Custom Configuration Files not Showing in Dropdown (Solved)

As I'm sure MANY of you out there are going to experience, or have already experienced, the game loves to overwrite your keybindings.

Lets start with the reason for this post: I use a gamepad to drive my SRV and the game kept overiding my profiles. Frustrated, I created a saved custom one per this article. The problem is the moment you disconnect ANY peripheral, your game will now hide those configs from you. THIS INCLUDES ANY CONTROLLERS. This usually isnt an issue except when I MADE this config (3 hours of configuring to taste), I was using my XBone controller through bluetooth. Frustrated with constant lagging (my SRV would do donuts while the controller tried to reconnect), I swapped to a corded one. Thinking nothing of it, I tried to continue and my game had locked me out of my 3 hour keybinding config file because the game recognizes a bluetooth XBone controller as a different device from a wired one, even if it's the same thing.

After a bunch of troubleshooting, I got to this conclusion:
If your custom profiles are not showing up, and you're using the same type of controller or gamepad, with the same inputs, CHECK TO VERIFY THE DEVICE NAME IN A TEXT EDITOR.
  • Find a keybinding with the peripheral connected, read what it says under the quoted Device. For example:
  • <IncreaseSystemsPower_Buggy>
    <Primary Device="Keyboard" Key="Key_LeftArrow" />
    <Secondary Device="GamePad" Key="GamePad_DPadLeft" />
    </IncreaseSystemsPower_Buggy>[/CODE]

The above example shows two bindings. One for keyboard, and one for GamePad. My previous config had the SAME code, except the Device="GamePad" was instead Device="04E025E0". That was the device name assigned to my bluetooth adapter. I just didnt realize it.

1. Here's what I did. I opened the game.
  2. Edited one keybinding to create the custom file.
  3. Closed the game and opened said file in Notepad++ (Refer to the link above for filepath).
  4. CTRL+F typed in the name of the gamepad I was using at the time (the 04E025E0) and found a total of 54 matches.
  5. Copied the default device name for my now wired controller called GamePad, and replaced every line that had 04E025E0 for the device with GamePad. Took about 5 minutes.
  6. Saved, then reloaded the game.
  7. Boom, my custom named file FINALLY appeared in the drop down.
I realize there are other tutorials on this out there, but when I would copy my file contents from one to another, the device names copied with it, locking out the new custom file. This created an endless loop. Eventually I realized it's tied to a device ID somewhere in the code, then found the differences in the names and swapped them then it worked.

Hopefully that will save someone the 5 hours it took me.

TL : DR

1. Here's what I did. I opened the game.
  2. Edited one keybinding to create the custom file.
  3. Closed the game and opened said file in Notepad++ (Refer to the link above for filepath).
  4. CTRL+F typed in the name of the gamepad I was using at the time (the 04E025E0) and found a total of 54 matches.
  5. Copied the default device name for my now wired controller called GamePad, and replaced every line that had 04E025E0 for the device with GamePad. Took about 5 minutes.
  6. Saved, then reloaded the game.
  7. Boom, my custom named file FINALLY appeared in the drop down.

Now rename your binds from Custom to something else to prevent it being overwritten by the game and you losing your settings.

Don't just rename the file though:

Make sure you change the "Root PresetName" in the binds file from "custom" to your chosen name - this is what appears in the drop-down list in-game.

Lastly, don't keep copies in the same directory as that can cause the game to not save any changes you make in-game. (This is due to the "Root PresetName" being what the game looks for, not the file-name.)

Also...

CTRL+F typed in the name of the gamepad I was using at the time (the 04E025E0) and found a total of 54 matches.
Copied the default device name for my now wired controller called GamePad, and replaced every line that had 04E025E0 for the device with GamePad. Took about 5 minutes.

You can use "find and replace" (Ctrl+H) - which is a much quicker way to replace all instances of a string with another one (5ms rather than 5 min ;) ).

Last edited:
Now rename your binds from Custom to something else to prevent it being overwritten by the game and you losing your settings.

Don't just rename the file though:

Make sure you change the "Root PresetName" in the binds file from "custom" to your chosen name - this is what appears in the drop-down list in-game.

Lastly, don't keep copies in the same directory as that can cause the game to not save any changes you make in-game. (This is due to the "Root PresetName" being what the game looks for, not the file-name.)

Also...

You can use "find and replace" (Ctrl+H) - which is a much quicker way to replace all instances of a string with another one (5ms rather than 5 min ;) ).

You're exceptional, thank you! I didn't know that.

Top Bottom