DBX back from the black.

Hello everyone. I modded a dbx to do the 5000ly unlock palin thing.
Now I'm not an explorer so was dreading this endeavour. Scanning systems and detailed scans on places of interest etc. Thought it would be boring. So l built the ship to be robust to forgive a noob bouncing off a moon or flying to close to a star.
(Ships link below)
So... having engineered the ship spending less than 20 million credits, off I smugly, naively went.
Chose a random direction not anywhere near the places of interest. Jumped down a couple of hundred light years...and off I trotted.
A 1000 or so light years away the slog began. Having quickly scanned the first 1000ly. I quickly found New undiscovered systems. Now I began to get interested. I found about 100 new systems there and back. Stopped outward soon as the palin email arrived. Next day I slogged back to my faction handed it in...wow.. now I get it. The excitement. Not so much the cash but not to be sniffed at.
But I got the explorer bug now.
The ship only has 54ly jump but that's fine. Next time I go out I'll lose the collector limped controller and shield boosters. And No! Not my shields hehe..had a few incidents on moons with buggy. And I boosted into a moon surface too whilst falling asleep at the helm.
So shields for me..
Did think of a paper ship but l know I would not have made it. Takes great skill to keep out in the black with one of those.
So...
To anyone like me who is new...scared, and not so rich. This ship I do recommend.
Oh which leads to my question.
When I got back to hand in cartography I checked ships integrity and it was 81%. Was there any way to fix that whilst out in the black ?
Exploring is amazing. And I love it.

Last edited:
Cool to read! Engineering brought me to unknown fields as well, doing something very different now from what I've been doing for years(y)

Bally good show old bean, what.

I am orf in the big black at present exploring the neighbourhood.

It is true that once that bug bites you, you are obsessed, what what.

Keep up the good work and do try awfully not to die, what what.

Tatty bye and may I also venture, stiff upper lip also what what

Nice build.The only improvement i would suggest is to swap the collector limpet controller for hull repair limpet controller.
With reference to your question, integrity can only be refreshed in maintenance (like the power plant), but as i understand it, nothing is critically affected even if it reaches 0%, so you wont get stranded if that happens, but your modules will become more vulnerable and prone to malfunction.
Thr DBX is an excellent ship, just watch out for those pesky high G landings.Happy travels.

The integrity of the ship - I just touched on this subject in this thread. As far as I know the only way of repairing it is at stations - AFMUs wont touch it.
But it doesn't make any difference, as when you reach 0% integrity, nothing happens, as far as I know.

I myself wondered that and then being pragmatic tested it. Drove SRV with some speed against big rock. Shields on, shields off. Same damage.

While what you say is true, I personally keep my shields on as SRV fuel is cheap (it's simply lying about on planets :) ), and if you come across anything you want to shoot, it saves having to wait for the shields to charge again.

While what you say is true, I personally keep my shields on as SRV fuel is cheap (it's simply lying about on planets :) ), and if you come across anything you want to shoot, it saves having to wait for the shields to charge again.
Well I had little situation, after some heavy engineering and material trade I found out I had only 1 unit of sulphur left. And I found it while driving SRV, in the middle of long stretch of nothing. Somehow fuel lasted with heavy duty rationing untill I found some missing sulphur.

I seem to remember in the distant past when my integrity got low, weird things started happening to the ship systems during combat, but since then always kept the integrity topped up; however, I just returned from a trip to Sag. A to find that the ship's integrity was zero, and I didn't see anything bad happen.

And currently doing some long distance driving so I want to push fuel economy as much as I can...

The distance doesn't matter. I kept my shields active for the whole journey around Kumay*. :) I usually let my fuel completely run out before filling up, and depending upon the driving conditions I'll often use that as an excuse for a break.

The lack of sulphur could be an issue, but that's one material that you should be able to find almost instantly on any planet.

* On reflection, I think I'm lying. I seem to remember experimenting with turning shields off on that trip as various people recommended keeping them off. After several hours, I came to the conclusion that the benefit (longer run before refueling) is not really worth it.

Last edited:
I seem to remember in the distant past when my integrity got low, weird things started happening to the ship systems during combat,

I believe that was the original intent. But it wasn't well implemented (if it affects you and you can't fix it without a space station visit, long exploration missions suddenly become very difficult), so was disabled.

If you have not unlocked the Guardian Modules, perhaps consider it as the FSD Booster will give you up to another 10LY jump range, worth it on longer journeys.

The FSD boosters are the only Guardian module I have unlocked, and they are well worth it. It means that my Chieftain and Challenger both have jump range of slightly over 30Lys, and that is in full combat set-up. I no longer use my AspX for hopping around the bubble. :)

Hello everyone. I modded a dbx to do the 5000ly unlock palin thing.
Now I'm not an explorer so was dreading this endeavour. Scanning systems and detailed scans on places of interest etc. Thought it would be boring. So l built the ship to be robust to forgive a noob bouncing off a moon or flying to close to a star.
(Ships link below)
So... having engineered the ship spending less than 20 million credits, off I smugly, naively went.
Chose a random direction not anywhere near the places of interest. Jumped down a couple of hundred light years...and off I trotted.
A 1000 or so light years away the slog began. Having quickly scanned the first 1000ly. I quickly found New undiscovered systems. Now I began to get interested. I found about 100 new systems there and back. Stopped outward soon as the palin email arrived. Next day I slogged back to my faction handed it in...wow.. now I get it. The excitement. Not so much the cash but not to be sniffed at.
But I got the explorer bug now.
The ship only has 54ly jump but that's fine. Next time I go out I'll lose the collector limped controller and shield boosters. And No! Not my shields hehe..had a few incidents on moons with buggy. And I boosted into a moon surface too whilst falling asleep at the helm.
So shields for me..
Did think of a paper ship but l know I would not have made it. Takes great skill to keep out in the black with one of those.
So...
To anyone like me who is new...scared, and not so rich. This ship I do recommend.
Oh which leads to my question.
When I got back to hand in cartography I checked ships integrity and it was 81%. Was there any way to fix that whilst out in the black ?
Exploring is amazing. And I love it.
Well done CMDR. My recent first attempt at Palin didn't go so well... https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...ions-a-tale-of-so-near-and-yet-so-far.539376/

Anyway - I made a second trip and got out to Omega Nebula (without stopping to scan). I'm just mooching around there ATM. I'll probably take the scenic route back scanning as I go.

I'm assuming your integrity question is about the hull... An auto field repair unit will fix many things but not the hull, your power plant, a shattered canopy, or itself.

I was not aware until I got to Omega, but there is a mining colony asteroid base there. I was able to get a couple of % integrity loss repaired at the base... I assume there must be other such bases scattered about as well - It might be quite a trip to get to one, but likely easier then back to the bubble!... I was also able to cash in my basic scan exploration data at the omega mining colony (so I have that banked in case of further mishaps)

I too used a DBX for my run. Great ship, annoying engine noise!
(added few mins afer posting) My loadout: https://edsy.org/#/L=Fi0HOfo0H4C0S0...07PyG070_W0BZY101IM1003w100nG202jw40,,MC_D22D

Last edited:
The DBX is a great little ship. Pretty cheap and you can get a 55ly range even without the Guardian booster with engineering - almost all what you need can be done by Felicity Farseer. You can carry a decent amount of kit, mine has shields, dual SRV bay etc.

I caught the exploration bug similar to the OP, did my 5000 ly out for Prof Palin a couple of months ago and I'm currently back out in the black in my trusty DBX. I'm mulling over heading to Colonia later too, currently in a reasonably untouched region so picking up a load of first discoveries at the moment

Top Bottom