Custom scenarios: Option for locking DLC content. (PLEASE!)

Okay so as a person who plays and creates custom scenarios, something that's always bothered me is how DLC content (rides, scenery, etc.) just automatically adds itself to ALL existing scenarios.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be added to existing scenarios. I'm sure many people love opening old parks and adding the new rides to them, but this takes a very different turn when it comes to challenge scenarios.

For example, someone made a "build a fairground" type park, making sure only to enable fairground-type rides and coasters, challenging people to build a successful park out of only small rides and kiddie coasters. But because I have all the DLCs I can now build some distinctly non-fairground style rides and some fairly extreme coasters because they came with the DLCs.

So as a player of custom scenarios, this actually makes me avoid using DLC items altogether (which I think is the opposite of what a DLC sets out to accomplish?), because I feel like I'm "cheating" and using something I wasn't supposed to have, and that I have no idea of the creator of the scenario would've wanted to let me use.

And as a creator of custom scenarios I'm frustrated because I don't get a say in it.
I'm currently building a scenario where part of the challenge is that you have a fairly limited space to work with, but can only work with fairly large coaster types, and if you want anything else you have to research it.
But in comes the new Wooden Wild Mouse and basically throws a wrench into all of that. And I hate that I have no way of disabling it, or any future DLC rides.

Also, the rides unlocked are all supposed to be with more or less the same theme, which some of the DLC rides don't match.

I think DLC rides should show up in the window where you decide which rides are unlocked/locked/to be researched (and skipped/not show up if the person doesn't have the DLC), and that you should have a checkbox where you can mark "lock future DLC items from showing up in this scenario"

I know this feels weird and counter-intuitive, why would the developers want to restrict the use of something people pay extra for?
Well, like I said, this issue actually makes me want to avoid using DLC content altogether in anything but sandbox mode(which I rarely use), and I doubt I'm the only one. Making DLC lockable/researchable would basically affirm to me "oh, it's okay to use this, I'm SUPPOSED to have it."

Agreeing with this. A bit ago I put an expanded/reworked version of Silversmith Manor up to celebrate the Vintage Pack -- I couldn't exclude the Remotion Robotic Arm, which was vehemently off-theme!

I can see that there could be issues with customers like "I bought the pack, where's my stuff?!?!?" when some things from paid packs are excluded or made researchable, so this would have to be implemented carefully. Something like a checkbox in the Scenary Editor that allows this, but then also puts a warning box up before the scenario blurb advising that some purchased content may not be available in that scenario.

Last edited:
Okay so as a person who plays and creates custom scenarios, something that's always bothered me is how DLC content (rides, scenery, etc.) just automatically adds itself to ALL existing scenarios.

+1

Also, I would like a way to check which DLC's are in use. We've reached a point where it's very difficult to assess which DLC's you've used while creating a park or scenario.

Really glad you guys agree!
Inspired by the way this situation was handled in a custom Tropico 4 scenario I played back in the day, in my newest scenario I basically made a huge sign inviting people to "burn" a certain amount of money to "research" DLC rides. (which invoolved making them build and then delete an "overpower" ride once or twice, based on whether or not its a flat ride or a coaster), but that just feels so clunky!

HeatherG

Volunteer Moderator
make whatever you want to make. its your mind that makesit. Someone is telling you can’t use things is kinda freaky. planco bully or something.

if u dont want any dlcs to show up in Building-Scenery click on DLC ITEMS to the left of MORE FILTERS.

Build anything your heart desires......cheezy......have fun!!

I think you kind of misunderstood. In Sandbox it is natural you want to have everything. But in Career/Scenario mode it is part of challenge to just be presented the selection the creator used, and then you have to research for more. It is a *game* that way. :)

make whatever you want to make. its your mind that makesit. Someone is telling you can’t use things is kinda freaky. planco bully or something.

if u dont want any dlcs to show up in Building-Scenery click on DLC ITEMS to the left of MORE FILTERS.

Build anything your heart desires......cheezy......have fun!!

I'm not talking about sandbox mode, I'm talking about scenarios.
And I'm not talking about electing not to build DLC items. I can do that fine without them being locked. I'm talking about if, say, i'm building a custom scenario where the challenge is to build a successful 1920's beachside amusement park, I would want to block any non-1920's ride in the game, but anyone with the studios DLC would be able to build a robotic arm ride and there's nothing I can do about it.

Or, to use an actual, recent example , someone created a "build a fairground" scenario where you start off with a handful of rides and you're supposed to research the rest, I have the option of building all the rides that came with the vintage pack but I have no idea if I'm SUPPOSED to be able to. It's possible that when the person creating the scenario built it, the idea was that I was only supposed to have 2 rides at my disposal, and I head to research the rest. OR it's possible I WAS supposed to have them right from the start. There's no way of knowing!

I'm not talking about sandbox mode, I'm talking about scenarios.
And I'm not talking about electing not to build DLC items. I can do that fine without them being locked. I'm talking about if, say, i'm building a custom scenario where the challenge is to build a successful 1920's beachside amusement park, I would want to block any non-1920's ride in the game, but anyone with the studios DLC would be able to build a robotic arm ride and there's nothing I can do about it.

Or, to use an actual, recent example , someone created a "build a fairground" scenario where you start off with a handful of rides and you're supposed to research the rest, I have the option of building all the rides that came with the vintage pack but I have no idea if I'm SUPPOSED to be able to. It's possible that when the person creating the scenario built it, the idea was that I was only supposed to have 2 rides at my disposal, and I head to research the rest. OR it's possible I WAS supposed to have them right from the start. There's no way of knowing!

I guess the scenario makers would have to write in the description whether we should ignore the packs or if we are allowed to use them.... Or just use your own discretion, if you want to have it hard or easy.

Not everyone reads the descriptions thoroughly, and even when they do - I don't always play a scenario right after downloading it, I'm not necessarily going to remember what it said in the description.

Also, what if I want something to be researchable, rather than just locked/unlocked?

And as the person making the scenario, if I want to make a challenging scenario, I don't want the player to be able to just "have it be easy" because they felt like it. Takes the whole point out of building a challenge.

Plus, it just seems very unintuitive.

Gonna go ahead and bump this thread simply because with the new (and very welcome!) rides DLC that's coming up, we're getting to the point where you can essentially complete entire scenarios solely with DLC rides without having to research anything.

Also, I've heard many people complain that there's not enough challenge-style user made scenarios in the workshop, I can only speak for myself, but I know every time I think of creating one, I get too frustrated byt he thought that I can't control which rides will be locked/unlocked/researchable, and end up not bothering to make one.

Last edited:
yes, +1

Edit: I remember quite a while ago someone said the reasoning behind this is people paid for dlc so they have to be able to use it when they want to.
(Not sure if it was said by a developer though, might have been a player?)

yes, +1

Edit: I remember quite a while ago someone said the reasoning behind this is people paid for dlc so they have to be able to use it when they want to.

To me that sounds stupid. Althought it could mean people would only make scenario's that contain DLC items, which would make them unplayable to the peope who don't own the DLC.

Yet still.... I think custom scenario's are not a challenge when you already have rides, shop etc. available extra at the start of a scenario without the need of researching them.
I know we can turn DLC items off ourselves, but it would still leave out the research part.

The game needs to challenge me, not me challenging myself not to use it.

yes, +1

The irony is, this actually makes it use the DLCs LESS. Because it feels a bit like a "pay to win" game this way. Because while people who only have the base game have to spend time and money researching rides, I, a person who said real world money, can just plop down anything from a large selection of thrill rides, family rides, and coasters, already available to me at the start of each game.
It feels wrong, so I completely avoid it all. And that's frustrating because, as someone who doesn't love sandbox mode all that much, I end up having no opportunity to actually BUILD these rides that I paid for!

Althought it could mean people would only make scenario's that contain DLC items, which would make them unplayable to the peope who don't own the DLC.

Nobody said a scenario that includes a DLC ride can't still work for someone (maybe unless the DLC content is already built into the scenario itself), but just not have the aformentioned ride in it. And even if you couldn't, I still think this is preferable, since games usually say "the ____ DLC is needed to play this" in their description.

I just hate that the game is suffering from a lack of custom challenge scenarios partly because of this.

The irony is, this actually makes it use the DLCs LESS. Because it feels a bit like a "pay to win" game this way. Because while people who only have the base game have to spend time and money researching rides, I, a person who said real world money, can just plop down anything from a large selection of thrill rides, family rides, and coasters, already available to me at the start of each game.
It feels wrong, so I completely avoid it all. And that's frustrating because, as someone who doesn't love sandbox mode all that much, I end up having no opportunity to actually BUILD these rides that I paid for!

Nobody said a scenario that includes a DLC ride can't still work for someone (maybe unless the DLC content is already built into the scenario itself), but just not have the aformentioned ride in it. And even if you couldn't, I still think this is preferable, since games usually say "the ____ DLC is needed to play this" in their description.

I just hate that the game is suffering from a lack of custom challenge scenarios partly because of this.

I meant making a scenario with DLC items only would make it unplayable for others because they cant build. Either way I agree fully.

yeah but making a scenario with DLC only items is so incredibly specific that even if it does happen I think that just putting a "you need the following DLCs" warning in the steam description is enough.

I agree. I haven't gotten into scenarios but I am working on a highly themed small park and was thinking it would be fun to make a scenario with it but I'd need to restrict new rides being built for it to work.

Top Bottom