Custom Content: The Price of Admission

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
One of the things that really excites me about this game is the inclusion of custom content. This also has me a bit worried. On one hand it would be nice to import content into the game fairly easily. On the other if it is too easy we will end up with content that does not match the quality of the game or simply does not make sense. Early on in the RCT3 custom content arena there were some things like basic cubes that really served no purpose. There were also items that were simply converted from other existing 3D objects that once again seemed of very limited use. The old saying comes to mind “Just because you can doesn’t mean you should”. I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are on this. If custom content is handled properly this could really extend the gameplay of this title immensely.

I think it all depends on how they handle it. I haven't read anything about their custom content system, it will be a fairly large thing for Frontier to do and a lot of resources. They will need a few moderators to certainly remove things like cube or other junk that serves no purpose and parts of the human anatomy that people always make. They will need a user ratings.

A content rating / voting system would be ideal; let the community (mostly) moderate the quality of content.

A content rating / voting system would be ideal; let the community (mostly) moderate the quality of content.
+1 !

If they propose an official library, this is the best solution.
The official content, et the content that have received the highest ratings will be top of the list.

And no need to remove what is for you "unnecessary content" (because a basic cube may be useless to you, but may be useful for someone else) instead, simply let people vote, and basic cube will end page 15924, with no rating, and without the label "this content has been tested by the community".

For me, if the content works (no bugs) and that it does not violate the rules of the library (Inappropriate content), even if it's ugly or seems unnecessary, it's in its place (it just will end at the bottom)

This is what I think about it.

+1 !

The official content, et the content that have received the highest ratings will be top of the list.

And no need to remove what is for you "unnecessary content" (because a basic cube may be useless to you, but may be useful for someone else) instead, simply let people vote, and basic cube will end page 15924, with no rating, and without the label "this content has been tested by the community".

For me, if the content works (no bugs) and that it does not violate the rules of the library (Inappropriate content), even if it's ugly or seems unnecessary, it's in its place (it just will end at the bottom)

+1 this official library idea. The STEX from the SimCity4 fansite Simtropolis is great because of how people can rate the uploads (in combination with a great modding community all together that put out awesome high quality mods)

This is the only way to do it.

Its impossible to monitor everything everybody uploads so best is just to have most downloaded and highest rated etc like how the Steam Workshop works.

They could include some stuff like what Cities Skylines does. That you need to meet some requirements before you can upload it. Like: you have to use a minimum of 6 objects or something. I dont know what would be good.

I am all for a rating system when it comes to custom content. I am hoping that Frontier develops some kind of requirement for custom content (poly count, lod, etc.) and naming convention as well. There is nothing worse than looking for an object in game and having to scroll through a ton of content just to find what you want and then realize it kills your performance because of a ridiculously high poly count. It would also be nice if it was all in kept one location online, keeping object hunting to a minimum. [yesnod]

+1 !

Very good point you made about the basic cube. :)

+1 !

+1

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom