If you're interested in a customized panel / face-plate for the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Throttle, labelled with your own controls and using the Warthog back-lighting (as seen below) then keep reading; I stopped procrastinating about requests to make my Warthog laser-cutting/etching template available :D

LLJsIYS.jpg
DjAjeE4.jpg
Y2BQNLX.jpg

To make one of these requires laying out your desired controls labels on the cutting template using Inkscape (free drawing software) or Adobe Illustrator or similar, and roughly about $40-$100 to place the order at Ponoko (a laser-cutting service). The price depends on how many panels you want to cut and how much engraving (labeling) each has. Ponoko will also charge you $9 beforehand to get the template - that portion goes to me! (The template was a fair bit of work and I have no income right now, but if you like I can put whatever proceeds there might be towards supporting ongoing Elite development via Frontier store purchases :D )

If you're in the UK then shipping can get really expensive from Ponoko (which is based in the USA and New Zealand). The flip side is that apparently Ponoko is less expensive for cutting than many similar places. If you want to shop around, here are two in Europe to look into:

• A London-based laser-cutting service - www.RazorLAB.co.uk - accepts the same format of cutting file, so you could use them, but last I checked they don't offer the two-color black-on-white plastic that I used for the panels. (This material allows the etch to cut white lettering into black, and the black masks the backlights to create nice illuminated lettering) Perhaps requesting the material would help persuade them to start stocking it?
  • There is another cutting service in Berlin that used to partner with Ponoko called Formulor, and they DO have the two-color plastic ("black one-sided with white core") in sheet sizes that match Ponoko. They also direct users to Ponoko for tutorials on how to create the cutting art, so I assume their specs are the same so the template should likewise be completely compatible with their system.

My Warthog template and more info WAS available at Ponoko, but they stopped hosting like that, so you'll have to email me for it until I find another host, and paypal the $9 to the same address: archvillain AT earthlink DOT net

The template has the panel cut-out lines, my own controls labels as examples (black lines and fill get etched instead of cut), and an orange guide layer (that you will eventually want to delete) which visibly shows the panel outline (the cutting lines are too thin to see very easily) as well as solid-orange markings showing you where the backlit areas are on the throttle so you can position your labels to take advantage of that:
faceplate3_product_page.jpg

I don't think the template file includes the font, so if you want the example layout to look its best or if you want to use the same font, you'll need EuroStile (you'll recognise it from the Elite Dangerous UI) EuroStile and other fonts used by Elite Dangerous are available here.

(Ponoko also now offers a cheaper option where they just cut the pieces you want out of the sheet of material instead of charging you for the full sheet. I have not used this option so can't advise how to best take advantage of it.)

When the etched and cut panels arrive, the white core will be exposed in the etched text, and also on the sides where the panel is cut out of the sheet, so I used a sharpie marker pen to make the cut sides black like the front face, but that's personal preference.

I won't be able to help beyond this with people's projects, sorry. (I've got way too many things needing my time!) but if you have the time and money and inclination to give it a go, I recommend it. :)

Last edited:
Surprised you haven't gotten any replies yet, I suppose if you're not crying about a nerf or posting pictures of an Asp in front of something no one reads it, huh?

As a huge fan of the Warthog, and sim cockpits in general, this looks fantastic. I'd definitely like to get a copy of the template and will reach out directly for that. Any chance you would reply here with the details of the other mods, like the safety switches, rubber "knobs" on the 2 middle switches, etc?

Here's a quick shot of my setup BTW - would love to see the rest of yours, I love seeing what folks have done so I can stand on the shoulders of giants to build something for myself.

~X

My setup, an older picture but 90% the same

gdtqBzc.jpg

That’s very nice Cmdr. Looks totally professional. If I had a warthog I’d order one ! Good luck with this endeavour

Flimley

Impressive and such a great idea. I have the X55 Rhino so I'd have to do a new template but man that would be cool. :)

Do you happen to have the plans for sale of the "exact" plates you posted here?

That one was made from my template, but slightly customized by someone else to match their control layout, so I don't have it. The template is the design seen in the top two images.

Hello,

I've tried - several times - to buy your template... Each time it says "Doh! We didn't anticipate something. We've logged this error and will get fixing as soon as we can."
I've got my own cutter, so I don't really need much more than that. Do you have a paypal or equivalent so I could just send you the $6 directly? I can give you my email via pm, and you could send it my way.

If you're willing, that is.

I’d also love to buy your template but am also having issues with the site.

i also have a question about your layout. What is the purpose of the High/Low wake switch in the Frameshift section? Are you using it to switch between local super cruise and Frameshift jumps between systems?

So I think I've figured out the Ponoko error/problem. The fix is to create your Ponoko account before you buy, then the "buy files now" link seems to work. (You're supposed to be able to just click on buy and it has you make your account during the transaction process, but that leads to the error. Being already logged in when you click on it seems to work.)

Sorry about the mess, but hopefully that works!
Update: Ponoko no-longer hosts the file, so this is now moot. You'll have to email me: archvillain AT earthlink DOT net

i also have a question about your layout. What is the purpose of the High/Low wake switch in the Frameshift section? Are you using it to switch between local super cruise and Frameshift jumps between systems?

Yes. By default, the Frameshift Drive button is contextural and will high-wake or low-wake depending on what you have targeted/selected, but you can also bind controls to only low-wake (ie regardless of whether you have another star system plotted), and likewise controls that only high-wake. So I have all three - the pushbutton is context-senstive, and the toggle switch which is specific..

Last edited:
Im sorry to resurrect this thread, I was interested in purchasing the template through Ponoko but it seems the link in this thread is no longer usable.

Until I find another place to host it, email me at archvillain (at) earthlink (dot) net, and I can send it as a mail attachment. You can paypal the $9 to the same email address. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
I'm in for this - just got a warthog throttle, and need to make it look the part! Did you go for 3mm or the 1.5?

Last edited:
Top Bottom