Crystalline Clusters Vanishing?

It really feels like a nerf. I get 2 then lose 2. Get 3 then lose 3. I finish the site about 12 mats short of a full load so I have to visit another site if I want to cap out. Since the piceous cobble doesn't seem to be affected, and every crystalline cluster seems to have about a 50/50 chance of disintegrating vs dropping a mat.

I've found that if I try to harvest them more than once every two to three weeks, some apparently are not ripe enough and simply in sense hang there after shooting them. Thus I now make a note of which patch I was harvesting, and avoid it for a month. There's plenty of other's to choose from, so it's not really an issue for me.

Yep, this is exactly what I've been seeing for years.

It's always the thin, single, crystal "spikes" at the top of an outcrop that vanish.

As I said, I always assumed it was intentional.
Be interested to see what happens with this support ticket.
If it IS a bug, FDev "owe me" g THOUSANDS of G5 mat's and meta-alloys.

If they have to grow back, that's fine. It's the 2nd time I've visited the system, so that could be the issue. It would make sense that I didn't take all of them last time, but I have zero idea how anyone could keep up with what they've harvested.

I think it's been at least 2 months since I've been there though.

If they have to grow back, that's fine. It's the 2nd time I've visited the system, so that could be the issue. It would make sense that I didn't take all of them last time, but I have zero idea how anyone could keep up with what they've harvested.

I think it's been at least 2 months since I've been there though.

It's definitely not that they're "growing back" because I've had it happen at previously undiscovered Bio' POIs out in the middle of nowhere, near Colonia.

If it's deliberate, it's just an attempt to cause confusion by giving players a heap of dots on their scanner, some of which are worthless.

As I said, it's always the single, small "spikes" at the tops of tall clusters that don't drop anything.
I wouldn't even bother shooting them except that they do clutter up your scanner so you might as well get rid of them.

If there is a "lore" explanation for it, it's presumably that they're "immature" rather than that they're "growing back" after the last time you were there.

Also, FWIW, I definitely have revisited POIs a few days after I previously visited them and they're just plain empty.
There's no "immature outcrops" around. There's just nothing there and then, a week or so later, they're ready for harvest again.

Last edited:
It's definitely not that they're "growing back" because I've had it happen at previously undiscovered Boi' POIs out in the middle of nowhere, near Colonia.

If it's deliberate, it's just an attempt to cause confusion by giving players a heap of dots on their scanner, some of which are worthless.

As I said, it's always the single, small "spikes" at the tops of tall clusters that don't drop anything.
I wouldn't even bother shooting them except that they do clutter up your scanner so you might as well get rid of them.

If there is a "lore" explanation for it, it's presumably that they're "immature" rather than that they're "growing back" after the last time you were there.

Also, FWIW, I definitely have revisited POIs a few days after I previously visited them and they're just plain empty.
There's no "immature outcrops" around. There's just nothing there and then, a week or so later, they're ready for harvest again.
1st time I went there I visited all the planets and loaded fully on the materials. I didn't have a single issue like this. Now it seems to happen 3 or 4 times in a row and as you said, multiple POIs on same planet.

One word: Physics. Not real world physics, but Frontier physics.

Most, if not all, crystalline clusters are located on extremely low-G worlds. and as anyone who visited Orrere Conda will tell you, low-G is bad for material grind. You shoot at rock\cargo rack\crystal five times, and then the thing can either peacefully fall on the ground and wait to be collected, or... "Liftoff, we have liftoff!".

The only "solution" is: don't be greedy. Don't try to collect several chunks at once. Shoot one, note where it lands, collect, repeat until full.

I have had some getting stuck in the vents, one falling through the planet, and a few disappearing. They do degrade like dropped cargo and mats as well, after you shoot them off.

:D S
I love how, even on a planet many light years from Earth, over a thousand years in the future, stuff falling into vents is still a problem (albeit a different sort of vent).

I've seen this only when I dare to hit two crystalline clusters at once (they do occasionally spawn close together). About 33% of the time one of the two disappears. So, I just don't do that anymore, even if I can.

I'm collecting crystalline clusters - polonium at the moment. I've shot several that just disappear as if I destroyed them, never fell and don't show up on the contacts list. Last time I was here doing this I never saw this happen. It's happening now over half the time.

Is this a new nerf feature or a bug?

I observed the same issue at "Cho Eur OV-X c1-0 B 7 A" and added it to your bug report.

One word: Physics. Not real world physics, but Frontier physics.

Most, if not all, crystalline clusters are located on extremely low-G worlds. and as anyone who visited Orrere Conda will tell you, low-G is bad for material grind. You shoot at rock\cargo rack\crystal five times, and then the thing can either peacefully fall on the ground and wait to be collected, or... "Liftoff, we have liftoff!".

The only "solution" is: don't be greedy. Don't try to collect several chunks at once. Shoot one, note where it lands, collect, repeat until full.
Three words: Watch the video.

They aren't floating away.

I'm collecting crystalline clusters - polonium at the moment. I've shot several that just disappear as if I destroyed them, never fell and don't show up on the contacts list. Last time I was here doing this I never saw this happen. It's happening now over half the time.

Is this a new nerf feature or a bug?
I'm spending the night on a planet that has them in the morning I'll shoot a couple and see what happens :D
What do you do with them once you get em?

Three words: Watch the video.

They aren't floating away.

Prop's to you for remaining polite. ;)

Gotta love all these responses such as "they're probably just falling down vents" or "they're probably floating off into space".
Amazing as it might seem, I'm neither blind nor stupid and I am capable of observing whether a mat' spawns or, failing that, using my Contacts HUD to establish whether a mat' is nearby, unseen.

Prop's to you for remaining polite. ;)

Gotta love all these responses such as "they're probably just falling down vents" or "they're probably floating off into space".
Amazing as it might seem, I'm neither blind nor stupid and I am capable of observing whether a mat' spawns or, failing that, using my Contacts HUD to establish whether a mat' is nearby, unseen.
I'm guilty as well of not reading the thread before offering a response based mostly on the thread title.

I'm spending the night on a planet that has them in the morning I'll shoot a couple and see what happens :D
What do you do with them once you get em?
Unless you travelled 1600 LY you probably aren't on the same type of biological POI. If you are though, they stay in your cache for element material, and these are the highest grade elements available, and in mass quantity. You use them for engineering your ship, for trading for other materials you need (elements only) or synthesizing things for your ship or SRV (like longer jumps, more powerful ammo, SRV fuel and hull synthesis, etc...)

You can never have too many of these, unfortunately you can only store 150 of each.

Unless you travelled 1600 LY you probably aren't on the same type of biological POI. If you are though, they stay in your cache for element material, and these are the highest grade elements available, and in mass quantity. You use them for engineering your ship, for trading for other materials you need (elements only) or synthesizing things for your ship or SRV (like longer jumps, more powerful ammo, SRV fuel and hull synthesis, etc...)

You can never have too many of these, unfortunately you can only store 150 of each.
The one here don't look like yours in the video.

Ya not quite out of the bubble yet.

Growing next to this- looked like a plant:

Top Bottom