glad to be able to confirm that we will be launching our first ever in game PVP tournament, The Icarus Cup.

This wing vs wing tournament is a place for the Galaxy’s best to prove themselves in a strategically selected and balanced team of medium and small ships. Players will need to assemble themselves into squads of 8 (4 Commanders per match and 4 reserves) so start forming your squads now, ready for when registration opens. The tournament will be open to both Xbox One and PC/Mac players and we will be running two separate tournaments with two separate prizes.

The winners will not only be crowned the most skilled group of PVP pilots in the Galaxy but they will also walk away with an extremely exclusive Icarus Cup Decal and dashboard trophy, which is due to arrive with our 2.3 update.

Take a look at some concepts of the prizes being worked on, remember these are only concepts and could well change, but I’m sure you’ll agree they are truly beautiful. More news on the final rules, structure and how to register will be published in the coming weeks.

Decal.PNG

Trophy.PNG

Last edited:
Whilst I have no issue with this at all and always felt $100,000 prize money in this tournament was a waste of dev money (that is possibly 2 art guys working on new stuff for a year money) I do hope this is not a portent of FD running out of cash

Last edited:

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
Whilst I have no issue with this at all and always felt $100,000 in a game was a waste of dev money (that is possibly 2 art guys working on new stuff for a year money) I do hope this is not a portent of FD running out of cash

You'll be pleased to know this isn't linked to cash flow at all. There was a public statement released yesterday in fact which I'm sure is still available on Reddit which highlights the healhy details. ;)

Whilst I have no issue with this at all and always felt $100,000 prize money in this tournament was a waste of dev money (that is possibly 2 art guys working on new stuff for a year money) I do hope this is not a portent of FD running out of cash

It was never 100,000 in prize money, it was a poorly worded statement that was never corrected. The cost of putting the comp together was 100,000 inclusive of the prizes. So yes that did mean all the hirings of stuff, running cost, etc etc. But that aside, an in game competition is by far the best idea I've saw Frontier come up with.

Thanks, it's pretty exciting. We've got a lot more details to come but we're hoping this will make for some very interesting streams. :)

You see it's very much this, and the various other things that the community do, like Elite Racers, Destruction Darby etc should have an in game way of setting up and joining or viewing. I'm sure more people would engage in them if they knew they could, if they knew more about them etc in game. :D

Hello everyone,

At the end of last year we announced we’d be running a CQC tournament in 2016.

In order to run the tournament we wanted to bring in a number of specific features which would allow us to run the event in the way we had planned. However, as you may remember the 2.1 update required a little longer in development as we focused on game improving features that went through the core game play experience and brought our largest Elite Dangerous update to date.

What that means is that we weren't able to run the tournament as we had initially conceived so we will be postponing plans on this tournament until a future date.

For those of you who were excited for a CQC tournament this year, I’m delighted to say that we won’t be leaving you disappointed. We’re very glad to be able to confirm that we will be launching our first ever in game PVP tournament, The Icarus Cup.

This wing vs wing tournament is a place for the Galaxy’s best to prove themselves in a strategically selected and balanced team of medium and small ships. Players will need to assemble themselves into squads of 8 (4 Commanders per match and 4 reserves) so start forming your squads now, ready for when registration opens. The tournament will be open to both Xbox One and PC/Mac players and we will be running two separate tournaments with two separate prizes.

The winners will not only be crowned the most skilled group of PVP pilots in the Galaxy but they will also walk away with an extremely exclusive Icarus Cup Decal and dashboard trophy, which is due to arrive with our 2.3 update.

Take a look at some concepts of the prizes being worked on, remember these are only concepts and could well change, but I’m sure you’ll agree they are truly beautiful. More news on the final rules, structure and how to register will be published in the coming weeks.

View attachment 111243

View attachment 111244

I'm sorry to break it to you with some bad news but this amateur in-game tournament sketched in a nakpkin in the last couple hours doesn't quite sweep under the carpet the $100.000 prize marketing trick you ran on your community to attract more people into buying your product, nor does it stop me from me from fully pursuing by all means available and necessary compensation for the damages inflicted to me and other players victim to this scam.

If you think news coverage of this event is the my last resort you better think again cause those $100.000 are not going to come cheap to you.

Last edited:

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
I'm sorry to break it to you with some bad news but this amateur in-game tournament sketched in a nakpkin in the last couple hours doesn't quite sweep under the carpet the $100.000 marketing trick you ran on your community to attract more players to it, nor does it stop me from me from fully pursuing by all means available and necessary compensation for the damages inflicted to me and other players victim to this scam.

If you think news coverage of this event is the my last resort you better think again cause those $100.000 are not going to come cheap to you.

Heya,

First of all I'm sorry for the delay. I can assure you this isn't some quickly sketched out PVP tournament. We have had focus groups with players who run PVP leagues and we have managed to create points systems for the ship roster, rules and much more for the matches. That and the fact that we have a concept and logo for the tournament shows this has been something we have been planning for a little while now.

The tournament certainly wasn't a marketing stunt. We would love to run the tournament and very hopeful to do so at some point in the future.

In terms of complaints, if you wish to discuss the issues regarding the CQC tournament then feel free to contact our support team directly.

Thanks, it's pretty exciting. We've got a lot more details to come but we're hoping this will make for some very interesting streams. :)

Would love it if you could in some way edit footage together from multiple people in game so you can have like a splitscreen stream watching everyones view of the battle at once... Not sure if technically and networkable but would be cool.

Would love it if you could in some way edit footage together from multiple people in game so you can have like a splitscreen stream watching everyones view of the battle at once... Not sure if technically and networkable but would be cool.

Yeah - we're definitely going to try to make this a reality :)

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
*Mod hat off

In order to run the tournament we wanted to bring in a number of specific features which would allow us to run the event in the way we had planned.

Zac,

Do you mean actual in game new mechanics and features specific to CQC?

If yes, can you highlight some?

Last edited:
I'm sorry to break it to you with some bad news but this amateur in-game tournament sketched in a nakpkin in the last couple hours doesn't quite sweep under the carpet the $100.000 prize marketing trick you ran on your community to attract more people into buying your product, nor does it stop me from me from fully pursuing by all means available and necessary compensation for the damages inflicted to me and other players victim to this scam.

Well you sort of threatened them with bad press, they had to come up with something quickly. :D

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Phil Coutts and myself are looking forward to being totally humiliated with our poor PVP skilz :D

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier

What we would like to do (not sure it will work) is have a couple of angles to flip between and have some community guest commentators of some kind too. But first things first, we get the rules out and then open for registration and then we can see how many teams would like to take part.

Top Bottom