Dark rides

Apologies if this has been asked before. I've done a search and can't find a specific answer to the problem.

I see that I need to use terrain to make my dark ride dark in the day time. Unfortunately that doesn't suit the ride I am building now.

Is there a plan to make internal rides dark?

I remember there was a Dev in another Thread explaining the Problems that come with that, and possible solutions have been suggested by the Community. But if and how this issue can be fixed i'm not sure.

Its weird, i swore bcak during alpha that some people were certain that dark rides was a confirmed feature, but it currently only works with terrain or by keeping the time set to night

Its weird, i swore bcak during alpha that some people were certain that dark rides was a confirmed feature, but it currently only works with terrain or by keeping the time set to night

To be fair though, it is more than we get in that OTHER Game....

the devs have said that to do scenery based dark rides would be too much for the CPU to handle and is unlikely we will ever be able to make dark rides with walls

the devs have said that to do scenery based dark rides would be too much for the CPU to handle and is unlikely we will ever be able to make dark rides with walls

That's a real pity. I think it's a massive flaw in an otherwise fantastic game. I have spent around 2 weeks designing the entrance to my park. Around another two weeks designing a themed zone and a dark ride is the first thing I've tried to create. I literally haven't placed another ride yet. This is a HUGE hole in the game in my opinion.

That's a real pity. I think it's a massive flaw in an otherwise fantastic game. I have spent around 2 weeks designing the entrance to my park. Around another two weeks designing a themed zone and a dark ride is the first thing I've tried to create. I literally haven't placed another ride yet. This is a HUGE hole in the game in my opinion.
Yes, but there is a way around it. It's a bit ugly and clunky BUT: you build the darkride with the scenery first. Enclose it in a Building. Make sure you have a floor and a ceiling. Then raise the terrain up to the top of the building. Use the flatten tool or chisel to make the terrain walls and top bit as flat as possible. THEN: Build a Building Shell around all this and connect a tunnel to the entrance and exit of the Darkride. This should solve the lighting Problem. Not the most elegant solution, but it works.

Tyczj answered it already correctly. I remembered where this was posted. The recent news about this topic was from Andy explained in this thread: https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/21274-Problems-with-Building!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there's a technical reason why building pieces can't block out the light so it's unlikely that they'll be anything other than terrain which blocks light. The terrain geometry is built and stored in such a way that we can determine easily and quickly if a point is enclosed by terrain to the point where ambient light will not penetrate. The calculations required for building pieces to determine if they would remove the ambient light component aren't practical to perform and still maintain any kind of framerate.

It's unfortunate - we spent a bunch of time investigating possible ways to do this, but at the end of the day either locking the time of day to nighttime for the duration of your ride, setting your park opening hours to only be during the night or covering your ride with terrain are the best way around this.

Cheers

Andy

I was really interested to see what they would come up with. I am not so surprised that we can't get it dark inside a building with no windows. We know that those calculations are too much.

If I think about other games that I play it is clear that they have this same problem. Think about all the games in which you can build your own base or house (like the many survival games). Excluding that game in which you build houses for your avatar and be very socializing. Of course games where you can not build things yourself have a lot of other tricks to use.

I remember the graphic option in Rct3 for laser occlusion which prevented lasers from the laser show going through scenery. By enabling that you could already see some framedrops with a few lasers. I am not a game developer, but i am guessing that could be seen as something similar.

Every idea should be suggested to Frontier. They may not know a solution right now, but we can be sure they will be working on it if they get some crazy good idea in the future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom