Crime and Punishment - Death Sentence

👹 So, crime and punishment was given an overhaul a short while ago...

Yesterday, while playing the game, I murdered an NPC and became wanted in a certain system and gained 1 notoriety for a short while. I was fined 5100 CREDITS. You could say I got off lightly.

Strangely, having cleared my bounty and lost my notoriety - occasionally having docked anonymously - I had a bit of trouble parking a large ship. The station began a countdown, and I had to swiftly clear the area or be blasted into oblivion. Also, on a few occasions I heard some chap in the station stating that blocking the entrance to the station would result in death. The point? It strikes me as a little odd that I can commit a crime - said to be murder - and get a measly fine, 1 notoriety and anonymous access for a couple of hours in a certain jurisdiction (perhaps bounty hunted - so some minor risk of death...); whereas, block a landing pad, loiter about inside the station or block access to the station and the death sentence is immediately carried out. It seems a little imbalanced, don't you think? 😈

I'm surprised at the two replies. Apparently, a fine of 5100 is OK for murder - the name of the game... - but getting blasted for blocking the station in some way is worthy of instant retribution... hmm. I suppose it is a quick an efficient way in which to clear the docking port... even if it is a little extreme.

I'm surprised at the two replies. Apparently, a fine of 5100 is OK for murder - the name of the game... - but getting blasted for blocking the station in some way is worthy of instant retribution... hmm. I suppose it is a quick an efficient way in which to clear the docking port... even if it is a little extreme.
The 5100 is game play. The station death is to clear the station. They don't sentence you to die. If you can leave, you're welcome to do so. Commit a 5100 Cr crime around authorities, same result. In fact, have 1 stolen item in your ship. Just one, and get scanned entering a station.

So the clearing of the station is necessary to prevent a clog of traffic, and the station's emplacements have to be god-like to enable continued access by other players. Your murder crime though only affects that one player you murdered. Stll, if you murder inside the station, same death penalty.

It is called lazy game design. Instead of making a station tractor beam which parks your ship forcedly for a huge amount of credits, to avoid a possible exploit of easy dockings, they have made Loitering is a crime, punishable by death.

Try landing a little plane at a major airport without tower clearance and see how little a crime it is!

The point being, killing one person is a small crime compared to blocking the station entrance, causing a major accident that maybe ruptures a ship reactor and killing tens of thousands of people by destroying half the station. Ok our stations are indestructible but it's the principal behind it that counts, if this was real situation blocking the station entrance with a big ship would be a major, major crime akin to a mass terrorist attack, so the punishment is designed to fit the potential damage.

The fact it is all a sim and causes no actual damage is beside the point.

Try landing a little plane at a major airport without tower clearance and see how little a crime it is!

The point being, killing one person is a small crime compared to blocking the station entrance, causing a major accident that maybe ruptures a ship reactor and killing tens of thousands of people by destroying half the station. Ok our stations are indestructible but it's the principal behind it that counts, if this was real situation blocking the station entrance with a big ship would be a major, major crime akin to a mass terrorist attack, so the punishment is designed to fit the potential damage.

The fact it is all a sim and causes no actual damage is beside the point.
🧐

I doubt you'd get blown up in 10 seconds or less.:unsure:
Sure, but everything is sped up in Elite Dangerous for the purposes of gameplay.

An Election in Elite Dangerous lasts 4-7 days for the entire campaign and voting ... times in the real world vary depending on country but are generally between 6 weeks and a year.
A War for control of a multi-billion population system likewise lasts 4-7 days ... WW2 lasted 6 years.
Trade ships take maybe 15 minutes to travel from A to B, for which they can be paid several times the value of the goods

Likewise making other people wait 30 minutes while your loitering is resolved would be a more reasonable timescale but not good gameplay.

While the penalties for murder are certainly rather soft and inconsequential, the whole setting seems to be going out of it's way to emphasize that non-Pilots Federation members are second class citizens.

As for pad blocking, it's not retribution, they are simply removing a threat to station security and commerce.

No, not really.

One is a sentence for an offense already committed. The other is the degree of force applied to resolve a crime in progress.
That doesn’t preclude more impactful consequences for premeditated murder. The degree of force should also be proportional to the crime, and if loitering in progress can be dealt with that severely, then greater consequences for an already committed murder can easily be justified.

So, yes it is imbalanced in my opinion. I’ve previously suggested a system of crime and penance, where existing gameplay mechanics are leveraged to force players to work off their crimes if they want to be able to dock in any non-anarchy systems without being blasted, which can be justified if the same applies for loitering.

That doesn’t preclude more impactful consequences for premeditated murder.
I agree.

I'm all for more varied and generally harsher penalties for crimes.

The degree of force should also be proportional to the crime, and if loitering in progress can be dealt with that severely, then greater consequences for an already committed murder can easily be justified.
'Loitering in progress' in this case is obstructing traffic while recklessly flying large and powerful spacecraft in the immediate vicinity of populated stations. It would rightly be considered a serious threat.

There is a need to deter murder, and a greater need to deter potential mass murder and enormous distruction of property, that's the proportionality here.

I agree.

I'm all for more varied and generally harsher penalties for crimes.

'Loitering in progress' in this case is obstructing traffic while recklessly flying large and powerful spacecraft in the immediate vicinity of populated stations. It would rightly be considered a serious threat.

There is a need to deter murder, and a greater need to deter potential mass murder and enormous distruction of property, that's the proportionality here.
I don’t disagree, but at the same time, there’s nothing to stop a pilot obstructing traffic, flying recklessly, or even deploying weapons and firing at will inside the station after they’ve been granted docking permission, so it’s difficult to justify the response to loitering, particularly in light of the comparative slap on the wrist for murder.

Top Bottom