Ships DBX build tips.

So, I've got this ship in a mostly unengineered state. I love it. I would fly the KraitP or the mk2 eventually, but for now I'm just so in love with the DBX. I am mostly just flitting about in the void, then I come back for engineering and exploration turnin. Any advice for me on the build side of things?

DBX Amethyst Star is my main ship, minus the engineering. Am I off entirely? Have I overlooked something?

I'm quite comfortable leaving off shields and just repairing on the rare bump or scrape. Now, if I could only repair my power plant too, I'd be all set! /wink

Hello,
Lightweight alloy - heavy duty class 5, deep plating weight is still 0t, but much tougher.
Anything else looks quite ok,

Thanks a bunch! I wasn't really quite sure on the concept of mass increase when the item weighs nothing. Like the DSS +100% mass is just... well, 0. lol

Dont you need a refinery? since you are talking mining guns? Also.. Sure you do not want a shield?

I would take a rated life support. 7.5 minutes is very short time IF you get into trouble

If you want to live dangerously, dropping to a size 4 fuel tank will give you an extra 3 ly laden/unladen.
Depending on how you want to use it, you shouldn't need the xeno scanner, and I'm not sure you can mine raw materials with the abrasion blaster.

you can spare the mats for the shielded afmu/fuelscoop, as their integrity doesnt mean much out in the black
where - if at all - you get percentage based damage spread over your modules.

I personally would prefer a Research Limpet Controller or even a SuperCruiseAssi instead of a 2nd afmu.
An afmu can work fine with just 1% integrity, and if it somehow got this low, you should already have bigger problems with your power plant ;)
Also you can drop the abrasion blaster, instead you may put a RailGun with PlasmaSlug to have a tool to dump fuel if necessary :)

Test the repair limpets, didnt used them for a long time, but if I remember correctly the 1D repairs just a very small amount, so it may cost a lot in materials for limpets and time if you have to bulge some hull ;)

And, as already mentioned, check a human tech broker for that FSD++, the DBX likes it a lot :)

This is how I fully engineered my dbx. In choosing between supercruise control and shield, I chose the former. It's pretty easy to land even on high G planets without a shield without taking damage by using FA OFF, and I always evade NPC interdictions, so I find the shield kind of pointless for exploration.

Last edited:
Hello,
I also use a shielded fuel scoop, scoop has zero Mass.
Thank you for the suggestion, I've implemented them in my build! :)

Dont you need a refinery? since you are talking mining guns? Also.. Sure you do not want a shield?

I would take a rated life support. 7.5 minutes is very short time IF you get into trouble
I brought the mining laser, as I thought I could extract a few crafting materials from asteroids if needed for synthesis without a refinery? Have I really been flying around without the gear I need? lol
If I get in trouble where I fly, even an A-rated life support wouldn't give me enough time to get anywhere safe. ;)

If you want to live dangerously, dropping to a size 4 fuel tank will give you an extra 3 ly laden/unladen.
Depending on how you want to use it, you shouldn't need the xeno scanner, and I'm not sure you can mine raw materials with the abrasion blaster.
I've been tampering with fuel size, but for my comfort, I think I'm staying with the max version.
The xeno scanner is in case I come across any flying turtles in space! :D
I feel silly for bringing the AB with me now. :)

Also, if you haven't already, replace your FSD with the double engineered one from the recent CG.
This, will be my next thing! Thank you for pointing this out to me, I couldn't find it on coriolis.

you can spare the mats for the shielded afmu/fuelscoop, as their integrity doesnt mean much out in the black
where - if at all - you get percentage based damage spread over your modules.

I personally would prefer a Research Limpet Controller or even a SuperCruiseAssi instead of a 2nd afmu.
An afmu can work fine with just 1% integrity, and if it somehow got this low, you should already have bigger problems with your power plant ;)
Also you can drop the abrasion blaster, instead you may put a RailGun with PlasmaSlug to have a tool to dump fuel if necessary :)

Test the repair limpets, didnt used them for a long time, but if I remember correctly the 1D repairs just a very small amount, so it may cost a lot in materials for limpets and time if you have to bulge some hull ;)

And, as already mentioned, check a human tech broker for that FSD++, the DBX likes it a lot :)
Good point on the material savings, will skip those. I will also being adding that RsLC to my build instead of the extra AMFU. So far, the damage has been negligible enough to not need a heftier RpLC.
Fitting the RG with the PlasmaSlug is on the to-do list now! :D
The CG FSD++ is my new goal! :D

This is how I fully engineered my dbx. In choosing between supercruise control and shield, I chose the former. It's pretty easy to land even on high G planets without a shield without taking damage by using FA OFF, and I always evade NPC interdictions, so I find the shield kind of pointless for exploration.
I agree, shields are never really an issue for me out there.

I brought the mining laser, as I thought I could extract a few crafting materials from asteroids if needed for synthesis without a refinery? Have I really been flying around without the gear I need?
no refinery needed to scoop the mats for synthesis.
You should prefer to get them with an srv from geological or biological sites.
The mining laser is just a safety net in case you loose your srv, thats why a small one should be enough :)

no refinery needed to scoop the mats for synthesis.
You should prefer to get them with an srv from geological or biological sites.
The mining laser is just a safety net in case you loose your srv, thats why a small one should be enough :)
Thanks for the clarification! I've lost very few SRVs before being able to synth repair. :) Belts AND suspenders, but I've yet to need either safety feature! :) I will definitely swap it for the railgun.

In other news, The Dweller just blew up my ship after inviting me to visit. Very rude! lol

Mining Laser:
I don't bother with mining laser. To get dangerous low in synthesis mats AND lose your SRV means its time to go to the local DSSA fleet carrier and get fixed up, and then stock up on raw materials. I have never lost an SRV.

Limpet Controller:
I don't do a lot of neutron star jumping so no repair limpet controller. Again, DSSA fleet carriers all over, no need for hull to get below 90% ever.

Supercruise Assist:
I travel with supercruise assist. I don't use it for travelling in supercruise. I use it for the auto-dethrottle at the end of each jump. Prevents getting scorched when I get distracted.

Edit

Shields:
I like shields. Allows some forgiveness if I get distracted.

Thrusters:
I always used clean + strpped. But then with more investigation dirty gives better speed and has no effect with handling or temperature (DBX) in SC.Stripped gives less than .1LY improvement. So I now go Dirty+Drag. If outside of supercruise you want less heat then go clean. But Dirty&Drag will give you the best thrusters.

Last edited:
Mining Laser:
I don't bother with mining laser. To get dangerous low in synthesis mats AND lose your SRV means its time to go to the local DSSA fleet carrier and get fixed up, and then stock up on raw materials. I have never lost an SRV.

Limpet Controller:
I don't do a lot of neutron star jumping so no repair limpet controller. Again, DSSA fleet carriers all over, no need for hull to get below 90% ever.

Supercruise Assist:
I travel with supercruise assist. I don't use it for travelling in supercruise. I use it for the auto-dethrottle at the end of each jump. Prevents getting scorched when I get distracted.

Edit

Shields:
I like shields. Allows some forgiveness if I get distracted.

Thrusters:
I always used clean + strpped. But then with more investigation dirty gives better speed and has no effect with handling or temperature (DBX) in SC.Stripped gives less than .1LY improvement. So I now go Dirty+Drag. If outside of supercruise you want less heat then go clean. But Dirty&Drag will give you the best thrusters.
Good bits of advice there, thanks for the perspective. :) I'm fully planning on avoiding super-jumps in the future, so I'll only really need the limpets for the occasional bump. It's super rare that I mess up and running without a shield makes me more focused on what I'm doing. The dethrottle is priceless, but using HOTAS makes the dethrottle muscle-memory by now. ^^

Dirty Drag will be the name of my next ship! lol

Oh, just in case you're new... DSSA Fleet carriers are player owned but stationed in reliable dependable locations around the galaxy. It makes for easy repairs and they have cartographers you can sell your data. Significantly reduces exploration risk. Also you can have modules you left in storage back home sent there. So If you aren't sure if you want some crazy module buy it and leave it in storage. Get it later if you want it.

https://edastro.com/galmap/?layer=regions&pins=DSSAcarriers

Oh, just in case you're new... DSSA Fleet carriers are player owned but stationed in reliable dependable locations around the galaxy. It makes for easy repairs and they have cartographers you can sell your data. Significantly reduces exploration risk. Also you can have modules you left in storage back home sent there. So If you aren't sure if you want some crazy module buy it and leave it in storage. Get it later if you want it.

https://edastro.com/galmap/?layer=regions&pins=DSSAcarriers
I've been gone for so long that I might as well be new. :) Thanks for the pointer!

Top Bottom