Ships Cutter v Corvette.....

I am dreaming of my ideal fleet and want a cutter and a corvette. But do I need more than one of each? I have the ranks for both and the cash. But what is ideal?

I figure cutter as a miner with 522T and corvette as a combat ship. But are there other roles for these brutes?

I am dreaming of my ideal fleet and want a cutter and a corvette. But do I need more than one of each? I have the ranks for both and the cash. But what is ideal?

Depends
I have a Cutter trader and a Cutter Miner
Also a Corvette for combat.

The Corvette can also make good traders and miners, but not at the level of efficiency comparable with Cutter
Pretty much the same way the Cutter can make a good combat ship, but not as good as the Vette tho.

I use both as heavily armed multi-role ships. Some days I want to fry some fools in a CZ, - either ship does well there when specced for combat, they both have advantages and drawbacks. The Cutter's greater boost speed makes it easier to disengage from hairy situations, the Corvette's higher maneuverability makes it awesome for fighting.

They're also both pretty great as armed traders, I can stuff hundreds of tons of cargo in either and still be able to smash any npc pirate daring to interdict me. Which of course I do, for the bonus money from the bounties.

I loathe mining, but I have done it in both ships.

Smuggling. Eh. No. Neither ship is great for that.

I've done a bit of exploring in the Cutter, got all the engineered bits for trying it in the Corvette too but haven't tried it out. Sure I'd be doing many more jumps, but I figure I'll get whereever I'm going eventually.

Both ships look amazing, and both ships require all the engineering, but the end result is so worth it I think. They're each fun to fly, if you can get past their quirks. (All the drift in the Cutter, and the slow boost speed of the Corvette)

I have a trader and a miner Cutter, and two combat Corvettes.

Between these two ships, for me, Corvette for anything combat related, Cutter for everything else.

I used to have two Corvettes, one for PvE and one for PvP. Since switching to PC, I only have one Vette now and if I want to use it for PvP I just change the loadout.
Since I primarily use my Vette for PvE and I primarily use the medium 3 for PvP, I really have no use for another dedicated PvP vette.
And as much as I hate the cutter, everyone should have one for running cargo

Last edited:
I have two Cutters and the Corvette. Here's why. Cutter is a proper multirole ship while Corvette was designed as a fighter. I have well armed and well shielded Cutter for everyday use (https://s.orbis.zone/8N88). It is fast, it has good shield, 256 tons worth of cargo space, truck load of weapons and many other cool things on board. It is one of the safest ships I've ever traveled on, I love it. Another Cutter is a mining ship. I don't think there's any other ship which is so good at mining. Not too long ago I got bored and converted this mining Cutter for the long range expedition. It has 50Ly jump range and it comes with some weapons, SLF, two SRVs, 8B and 6B AFMUs, 8A fuel scoop, extra fuel tank and Jacuzzi. It is currently on it's way home from Ishum's Reach and after over 100 000 Ly traveled without docking anywhere still perfectly fine. Corvette you would only buy for one purpose, therefore unless you want to have few different loadouts, one Corvette in the fleet should do.

Top Bottom