News David Braben Live Chat Thread (5th June)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your answer it was sufficient enough. So here is the next question:

How do you plan to open the galaxy? Is this depends on the content not being ready yet or is it rather because you need to "handcraft" some specific systems?

Final question: Can we expect any bigger space for us opened before Standard Beta?

OMG, I thought god knew everything? :D:D:D

padlock view = target a ship, planet etc. and your view is locked on it... like automatic head look.. eyes fixed to the target as the ship moves. X-Wing Alliance had it and it so adds to the immersion of flight. s chuck Yeager said, loose sight - loose the flight!

...but you knew that anyway.

Thanks for the reply, means a lot.

Padlock view sounds awful imo.

Frank - "<puff puff> Am I too late? The game is going to be peppered with tributes. If you could pay homage to only one person, who would it be?"

Well, there is already a tribute that went into Alpha 4 (and is in PB1 too), to the excellent late Colin Pillinger and his Beagle 2 spacecraft - with the station "Beagle 2 Landing".

In Frontier there were plenty of tributes too - for example to the wonderful late Richard Feynman - the planet "Feynman" as the nearest exoplanet to Earth.

Makes me think of having a planet named Schrödinger that may, or may not be there :p

I've given up blocking questions in this thread :)

Michael

But you are going through the other thread first, aren't you?
That's how I understood it would work, and there are some people not present today who could just post in the other one, and I held back from posting in this one so far as it was clear it would be spammed.

Stellar systems that have not been explored will simply show the star or star(s) that can be seen there from a distance, and have a systematic name. Someone will have to explore them AND RETURN for them to become more generally known. They will also be able to stake a claim and name such a system.

That's interesting. I would have thought naming stellar objects would have been one of the micro-transaction revenue streams FD could have tapped into. I would assume FD will vet these names before they're accepted?

PB Pilot training

Enjoying the PB build, but wondering if the next drop could help those of us who may be suffering from CTD because of networking issues, by making the combat missions work the same way as in the Alpha single-player build (which never crashed for me) just so we can get our flying hours in, in a more stable build, before jumping back into multi-player?

Also, would it help to have PB testers run something like a "traffic simulator" app to help perform some distributed load/stress testing at some point before gamma?

That's how I understood it would work, and there are some people not present today who could just post in the other one, and I held back from posting in this one so far as it was clear it would be spammed.

Agreed there are questions on there from page 1 onwards from people who are in work and unable to attend this session.

Thanks DB for all the input so far! Lovely to hear from you.
My most pressing question is STILL about those frogs. The blue, slimy ones.

To put it into a different kind of question - are we getting that kind of "data on system" that might just, one day, give me a hint where I can find them? (Or as I said in the other thread, are they extinct?). With the number of planets/systems potentially out there, is the content generated "on the fly" as things are discovered, or pre-prepped/created from a seed well in advance?

I appreciate it probably won't be as tongue in cheek as the original, but how are you addressing populating the sheer scope of the galaxy with varied content? (And frogs).

Cheers for including "tea" in the tradeable items btw. If only I had a supply of chocolate digestives to go with them.....

Michael Brookes

Game Director

We're going through both threads, but they're not done in order. It's up to David what he answers.

Michael

David Braben

CEO & Founder
Frontier
Brodie - "Hello David, Walking around your ship and stations is something many of us are eager to see, but what practical in game function will the ability to move around your ship add to the game (beyond, of course, the awesome sense of immersion it will add).
I understand that Station & Ship exploration is planned for an expansion, is this expansion a certainty or is it dependant upon the profitability of the initial Elite Dangerous release?
You recently tweeted a picture of yourself playing Elite: Dangerous whilst wearing the Oculus DK2, can you please describe this experience, especially in comparison to playing Elite: Dangerous using the Oculus DK1. "

Moving around your ship feels a little pointless on its own, but when it comes to getting out of your ship, boarding other ships, having other players on board your ship, it becomes a lot more interesting - and this feeds in to Station and Ship exploration.

E:D on Oculus DK2 is great. The resolution is a big step to help with the immersion, as is the extra frame rate. The head-tracking also gives that little extra - you can lean forwards and down to see around the hull of your Lakon Type 9 for example, or lean beyond your chair to look back into the giant bridge deck.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom