Game Discussions Cyberpunk 2077 - official gameplay

Updated recommended system specs:
EnRvD_eXYAAjlg-

Interesting that from that, they're apparently not supporting ray tracing for AMD cards like the 6800XT.

I'm not incredibly surprised by this, as aside from great reviews on other aspects of the cards, it seems their 1st gen RT implementation falls quite a bit short in benchmarks. We don't even know if DirectX actually supports the AMD implementation... the cards are that new.

I hit 'Ultra' on every aspect on my machine except for the graphics card (a 1080Ti), so guess what is getting upgraded next...

Interesting that from that, they're apparently not supporting ray tracing for AMD cards like the 6800XT.

They are*. They just won't advertise it prominently, probably because NVIDIA is a sponsor/partner and/or AMD doesn't want their 650 dollar parts being compared to NVIDIA's last gen. That chart for Cyberpunk 2077 almost certainly implies that DLSS 2.0 is being used for the RT presets and while there are other ways to upscale that will probably achieve an acceptable effect on RDNA2, they couldn't get away with calling an unofficial/out of game up-scaling solution "2160p". At native internal res, 1080p is probably it for the RDNA2 parts as far as good ray tracing performance will go.

*EDIT: https://wccftech.com/cyberpunk-2077-ray-tracing-not-available-on-amd-radeon-at-launch/

Looks like it won't be enabled on AMD at launch. Probably a situation similar to NVIDIA and Godfall.

We don't even know if DirectX actually supports the AMD implementation... the cards are that new.

We do and it does. This is what standards are for; build and a game to the same API and they usually work together.

This has been confirmed by both AMD and NVIDIA.

Currently there only seem to be four RT titles that don't appear to have hardware accelerated RT on both NVIDIA and AMD. Quake II RTX, Wolfenstein: Youngblood, and JX3 only have hardware RT on NVIDIA because NVIDIA used proprietary extensions, as VulkanRT wasn't ready. Godfall currently only works correctly with DXR on AMD (you can force it enabled on NVIDIA parts, but there are serious glitches), though there is some debate as to how intentional this is. I suspect it will be working on NVIDIA shortly.

Last edited:
I'm still pleasantly surprised that the recommended specs are fairly low... even for the higher res RTX options. CDPR's RedEngine must be a well optimised bit of software considering the game footage we've seen so far.

PC Gamer has a review after 15 hours of pre-release gameplay...they're well impressed :)

PC Gamer review

...and a new RTX demo video.

Last edited:
*EDIT: https://wccftech.com/cyberpunk-2077-ray-tracing-not-available-on-amd-radeon-at-launch/

Looks like it won't be enabled on AMD at launch. Probably a situation similar to NVIDIA and Godfall.

Yep, it really does look like if you want ray tracing, you are better off sticking with Nvidia. The AMD cards perform well without that. And of course there's that promised Ryzen 5000 boost where the CPU can access the entire 16GB of GDDR5 memory in the graphics card as one unit. So it's a toss-up - although CP2077 is probably the only game which uses ray tracing that I'm likely to play in the next 12 months.

We do and it does. This is what standards are for; build and a game to the same API and they usually work together.

This has been confirmed by both AMD and NVIDIA.

Cool. I would assume that DirectX will fully support whatever AMD or Nvidia do, but you know what they say about assumptions... and I don't have a card to test.

Yep, it really does look like if you want ray tracing, you are better off sticking with Nvidia.

For NVIDIA partner titles, absolutely.

And of course there's that promised Ryzen 5000 boost where the CPU can access the entire 16GB of GDDR5 memory in the graphics card as one unit.

This is a mostly artificial limitation. Any system with appropriate firmware support for the optional PCI-E spec resizable BAR, combined with GPU drivers that take advantage of it, should allow "Smart Access Memory", or a non-AMD equivalent (which NVIDIA announced almost immediately after the RDNA2 preview), to function. A combination of marketing and compatibility concerns is likely why it's limited to the Ryzen 5000 series CPUs and 500 series chipsets, currently...probably the same reasons that ray tracing only currently works on AMD hardware in Godfall and will initially only work on NVIDIA in Cyberpunk 2077.

Cool. I would assume that DirectX will fully support whatever AMD or Nvidia do, but you know what they say about assumptions... and I don't have a card to test.

Both AMD and NVIDIA contributed to the DXR spec and both are making fully compliant parts. Any incompatibilities are down to drivers and and game developers. Any truly DXR compliant title is supposed to work on any DXR compliant part, but as you note, things may not always work that way in practice.

Deliberate/artificial exclusivity is a real risk, as we are already getting a taste of. Hopefully, this doesn't persist long after the launch of titles, but I can see poorly supported games never having RT enabled on competitor products, even if there is no technical reason why they couldn't.

Apparently the game has leaked out to round the various pits of rubbish on the net. Read something earlier about footage getting leaked of some Neanderthals playing it.

Indeed. Eurogamers piece on the story gets to describing how the Neanderthals playing it started their game and I had to stop reading then.

Stupid gaming journos shouldn't be writing stuff like this, it only gives a sliver of credence to the initial act I think

Indeed. Eurogamers piece on the story gets to describing how the Neanderthals playing it started their game and I had to stop reading then.

Stupid gaming journos shouldn't be writing stuff like this, it only gives a sliver of credence to the initial act I think
Nicking pre-release console games from a warehouse is more common than you'd imagine... there are entire organisations dedicated to stealing, cloning the discs and selling them.

Top Bottom