Hello people!

Just a suggestion.....after hours and hours of travelling, mapping and a lot of effort to collect data, suddenly we get destroyed but an enemy. I think I am not the only one who had this experience.
How about ED team just load our DATA (same as they do with our material and goods used with engineers) and even destroyed, we still hold the data? I think it is just frustrating and honestly, I lost my passion to play this increadible game. Lose what I have on my trunk, no problem. Lose money to buy another ship, no problem....but the data...that's too much. Just thinking....

Fifico

Having suffered the same fate out in witchhead I decided my paper dbx had to go.
Replaced it with a 72ly capable armoured conda. Shields, countermeasures, still no weapons but I know I can survive an interdiction whilst approaching occupied space.
Like you I learned the hard way.
Also consider what l did recently. I'm out in the black In my conda surveying for hotspots. I had about 200 mill of data and decided to download it to a Dssa carrier nearby.
I'm rich l do not care about the credits.
So losing a % was no loss. I'm sure I still get all the data hehe.
Good luck cmdr

o7

Hello people!

Just a suggestion.....after hours and hours of travelling, mapping and a lot of effort to collect data, suddenly we get destroyed but an enemy. I think I am not the only one who had this experience.
How about ED team just load our DATA (same as they do with our material and goods used with engineers) and even destroyed, we still hold the data? I think it is just frustrating and honestly, I lost my passion to play this increadible game. Lose what I have on my trunk, no problem. Lose money to buy another ship, no problem....but the data...that's too much. Just thinking....

Fifico
First of all: don't travel with cargo, which might attract pirates close to civilization, while having exploration data onboard and you'll be perfectly safe from NPC attacks.
There's very, very little danger in exploration. Loosing data upon destruction (even if you really need to be careless to get destroyed while exploring) is the only thing that brings some kind of risk. And even that is pretty much nullified when you can afford Fleet Carrier.

The problem is this: if they let you keep data on destruction, then explorers out in deep space could (and would) simply self-destruct their way back home, without having to fly back to safety.

I know it's discouraging - I've lost my ship with months worth of data aboard. more than once. That hurt - a lot. But I got back in my ship, and kept going. Last time it happened, I used the Visited Stars filter to re-gather all of my lost data back, and tried to be more careful next time.

Finally, explorers shouldn't have enemies. If you've got a bucketload of data onboard, you (a) should be in Solo, (b) shouldn't have any cargo and (c) shouldn't be running missions or be pledged to a PowerPlay Power. Do this and you should be more or less invulnerable to death by violence. If you fly empty and get interdicted by an NPC, just submit and let them scan you. They'll mutter dark things about your general uselessness and fly away, leaving you alone to continue your travels.

I should add that a "better idea", that has been suggested many times before, would be to provide some means by which you could recover your lost data. Perhaps if you are destroyed with data onboard, then a "personal data cache" is created at your point of destruction, which you then have to retrieve if you want your data back. This would prevent salt-harvesters from ruining weeks of work by blowing up data-carrying explorers (since you would not have to travel far to retrieve your data), and at the same time it would discourage suicide-returning because the data would be left behind way out where you blew up.

It has other complications, however (like "what happens if you decide not to go and collect it" and "that's a lot of saved data the game has to keep track of"), so I doubt this would ever be introduced either.

I don't understand why the game doesn't store the exploration data in a black box that you have to go back in the system you've lost it to recover it if you want it. There's not much to do if you decide not to go back after it since the signal source with the black box would spawn just when you're near that location and should be visible only to you.

I don't understand why the game doesn't store the exploration data in a black box that you have to go back in the system you've lost it to recover it if you want it. There's not much to do if you decide not to go back after it since the signal source with the black box would spawn just when you're near that location and should be visible only to you.
And if I blow you up when you come back from an exploration you will be dropping this black box for me to pick up?.... ;)

And if I blow you up when you come back from an exploration you will be dropping this black box for me to pick up?.... ;)
But you would have to catch me first @metatheurgist :) If you want to pick it up and take it to a station that would be even better as data would still reach its destination. Signal sources to collect some black box are already in the game, why not restoring the lost data...

They're missing a lot of gameplay opportunities by taking this simplistic approach of you die, you lose. Other professions don't face such high infinitely increasing risk that can go on for months or years.

Like suggested, a black box optional module could store this data in the event of death. This could involve a very high cost proportional to the amount of data as a requirement to function, at this point you're not really expecting to profit, just to salvage all that work for your own personal completionism.

It doesn't stop there, though. Paying for the black box rebuy would simply spawn the real black box at the location of your death, which would start generating a special signal source in that system for locating it, available for anyone to pick it up.

Those who pick it up would have the choice of contacting their owner for a return contract or using it themselves when docked at a space station to acquire that exploration data for themselves, including the theft of first discoveries/mapping credit.

Last edited:
It's gameplay to have something to lose in all professions. You lose vouchers/combat bonds for combat, cargo for trade, data for exploration. You want to remove all risk in the game for an entire branch of the game. Without risk there is no tension, it's just a routine.

The same should apply to materials. You only get to keep them if you succeed at offloading them at a station. Why do they miraculously survive everything?? Where's the "risk"?
That or make data invincible as well. Retrievable black boxes sound great too. Just not what we have now. It's these inconsistencies in Elite that drive me nuts.
X.

The same should apply to materials. You only get to keep them if you succeed at offloading them at a station. Why do they miraculously survive everything?? Where's the "risk"?
That or make data invincible as well. Retrievable black boxes sound great too. Just not what we have now. It's these inconsistencies in Elite that drive me nuts.
X.
By that definition of "risk" when you die in game you should clear your save, no ships or credit balance left since you're a new pilot anyway. I don't know about you but I don't believe that theory that when your escape pod gets ejected when ship explodes is magically and instantly transferred thousand of light years back to the station.

I should add that a "better idea", that has been suggested many times before, would be to provide some means by which you could recover your lost data. Perhaps if you are destroyed with data onboard, then a "personal data cache" is created at your point of destruction, which you then have to retrieve if you want your data back. This would prevent salt-harvesters from ruining weeks of work by blowing up data-carrying explorers (since you would not have to travel far to retrieve your data), and at the same time it would discourage suicide-returning because the data would be left behind way out where you blew up.

It has other complications, however (like "what happens if you decide not to go and collect it" and "that's a lot of saved data the game has to keep track of"), so I doubt this would ever be introduced either.

One way to deal with all the saved data could be that we generate a special mission to gather your black box, and you have lets say 4 weeks to accept that mission, if you do not accept or decline the mission, we we can now toss that data away. once accepted, it has no timer any more. and you can only have one recovery mission active at any time. meaning you have to either discard or complete the current mission before you active another recovery mission.

I have been thinking about advanced versions of this, where you have a timelimit to get your data, and if that time is passed, your data starts to decay... this would have to work on a distance... so if you where all out near Beagle point you would obviosuyly need ALOT more time to go and collect your data than if you just died in the next system over... I have no idea how to make a descent lore explanation for this decay...

One way to deal with all the saved data could be that we generate a special mission to gather your black box, and you have lets say 4 weeks to accept that mission, if you do not accept or decline the mission, we we can now toss that data away. once accepted, it has no timer any more. and you can only have one recovery mission active at any time. meaning you have to either discard or complete the current mission before you active another recovery mission.

I have been thinking about advanced versions of this, where you have a timelimit to get your data, and if that time is passed, your data starts to decay... this would have to work on a distance... so if you where all out near Beagle point you would obviosuyly need ALOT more time to go and collect your data than if you just died in the next system over... I have no idea how to make a descent lore explanation for this decay...
I don't think a time limit is required, the signal source to collect your data should respawn only if you re-enter the system where you lost it. Problem is actually how the data is combined with all the additional exploration you do while getting back to that system.

I don't think a time limit is required, the signal source to collect your data should respawn only if you re-enter the system where you lost it. Problem is actually how the data is combined with all the additional exploration you do while getting back to that system.
the combining of data should not be that much of an issue....
I assume it is table of data, so once you pick up your recovered data, we simply combine the data and throw out any duplicates that might exists. Should be a pretty straight forward process.

First explored bonus etc are only handled when you turn in data, as it is first to turn in data for a specific system that receive the bonus, so should be unaffected by this.

the combining of data should not be that much of an issue....
I assume it is table of data, so once you pick up your recovered data, we simply combine the data and throw out any duplicates that might exists. Should be a pretty straight forward process.

First explored bonus etc are only handled when you turn in data, as it is first to turn in data for a specific system that receive the bonus, so should be unaffected by this.
Sounds good to me... Now let's just hope black box technology can keep all that data and software gets smarter until 3307 ;)

Hello people!

Fifico
It's an exciting gamble and adds fear and danger to the game IMO

Meow.🐈

Top Bottom