CRISIS! In a park full of Dino's... where's the action?

I wanted to post this as I feel like this game has so so so much potential, but seeing the content of the latest patch I feel like the ongoing development of this game isn't heading in the right direction.

I understand that fleshing out the number of dinosaurs and allowing the players to engage more with the gorgeous graphical world is low hanging fruit, in a sense -- it's what the Frontier team is clearly already good at

Jurassic World Evolution has got all the pieces of a great game but I feel like the team hasn't really asked themselves, what about this game is fun? The underlying systems and mechanics that create thrilling moments are lacking -- whether it's in story or challenge mode, there really just isn't much drama. There isn't a great deal of peril, and for a game that sells itself on the backdrop of burning buildings and roaring dinosaurs its surprisingly dull when a dinosaur actually does break out. You send a chopper out to tranq it, a ranger to fix the fence, figure out what lead to the problem and... that's about it. Hardly Spielberg.

I think what the game is currently doing so well, is capturing the profound wonder and majesty of the dinosaurs, as well as the philosophical arguments about whether we should be doing all this in the first place, but we want to see the promise of Jeff Goldlums fear mongering play out. Jurassic Park is at its core is about crisis management, the message is always that nature cannot be contained, “Nature finds a way” -- it's a lesson in our hubris in thinking we can contain these creatures -- especially as I keep adding bigger and meaner dinosaurs i find myself constantly wondering when I'm going to see that house of cards topple down... yet that moment never really comes.

That's where I think the game isn't strong - we DON'T come to Jurassic World to wonder at the majesty of dinosaurs, we come for the action!

When I hit my stride playing this game i want it to feel like a pressure cooker ready to explode at any moment, instead the experience gets very placid. Its disappointing whenever i do get sabotaged, for example, because if I’m meeting all of my dinosaurs needs, when the power comes back on, my dinosaurs are all still just happily kicking around their enclosures -- sabotage should set me into a dreaded panic. Sabotage, or a power outage should, like in the source material, set off a chain reaction of events that leads to bigger and bigger problems that are harder (and more fun) to try and get under control.

The game is quite simply boring when everything is running well, and i find that even when I set the challenge up high, apart from having to wait around longer for cash to arrive, parks just hum along taking care of themselves, just needing me to babysit a few buttons.

Here are the key things;

Rangers and ACU helicopters are OP -- they can solve your problems too easily. Yet the mechanics of being able to fly and drive them offer so much potential. Hard to implement definitely, but rangers should be vulnerable to being eaten, jeeps should be able to take damage, break down, or be destroyed - and especially in driving mode be allowed to flip over and crash. This would add so much fun, do i dare drive fast to try and fix that broken fence before that dinosaur gets out and risk tipping over the car as i race over there?

Helicopters too feel fun to fly, yet seeing as they can elegantly clip through buildings without any problem, what's the fun? The thing about those helicopters is that they aren't at risk from the dinosaurs, but the potential of having them catch those power lines hanging through the air is such a cool potential mechanic -- you fly your helicopter to a crisis and end up chopping up a power line, maybe it sends your helicopter crashing into the ground, but more importantly you've just chopped the power connecting the other half of your park to the power plant - down go the electric fences and out come the raptors.

It's scenarios like this that should be encouraged to happen

Some work should be done to make normal fences, or downed electric fences an irresistible target for carnivores, whether their needs are being met or not - forcing us to use electric fences and causing huge problems for the player when the powers goes down, or when power gets in short supply.

I also think that 'switch to live ammunition' should be a button that both the ranger and the helicopter should be allowed to do. A dangerous last resort, but one that should be allowed to be made by the player, to kill the dinosaurs rather than letting them kill the guests. Instead of a rifle similar to the tranquilizers, a short range shotgun would mean that it would be a risky choice to switch to.

Furthermore, these elements could be enhanced by;

Bunkers having limited capacity, meaning I'm constantly running the risk of a Titanic situation -- where I just haven't got enough space to save everyone. Crisis gates would also be an easy implementation, allowing me to decide to sacrifice a small group of tourists to a roving T-rex, by sealing off the section of the park that he has broken out into.

Like many other simulation games I think there should also be a range of potential disasters. Much harder to implement from a development perspective, but the current storm is lackluster and repetitive and rarely leads to a fun domino effect. I should be facing down lava flows for example, like in the movies, imagine jets of flaming rock shooting from an off map volcano and landing in a carnivore's enclosure and starting a wildfire -- with a complimentary ranger danger mechanic -- sending a ranger in to put out the fire would be dangerous, as the carnivore could eat the rangers, yet if i leave the wild fire it might spread and burn down the fence setting an agitated carnivore free. See how this could be fun?

Another fun one would be when the power goes out, fog of war kicks in in that area, not knowing where the fence breach is in a crisis, would mean I'd have to fly or drive my vehicles around carefully, hunting out the dinosaurs who are also hunting me. Not being able to build fences or place new powerlines in these areas till say a 'crisis level' meter level drops below a certain point would also prevent the player from cheating their way out of a crisis. Dinosaurs need to be neutralized first before this type of quick fixing can be done.

Yes pursuing this would be a lot of work -- but look at how Paradox's Stellaris developed over it's patch cycle -- it's 2.0 release was a complete overhaul of key mechanics, placing the strategy and combat at the core of the game, which they'd been constantly criticized for and which wasn't strong in their 1.0 release.

I would so love to see a 2.0 patch for Jurassic World Evolution that didn't have any more dinosaurs added, but instead focused on what can be done with the existing assets to make the game around them the most fun of its kind.

Also moderators -- hear me out, I know you like to keep this part of the message boards for single item suggestions - but what I'm proposing are interlinked systems -- so rather than seeing this as a wishlist and moving it to the general discussion, see each of the suggested parts as interdependent - a single feature with separate moving parts to it.

This guy is absolutely spot on!!! The crisis chaos, domino effect should be something that is feared. Jeeps and choppers being damagable, rangers eaten, jeeps and chopper crashes damaging infrastructure should def be a thing. The volcano and wild fires should alsp be a thing. These are such great ideas!

Hmm... Jurassic World Evolution is a business simulator rather than something like Turok (2008) or Dino Crisis, and I'm not sure how any of this can be balanced gameplay in the game's current build because right now I'm not thinking "Wow, this is realistic and thrilling", I'm mentally shutting off because of the extra work you have to do to progress JWE and its contents you can or must earn. Plus, don't you think a volcanic eruption and wildfires are a bit too "unrealistic" for this kind of game and more "tedious" than the game already might be for some people? An earthquake event with minimal damage to buildings and fences would be a more reasonable option.

I've already had some in-game disaster problems that were tedious the first time when I ran my "progression" parks on Muerta, Pena and Sorna because of my choices. When I went back to Isla Pena to unlock the acrocanthosaurus, I was already in a difficult situation because of a twister storm I didn't prepare for (power outages to the only power station I have, broken structures, diseases happening at the same time and almost a dozen rampaging carnivores). May I even mention that it took me almost 2 hours to get everything under control from angry stegosaurus herds I've been trying to keep on Isla Sorna one time?

Last edited:
If you're used to the game the things you just talked about are easily fixed. You also have to think about sandbox mode... When you can build your perfect park... Once you've made it and moddified your dinosaurs even the largest storm presents no risk. But if you implemented the things from the op then all of a sudden things could go south quick. There arent any unknown variables. You can give your dinos a comfort level that keeps them happy into 50% or lower. Nothing really stresses the dinosaurs out, not even when they're sick. They just lay down and die. If they went into rampages during heatwaves or something... Or if the velociraptors slowly worked on escaping... That would be something.

Like Let's say a raptor would attack 1 section of a fence every 10 mins or so... If u saw a notfication saying a dino was attacking a fence it would take u a few secs to locate it and for the first few attacks the fence wouldnt show any damage.... After an hour so if u didn't pay attention a raptor could have worn out a fence section and escaped on you... Something like that giving the feeling of the dinosaurs being a real problem to contain.

Or even the earth quake idea... Splitting a fence causing escapes or something.

Been asking for destructible jeeps since the game launched. I spent counless hours dodging carnivores in JPOG. It was practically a game within a game, allowing you to explore what you've created with an element of risk.

Yeah the invincible jeeps have been a real bummer to this game. But even if they cant get past the "showing no damage" contract they have... There are work arounds.... So you cant animate a crushed jeep.. Ok. Why cant you still have a damage meter/bar like a health bar. Once you flip it over a time or two... The meter fills up and your jeep is dead in the water. Couldnt they they animate some smoke drifting up from the hood??? The jeep will still look undamaged but when the meter is full you get smoke... NOW once the jeep stops working how about the ranger HAVE to exit the vehicle. At that point if there are around dinosaurs they become like any other guest!!!!! They can be eaten or trampled. If the rangers die.... 200k for a new ranger team. If they dont die they walk back to the ranger station by defeault. Once they are back they stand in the vacant parking space... You airlift the jeep back to the station and once it lands you get the construction audio clip for 1 sec and then the jeep is ready to go again. Rangers climb back in. If rangers die air lift the jeep and hit sell... Lowers cost of new ranger team. They could do something like thar SURELY!!!

Hmmm, thoughts on this at the moment are..... would love to have destructible vehicles, but I feel we aren't going to get them? Just a hunch.

Though I'd add that being able simply task the ACU (yes I know it's a management game), makes resolving breakouts too easy. As an alternative, allow us to manually (not tasked!) tranquillise with the ranger jeep, but have the ACU darts be more powerful so its not made completely redundant. Or maybe only allow small/medium dinos to be tranquillsable by ranger, and larger dinos we have to do by heli? Not sure what option would work best, or maybe some combination of these ideas?

Hmmm, thoughts on this at the moment are..... would love to have destructible vehicles, but I feel we aren't going to get them? Just a hunch.

Though I'd add that being able simply task the ACU (yes I know it's a management game), makes resolving breakouts too easy. As an alternative, allow us to manually (not tasked!) tranquillise with the ranger jeep, but have the ACU darts be more powerful so its not made completely redundant. Or maybe only allow small/medium dinos to be tranquillsable by ranger, and larger dinos we have to do by heli? Not sure what option would work best, or maybe some combination of these ideas?

Love the idea of having to use the jeep for small/medium sized dinosaurs. It already fits because the AI heli already struggles to dart dinos... If you zoom in on the action the heli cant hit anything, i have to zoom way out or leave the area to get the the heli to tranq fast. It honestly makes sense. Having to get up close and personal with a jeep to tranq a velociraptor about to pounce on a guest would be really cool. Then a large dinosaurs should need a larger dart to tranq it so something fired from a chopper makes sense.

Speaking of... What happened to the spinoraptor not being tranqable? Why dont we have to have a special tranq upgrade researched to tranq them??

Thinking back on the novel Muldoon needed a rocket launcher type dart gun to tranq the Rex. How awesome would it be to have a laser guided rocket launcher tranq device to fire from a jeep?!?!?!?!!

I finally went and unlocked all the memo files since i had to do contracts for the carnivore pack anyway... I got an idea from it related to this thread about wanting more crisis or chaos in the game.

So the campaign mode really doesnt have any type of ending. No climatic event or anything. Sectets of dr wu was the closest thing to an ending.

In the memos Biosyn is mentioned as trying to reemerge recently. We already have the threats of sabotage from the divisions if they arent happy.... So why dont we get some type of disasterous ending scenario that can be triggered on our sandbox maps if we activate contracts or activate ending or something. In which case Lambert from security sells out to Biosyn! You would think Owen would be in charge of security anyway and they could put him in charge after the ending. So..... Lambert and Biosyn do an epic sabotage. Not isolated or only one thing targeted like in the campaign:

ALL gates are hacked open!
ALL or 75% of dinos are diseased
ALL power plants are cut off and sabotage and not even needing to be rebooted but some are damaged as well.
ALL Ranger stations damaged
ALL storm defense stations are damaged and offline
ALL dino trackers from the map are disabled. Or heck have the whole map disabled so if u click the button for it you only get a static screen

All of this happens at once! Perhaps also during a crazy storm as well. Requiring you to drive the jeeps yourself to start fixing things. I say have the heli disabled as well for several minutes. It would be a good way to give us Tranq abilities in the jeeps so we had to tranq with a jeep. No heli AI shortcuts. Or 2nd option! While the heli/acu is disabled and you can only control the jeeps.... How about dinos start being tranqed and transported off the island by blak biosyn choppers!! A complete raid on the place! Countless guest deaths resulting in major money penalties. Dinosaurs free and killing each other and if they did a biosyn raid many of your star dinosaurs stolen from your park!

I think that would be a good dramatic ending to the game or even a nice disaster scenario with out biosyn stealing dinos to keep you on your toes every once in a while.

Yeah the invincible jeeps have been a real bummer to this game. But even if they cant get past the "showing no damage" contract they have... There are work arounds.... So you cant animate a crushed jeep.. Ok. Why cant you still have a damage meter/bar like a health bar. Once you flip it over a time or two... The meter fills up and your jeep is dead in the water. Couldnt they they animate some smoke drifting up from the hood??? The jeep will still look undamaged but when the meter is full you get smoke... NOW once the jeep stops working how about the ranger HAVE to exit the vehicle. At that point if there are around dinosaurs they become like any other guest!!!!! They can be eaten or trampled. If the rangers die.... 200k for a new ranger team. If they dont die they walk back to the ranger station by defeault. Once they are back they stand in the vacant parking space... You airlift the jeep back to the station and once it lands you get the construction audio clip for 1 sec and then the jeep is ready to go again. Rangers climb back in. If rangers die air lift the jeep and hit sell... Lowers cost of new ranger team. They could do something like thar SURELY!!!

Interesting to hear about the 'no damage' contract they have with Jeep -- hadn't heard that before. Agreed about your suggested work arounds. Even implementing a system like having large carnivores being able to snatch and eat the driver or the shooter from above, or having small carnivores snatch and kill them from the sides - in a similar animation to how cops pull the player out of a car in grand theft auto - that would allow for the Jeeps to be neutralized without having to breach the terms of their contract around showing damage to the vehicles

Top Bottom