DCS World News 2017

I've been watching quite some dcs youtubes lately and what I notice is that many use vr, it looks awesome btw, do you guys use vr too and is it a unwritten necessity?

Since I switched from pc to console the only thing I realy miss is a good flight sim and Hotas.
Dcs looks so good that I might even consider buying a pc again, you need a quite powerful system to run this in all it's glory I presume?
It's not. Been playing 4 years without headlook gear. But I can say that it's a massive disadvantage in A2A combat. You need a decent system for DCS, not necessarily high end but it is quite taxing. Bring decent memory. And SSD install.
And then try out the cluster bombs.

It's not. Been playing 4 years without headlook gear. But I can say that it's a massive disadvantage in A2A combat. You need a decent system for DCS, not necessarily high end but it is quite taxing. Bring decent memory. And SSD install.
And then try out the cluster bombs.

Thanks for your input.
I've tried vr a couple times at my cousin's house and got sick, realy sick.
I was afraid that to be able to play dcs realy well you'd need vr, which isn't an option apparently.
I'm not sure yet if I want to invest in a pc again but dcs looks incredible.
I've played a lot of flight sims in the past, most of the Jane's sims and some others too.

Xbox gets the new flight simulator sometime next year but it's just not the same on console, especially without a proper Hotas.
The Thrustmaster Hotas One looks ok but is nothing in comparison to what I had.

WHilst VR is very immersive (and nausea inducing for some) the alternative is some form of head/eyetracking device. Relatively cheap when compared to VR rigs too. I use the Tobii 4C head/eyetracker...which is very good, excellent in E-D but has limited flight sim support outside of that.

Track IR headtracker is still one of the favourites...I gave mine away when I got hold of the Tobii...seriously wish I hadn't.

Thanks for your input.
I've tried vr a couple times at my cousin's house and got sick, realy sick.
I was afraid that to be able to play dcs realy well you'd need vr, which isn't an option apparently.
I'm not sure yet if I want to invest in a pc again but dcs looks incredible.
I've played a lot of flight sims in the past, most of the Jane's sims and some others too.

Xbox gets the new flight simulator sometime next year but it's just not the same on console, especially without a proper Hotas.
The Thrustmaster Hotas One looks ok but is nothing in comparison to what I had.
IR-Tracker or ED Tracker should work just fine. I need to install some stuff to have EDtracker emulate IR-thing but you get basically the same as VR without the nausea. Tho, things dont use as much in the sim - I mean, what do I know - I'm a ground-hog anyway.

WHilst VR is very immersive (and nausea inducing for some) the alternative is some form of head/eyetracking device. Relatively cheap when compared to VR rigs too. I use the Tobii 4C head/eyetracker...which is very good, excellent in E-D but has limited flight sim support outside of that.

Track IR headtracker is still one of the favourites...I gave mine away when I got hold of the Tobii...seriously wish I hadn't.

I just watched a couple TrackIr 5 youtubes and I think that would be a perfect solution for me.

I've been looking around for a gaming pc, I don't want to assemble my own from scratch like I did in the past, and came up with this.

It's in Dutch but specs should be understandable.
I've been out of the loop for quite some years now but this seems like a reasonable good pc.
I'm open to other recommendations.

I play DCS and ED with my TrackIR and won't consider playing without it. Really helps my situational awareness (SA) when I can turn my head to keep a boogie in sight.

I just watched a couple TrackIr 5 youtubes and I think that would be a perfect solution for me.

I've been looking around for a gaming pc, I don't want to assemble my own from scratch like I did in the past, and came up with this.

I've been out of the loop for quite some years now but this seems like a reasonable good pc.
That's a pretty good rig...decent specs. (y)

As for the Track IR 5...get one with the pro-clip...saves you wearing a silly hat when playing since it clips onto your headset.

That's a pretty good rig...decent specs. (y)

In the past I used to know all ins and outs regarding graphics cards, cpu, memory, etc. but it's been years and have no idea what's good or not.
This seemed ok but for all I know it could be mediocre at best.
We have a pc gaming shop in our city and I'll go there to get me informed.
I'll tell them what I want to use it for and see what they come up with.

The TrackIr looks very cool, never had something like that in the old days.

I used to have a Hotas Cougar and I'm looking for something comparable, the Warthog looks nice but the stick doesn't even have a base, just a plate as far as I can tell.
I still have a Saitek Xsomething in the attick but it's a bit to sci fi for me and it's quite worn.

And there's my wife I'll have to convince.......ugh:)

It's OK, I'd prefer a larger SSD and more memory, but that will be more than sufficient for DCS purposes. Amazing how good I can understand Dutch - it's not really complicated sentences, but still. I should visit Netherlands again.

In the past I used to know all ins and outs regarding graphics cards, cpu, memory, etc. but it's been years and have no idea what's good or not.
This seemed ok but for all I know it could be mediocre at best.
We have a pc gaming shop in our city and I'll go there to get me informed.
I'll tell them what I want to use it for and see what they come up with.

The TrackIr looks very cool, never had something like that in the old days.

I used to have a Hotas Cougar and I'm looking for something comparable, the Warthog looks nice but the stick doesn't even have a base, just a plate as far as I can tell.
I still have a Saitek Xsomething in the attick but it's a bit to sci fi for me and it's quite worn.

And there's my wife I'll have to convince.......ugh:)
The Warthog is a great HOTAS...but a bit too expensive for my tastes. I've stuck with the Logitech X56 RGB...now that Logitech have taken over from Saitek. It has everything you'll ever need for flight simming.

Another great HOTAS setup is the Logitech X52 Pro-flight...one of the most popular HOTAS rigs on the market and cheaper than it's big brother, the X56. I've used both extensively...can't recommend them highly enough.

As for the PC...the CPU and mobo are higher end stuff..Graphics card...still not got into the RTX cards since they're over priced and I still run my GTX 1080ti. Like above...I'd go for something with a bit larger SSD and more RAM...32GB is enough..16-24GB is a bit light for the spec of the machine. The RAM and SSD you can add/upgrade at a later point though, the basic machine in that advert is a good one.

Last edited:
The Warthog is a great HOTAS...but a bit too expensive for my tastes. I've stuck with the Logitech X56 RGB...now that Logitech have taken over from Saitek. It has everything you'll ever need for flight simming.

Another great HOTAS setup is the Logitech X52 Pro-flight...one of the most popular HOTAS rigs on the market and cheaper than it's big brother, the X56. I've used both extensively...can't recommend them highly enough.

As for the PC...the CPU and mobo are higher end stuff..Graphics card...still not got into the RTX cards since they're over priced and I still run my GTX 1080ti. Like above...I'd go for something with a bit larger SSD and more RAM...32GB is enough..16-24GB is a bit light for the spec of the machine. The RAM and SSD you can add/upgrade at a later point though, the basic machine in that advert is a good one.

Ooooh, I just looked at the Saitek X56 Rhino, that looks like a fine Hotas, with dual throttle etc. and adjustable springs too.

As I said, I'll have me advised at our local pc gaming shop and I'll keep more ram in mind as well as a bigger ssd.
The local shop is quite known in the region, they've got about everything it seems, complete seats with hydrolic feedback etc. quite impressive imho.
I'm sure they can give me some advice, I'd like to buy my stuff locally instead of online, it's much more convenient when something goes wrong.

It's been such a long time since I played a proper flight sim and I was realy starting to miss it, especially now ED starts to loose my interest more and more.
I used to be a military aircraft spotter many years ago and have even flown with a KDC-10 tanker of the Royal Dutch Airforce refueling F-16 and F-15e fighters over the North Sea, so yeah I love jetfighters.
I've got tons of pictures of aircraft that don't even fly anymore, Phantoms, Starfighters, Bucaneers, Tomcat, etc.

Ooooh, I just looked at the Saitek X56 Rhino, that looks like a fine Hotas, with dual throttle etc. and adjustable springs too.

As I said, I'll have me advised at our local pc gaming shop and I'll keep more ram in mind as well as a bigger ssd.
The local shop is quite known in the region, they've got about everything it seems, complete seats with hydrolic feedback etc. quite impressive imho.
I'm sure they can give me some advice, I'd like to buy my stuff locally instead of online, it's much more convenient when something goes wrong.

It's been such a long time since I played a proper flight sim and I was realy starting to miss it, especially now ED starts to loose my interest more and more.
I used to be a military aircraft spotter many years ago and have even flown with a KDC-10 tanker of the Royal Dutch Airforce refueling F-16 and F-15e fighters over the North Sea, so yeah I love jetfighters.
I've got tons of pictures of aircraft that don't even fly anymore, Phantoms, Starfighters, Bucaneers, Tomcat, etc.

Current temporary set up with the X56 since I moved house...still not got the tools out to make a new desk :rolleyes:
Strange that the right hand monitor looks smaller than the left in the pic...they're both identical 28" monitors.

uMVW28V.jpg

Last edited:
Current temporary set up with the X56 since I moved house...still not got the tools out to make a new desk :rolleyes:
Strange that the right hand monitor looks smaller than the left in the pic...they're both identical 28" monitors.

uMVW28V.jpg

Very nice setup!!!

I recently sold my tuner car, a Mazda 6 MPS, that I used for circuit racing.
A guy I know well crashed with his car and was severely injured, my wife realy wanted me to stop racing after she heard that and I can understand that.
So with the money I got for my car I can buy a nice gaming pc with all bells and whistles, plus my oldest just moved out of the house permanently so I can make her room into a man cave hehe😀

I'll just move on to virtual flying and racing, I'm 53 and my reaction time isn't what it used to be so it'll be a lot saver then real racing, quite a bit cheaper too.

A large screen also helps. Targets are kind tiny on mine.

That's unfortunately something combat flight sims always struggle with. Even modern resolutions aren't good enough to provide the kind of eyeball target sighting and identification that would match reality. Model upscaling and/or labels are a sad necessity if you're not to roleplay as a half-blind pilot.

DCS: F-16C Viper – Release Trailer

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXZsi7CTpys

On 3 October 2019 we will be releasing our DCS: F-16C Viper into early access. This has been a rapid development due to an incredibly hard-working team and the technology and knowhow created for the Hornet. Both products will now move ahead in parallel and benefit from each other.

The initial release will be on the Open Beta version of DCS World. Later, it will be released on the “Stable” version.

Thank you so much for the support and encouragement during this development!

Please note that the pre-order discount will be ending within the next 24 hours.

Ugh, the detail on that Viper is astonishing and I know them well, we've had the F-16 for decades in the Netherlands and I've seen them verry up close verry often.
I even had the chance to controll the pavetack once, so cool how it can lock on to heat sources etc.
We were on the ground but got a tour through the maintenance facilities where they showed us some stuff from within the cockpit.

Soon we'll get the F-35, a great replacement but I'm gonna miss the Vipers.
We're just a small country but at our haydays we had about 250 of them.

Once I get my new man cave in order and get to actually buying my new gaming rig I'll definitely include the Viper when I get DCS.
I can't wait realy but with my health redecorating the room isn't going as fast as I would like to.
My patience will be rewarded in the end no doubt.

My first contact with DCS 16 was a blast. And the plane is just "plug and play" if you have a Warthog hotas. Fun fact, after flying with F/A and A-10 I was able to successfully operate GBU laser guided delivery with no manual/tutorial whatsoever - VERY easy to manage so far! (thank you Lockheed
smile.gif
)

Top Bottom