David Braben Interview March 19th 2012

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I think we were about due for one anyway.

I know that there's no news about Elite 4 available for us die-hard fans (not even whether or not even the janitor's actively working on it, never mind anyone else), but I do feel Frontier could perhaps help out the community - even official approval for the various fan projects would be good.

I for one would love to see stuff like JJFFE be allowed as Frontier-endorsed "Windows Patches" for the original games. I'm not actually saying that I'm wanting Frontier to get stuck in with these particularly - just to give them more of a nod of approval than simply sitting back and letting those guys get on with it.

Just call it recognition for all the work people like John Jordan have been doing to keep the Elite community active and playing Elite & Frontier.

Last edited:
@Sorry Geraldine I didn't mean for it to be a rant, it was more a passionate explanation of what my stance was.

@Gunbladelad most companies are reticent regarding fan made versions aren't they.

While I understand Frontier Elite II and First Encounters are vast improvements on Elite, Elite for me will always be the "one" this is why I play Oolite far more than any of the other enhanced versions. Having bought all the official versions I have (see my signature) is my humble way of saying thank you to the makers.

As I've said before, Frontier was my first step into the space sim genre (unless you count text adventures or the travesty that was "Enterprise"- aka : Eliza when you're just trying to sell goods...), despite my best efforts at the time...

If I'd ever managed to get Amstrad Action issue 100, then no doubt Elite would hold that special place for me (yes, that was my introduction to Elite, although I never got that covertape, or - at the time - the game), but as such, I got introduced to it much later with the PC Utilities Magazine when they did FE2 on one of their covertapes many years later. For me, due to my introduction, I do prefer the newtonian physics of FE2 and FFE.

If there's ever going to actually be a Frontier Developments (or any other company, on the off-chance Frontier ever gets bought out) released version of Elite 4, then it's safe to say that the fanbase will truly expect something exceptional compared to the general market's offerings. To do anything less will be no less than effectively sticking up the middle finger at the fanbase that's kept the spirit of "Elite" and "Frontier" alive so long.

For this reason, and this reason alone, I do sincerely hope that David Braben (and, here's hoping - Ian Bell's helping secretly) and Frontier Developments will pull something out of their rear ends and produce something not just magical, but beyond the capabilities of major companies such as EA and Microsoft to even comprehend, let alone reproduce,

For this reason, and this reason alone, I do sincerely hope that David Braben (and, here's hoping - Ian Bell's helping secretly)

oh dear. stop it GunBladeLad.... :) If Elite IV came out and I saw the names Ian Bell and David Braben I would in all due seriousness start to cry from the emotion of the joy.

If Elite IV came out and I saw the names Ian Bell and David Braben I would in all due seriousness start to cry from the emotion of the joy.
AFAIK they're still not on speaking terms, so it seems unlikely. Still, never say never (remember Pink Floyd at Live 8?? :D)

for myself, I'd be happy (for a while at least), if they'd just show us forumites just a couple of bits of artwork.
Even if they're just concept art.
cmon mikey......throw us a crumb!

They both appeared on the Channel 5 UK doco Brits that changed the World that was all about Elite but then again they were not interviewed together.

Also in 2009 they both attended that convention and they both appeared again not sure if they spoke. I really hope they did.

Also in 2009 they both attended that convention and they both appeared again not sure if they spoke. I really hope they did.
I was there and I'm pretty sure they didn't. There was a brief exchange regarding a photo together, conducted via a third party, nothing more. And the photo didn't happen :(

OK, someone get the Leeches out - we need to clear that bad blood away, lol.

I do have to say though, that there's obviously some strong reason for them to still not be on talking terms after 20 years. Surely it's time to bury the hatchet (and I don't mean in one or the other's skull...)

From my understanding DB made Frontier and Ian Bell wanted money even though he didn't help produce the game in anyway.
I'm more on DB's side here, although without Ian Bell there would have been no Elite. That said, Ian Bell effectively gave up on the games industry and was just trying to get some easy cash. (unless I've git the wrong end of the stick and that has nothing to do with their split)

I am here for my annual check up on Frontier Elite 4 news. I think it is ridiculous how Braben is keeping all this such as secret. Its only a game after all. Certainly there is nothing superbly brilliant about Elite or the subsequent Frontier games. I have played games just as good lately, Endless Space for one.

So anyway I have practically given up any hope of seeing anything on Elite 4 in my lifetime, its vapourware for all intents and purposes. I think Braben should just come out and say it in this forum that Elite 4 is vapourware, and let a lot of the people here who are hanging on in anticipation know where things stand. That would be the mature thing to do.

I am rapidly going off Frontier Developments for the very reason that they are treating all of us here like idiots, and probably having a real good laugh about this forum and the people here.

I don't think I will ever be coming back here again. Cheers, Braben, for nowt. Real nice of you.

Of course it isn't going to happen. or they would have made it by now. Just proves that its all about money, and money seems to be in console games at the moment. The fact of the matter is if they knocked up a half decent elite 4 that was be pc based, it would only get half the interest and half the profits than that of a big flashy console kinnect game. The fact of the matter is most of us true elite fans are living in the past when pc/amiga/atari st systems were primary gaming systems and were able to compete well in the gaming market. They aren't interested in concentrating all their efforts in a pc based space simulator when there are plenty of spoilt kids and moany teenagers that want to bounce around their rooms in front of their kinnect powered consoles. if elite 4 came out we are the minority that would shell out for it, but all the other moany forum trolling teenagers would pick it up and say "What is this ****? The graphics have already been done over and over again, they stole the story from eve, there is no way to complete it and as its pc based i cant even take it back to 'game' and trade it in for call of duty rar rar rar! this game is a fail and I'm going online to complain, because im young and my opinion is important online etc..."

That is why elite 4 will not darken our shelves. But hey I made the mistake of buying a kinnect which is now for sale and loads of crappy kinnect games toi go with it if anyone wants them.

I made the mistake of buying a kinnect which is now for sale and loads of crappy kinnect games toi go with it if anyone wants them.
You need to brush up on your sales technique :D

But seriously, I agree with everything you said/typed. The Elite 4 boat sailed a long time ago :(

Last edited:
Braben's from the oldskool, when games grew from passions, and Elite's as much his as ours. All the things he's said about E4, the constant questioning about it.. it must be on his mind every day.

I can't imagine what type of technological developments he'd still be waiting for (quantum computing?) but my impression is Elite has become more (pathological) procrastination than ancient history for him.

He really means to do it. Really...

Soon.... :(

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Braben's from the oldskool, when games grew from passions, and Elite's as much his as ours. All the things he's said about E4, the constant questioning about it.. it must be on his mind every day.

I can't imagine what type of technological developments he'd still be waiting for (quantum computing?) but my impression is Elite has become more (pathological) procrastination than ancient history for him.

He really means to do it. Really...

Soon.... :(

Really hope your right Bounder, sadly (myself included) the majority of posters on here feel that it's never going to happen.

More than anything the silence from Frontier is deafening.

:-(

Many of us here though are STILL playing Oolite and Frontier GL etc.
I love Pioneer as well, I always play it a little every month can't wait for that to have more gameplay elements.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom